• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Under 19 World Cup Thread***

Chubb

International Regular
Sean Williams isn't going to be too confident after that. I didn't know Woodman was a batter of any ability- Somerset have been playing him as a pure bowler.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Nice win, but i see one thing missing from that scorecard, Piyush Chawla. India are more then just a one man team, but when you take out one of the best Under 19 cricketers in the world, it makes a big difference. Hopefully this win goes to their head.

Looking at this result and Engand result im not going to be reading too much into the warm ups. England and Sri Lanka aren't that good and Pakistan and India aren't that bad.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Nice win, but i see one thing missing from that scorecard, Piyush Chawla. India are more then just a one man team, but when you take out one of the best Under 19 cricketers in the world, it makes a big difference. Hopefully this win goes to their head.

Looking at this result and Engand result im not going to be reading too much into the warm ups. England and Sri Lanka aren't that good and Pakistan and India aren't that bad.
Don't see Nepal beating India :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
They don't have to until the Super 8s, all they have to is beat England.
And Zimbabwe. And Ireland.

EDIT - This might be immensely childish, but it's certainly revitalised this thread. Anyone else up for putting their pride (and avatars) on the line?

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Chubb said:
I didn't know Woodman was a batter of any ability- Somerset have been playing him as a pure bowler.
He's pretty handy - he got 46 against Worcestershire I think.

TIF

U19 Debutant
An "upset" of sorts has happened in the warm-ups with England, considered as no-hopers and being said as that they will lose to Nepal after having lost 11 matches in a row to Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, have caused an "upset" by beating India, the title favourites and having won the Afro-Asia cup and having beaten Australia 4-1.

This has made the world cup look interesting, and not only 8, but 13 teams look like having a chance to lift the u-19 world cup. The only no-hopers are USA, Uganda and Namibia. All the others can win or cause an "upset" here or there, but then at u-19 level, dont think "upset" will be the right word as stranger things have happened in the u-19 world cups -

Australia not being in the super-8s in 2004 and finishing as plate runner-ups.
Nepal, having a competitive team and having beaten Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa in the last 2 world-cups.
Namibia having beaten Sri Lanka once in 2002.
Zimbabwe thrashing Australia and Bangladesh beating them as well in 2004.
Bangladesh, being one of the favourites and not minnows.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:

EDIT - This might be immensely childish, but it's certainly revitalised this thread. Anyone else up for putting their pride (and avatars) on the line?
not after the ashes/pietersen "debacle"

think i'll give it a miss this time

open365

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Yes.

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:

If New Zealand don't beat one of Pakistan or Bangladesh (or whoever the decent teams are in their group) then I will have Ashley Giles as my avatar for a month and put in my sig - 'I love Ashley Giles'

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
If New Zealand don't beat one of Pakistan or Bangladesh (or whoever the decent teams are in their group) then I will have Ashley Giles as my avatar for a month and put in my sig - 'I love Ashley Giles'
he is my avatar already :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
TIF said:
An "upset" of sorts has happened in the warm-ups with England, considered as no-hopers and being said as that they will lose to Nepal after having lost 11 matches in a row to Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, have caused an "upset" by beating India, the title favourites and having won the Afro-Asia cup and having beaten Australia 4-1.

This has made the world cup look interesting, and not only 8, but 13 teams look like having a chance to lift the u-19 world cup. The only no-hopers are USA, Uganda and Namibia. All the others can win or cause an "upset" here or there, but then at u-19 level, dont think "upset" will be the right word as stranger things have happened in the u-19 world cups -

Australia not being in the super-8s in 2004 and finishing as plate runner-ups.
Nepal, having a competitive team and having beaten Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa in the last 2 world-cups.
Namibia having beaten Sri Lanka once in 2002.
Zimbabwe thrashing Australia and Bangladesh beating them as well in 2004.
Bangladesh, being one of the favourites and not minnows.
The same Uganda who thumped Ireland today, with a 14 year old taking 3/43?

Rosh

School Boy/Girl Captain
luckyeddie said:
Now we're talking without kukris here, aren't we?
With or withour Khukri, mind it, Nepal has already tasted blood..............
Keep your eyes wide open for the things to come.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rosh said:
With or withour Khukri, mind it, Nepal has already tasted blood..............
Keep your eyes wide open for the things to come.
I hope so - they will definitely be my third team in the contest (behind England and Jack's Aussies).

Mmmmmmm, got a taste for bhat now - much nicer than blood.