• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under-19 World Cup- South Africa 2024

Silver Silva

International Debutant
it's cricket. if they can't cop some pressure and/or criticism at this age they'll never win a world cup when they're older too.
India have won 3 of the last 7 editions of the U19 WC post 2011 (When they last won the senior WC) , there is so much hardwork involved to get to the top that whatever you do at age group cricket won't count for much, a lot of these youngsters won't make it to international level..so it's most important to have fun, build friendships and play with passion ..most of these guys aren't professional so it doesn't cost a thing to be supportive.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India have won 3 of the last 7 editions of the U19 WC post 2011 (When they last won the senior WC) , there is so much hardwork involved to get to the top that whatever you do at age group cricket won't count for much, a lot of these youngsters won't make it to international level..so it's most important to have fun, build friendships and play with passion ..most of these guys aren't professional so it doesn't cost a thing to be supportive.
This period started with an Unmukt Chand-led India victory?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whether anyone wants to accept it or not, it is also a clear fact that the level of expectations and scrutiny an Indian cricketer goes through is just infinitely so much more that it is basically incomparable to what any other player goes through. Somehow, this is where MSD was unique and the aspect that we miss most from his days. He somehow made the team feel like its just a game.

Burgey

Just another day here in the greatest country on earth, waking up to the standard sort of news of another ICC trophy for the nation’s trophy room.

Molehill

International Captain
Spot on team. 4 Indians, 3 Ozzies, 2 Saffers, 1 Pakistani & 1 West Indian.

I'd say Tazeem Ali (Eng) is a little unlucky not to be included. 14 wickets in 4 matches at 9.6 was right up there with the best spinners in the tournament.

Aus somehow find a way to win again, rode their luck in the semi and then got the ideal pitch really in the final. Having watched a lot of it (unlike some of the bandwagon boys posting now), still not convinced it was a vintage one. Aus had players who offered solid contributions without having any real standouts (maybe Vidler will be one, not sure).

The only real player in the whole thing who just smacked future star was Maphaka - although he still has to join the queue of SA left arm seamers waiting for International spots.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd say Tazeem Ali (Eng) is a little unlucky not to be included. 14 wickets in 4 matches at 9.6 was right up there with the best spinners in the tournament.

Aus somehow find a way to win again, rode their luck in the semi and then got the ideal pitch really in the final. Having watched a lot of it (unlike some of the bandwagon boys posting now), still not convinced it was a vintage one. Aus had players who offered solid contributions without having any real standouts (maybe Vidler will be one, not sure).

The only real player in the whole thing who just smacked future star was Maphaka - although he still has to join the queue of SA left arm seamers waiting for International spots.
Beardman will likely play Shield in the reasonably near future (he's already played a one day game for WA). I'm less confident about any of the batting, if anything the most promising batsman on the evidence of this tournament is Peake - and he has the first grade stats to back that up - but he really is just a kid, it might be a while before we see him at FC level. Though if he keeps averaging 90 then it might not. Konstas looks miles off, Weibgen looks good though he'll need to prove his way in Grade, Dixon I guess will get a BBL debut next season.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Beardman will likely play Shield in the reasonably near future (he's already played a one day game for WA). I'm less confident about any of the batting, if anything the most promising batsman on the evidence of this tournament is Peake - and he has the first grade stats to back that up - but he really is just a kid, it might be a while before we see him at FC level. Though if he keeps averaging 90 then it might not.
Yeah, willing to offer the batsmen a bit more slack as this did seem a relatively bowler friendly tournament....unless it just turns out the batsmen weren't actually that good.

There wasn't a massive difference between 6 or even 7 teams. The stupid format certainly helped some and hindered others.

Be interesting to see which names come through over the next few years...

Spark

Global Moderator
Whether anyone wants to accept it or not, it is also a clear fact that the level of expectations and scrutiny an Indian cricketer goes through is just infinitely so much more that it is basically incomparable to what any other player goes through. Somehow, this is where MSD was unique and the aspect that we miss most from his days. He somehow made the team feel like its just a game.
Is it really the case that there were idiots posting about how this would be a "revenge" final in the lead-up and spotlighting individual pressures? That's crazy and totally unnecessary pressure to be put under when you're just a kid finding your way and it ultimately doesn't actually matter that much if you win or lose.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Is it really the case that there were idiots posting about how this would be a "revenge" final in the lead-up and spotlighting individual pressures? That's crazy and totally unnecessary pressure to be put under when you're just a kid finding your way and it ultimately doesn't actually matter that much if you win or lose.
yes there was and now they’re on their backs for failing to exact it and are already calling them bottlers who wont achieve anything like the seniors

Indian average fan culture is ****ing toxic

Spikey

it's honestly so inspiring that this Aus U19 team had to deal with an incredibly unfair 2 day shorter break before the final and they still kicked the other team's butts.

Molehill

International Captain
yes there was and now they’re on their backs for failing to exact it and are already calling them bottlers who wont achieve anything like the seniors

Indian average fan culture is ****ing toxic
That's horrific. It's an U19 comp, played in SA with a Final on a very seam friendly pitch. I'm not sure more than about 20k people in the UK were even aware this tournament was happening.

Having said that, I'm always amused by Indian fans on Twitter. I'm not sure I've seen a single Stuart Broad tweet that doesn't have a reference to Yuvraj somewhere in the replies!!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Beardman will likely play Shield in the reasonably near future (he's already played a one day game for WA). I'm less confident about any of the batting, if anything the most promising batsman on the evidence of this tournament is Peake - and he has the first grade stats to back that up - but he really is just a kid, it might be a while before we see him at FC level. Though if he keeps averaging 90 then it might not. Konstas looks miles off, Weibgen looks good though he'll need to prove his way in Grade, Dixon I guess will get a BBL debut next season.
Be interesting to see how many of the Aussie quicks make it big. Pace and bounce may work wonders by themselves at u19 level but that’s not going to cut it at the higher levels.

the history of this tournament suggests that most pace bowlers who look really impressive at this level don’t make it in the senior grades.

There are countless examples Anwar Ali , Aaron Bird, Nathan Buck, Ronsford Beaton, Jerome Jones, yomahesh, Bjorne kops, shivam mavi

counterexamples are far fewer: Rabada of course then hazlewood and boult/southee

Last edited: