• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tour Matches

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Hilfy out for Hauritz would be the only change I'd make to the bowling. Can't see them dropping any of the quicks from Leeds to make room for Lee so it's pointless playing him vs the Lions. Johnson and Siddle need to just keep on bowling.
I doubt that Hilfy is going anywhere for the next couple of tests. Whether or not Lee is in selectors minds at all for the next test isn't the only reason that he is playing this game, the more match practice he gets before the ODIs and T20s the better. Agree about Johnson but Siddle needs to learn how to bowl better if he wants to play lots of test cricket.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I doubt that Hilfy is going anywhere for the next couple of tests. Whether or not Lee is in selectors minds at all for the next test isn't the only reason that he is playing this game, the more match practice he gets before the ODIs and T20s the better. Agree about Johnson but Siddle needs to learn how to bowl better if he wants to play lots of test cricket.
Was saying rest Hilfy for this tour match, not drop him for the Oval tbh. Siddle's bowling has got better as he's got more work into him. And saying he needs to bowl better if he wants a long career is silly when his averaging <30 and falling having played tests against India (away), SA (home and away) and England (away). He's made a fine start to his career against good opposition and already looks to have what's required. He's got a home summer vs Pakistan and WIs coming up - he'll be averaging close to 25 by the end of those series.

And I don't care about the ODIs or the T20 - the only focus for this tour match should be the fifth test IMO.

Last edited:

inbox24

International Debutant
Dropping Hilfenhaus for the Oval test would truly be ridiculous. Selectors are saying that Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus are the future, which is true but then to ditch Clark and Lee?

Bowlers like Johnson and Siddle only know how to ride on the success of others, without the 'facilitators' like Clark and Hilfenhaus they are nothing. Neither of them can hold up an end and build pressure consistently (through test series) and generally produce wickets through batsmen error.

inbox24

International Debutant
Truth will always be truth. No point saying the earth is not round just because everyone else says it's square.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Equally saying "the truth is that the world is square but I'm the only one who sees it" two million times doesn't make you right either.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dropping Johnson at this point would be odd.
:laugh:

Yes it would! Stick with a player when he's playing very poorly and then drop him when he finally shows signs of improvement. Sounds like something Andrew HIlditch would do. He won't go for the 5th test, he's just taken a 5 for.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Johnson has been too expensive an experiment to be pulled the plug of in such a hurry.
That's true. That MOTS performance against SA has left him with a significant debt to repay. Hang on, what?

He had one shocking test and two poor ones either side of it. Hardly likes he's, oh I don't know, Steve Harmison or Stuar Broad.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's true. That MOTS performance against SA has left him with a significant debt to repay. Hang on, what?

He had one shocking test and two poor ones either side of it. Hardly likes he's, oh I don't know, Steve Harmison or Stuar Broad.
Was going to reply to him too, then I remembered who he was suspected of being.

Broad bowled well in the last test, but it's funny how his poor form has been played down in some areas. Sure, he has an improved average this year. But he's played against the West Indies at home when they seemed to be indifferent to the idea of actually playing the game. He's shown glimpses of being a good cricketer, but he's not that yet. Saying he's done well in the past year is similar to saying how well Ravi Bopara was going after he dominated the Windies. He turned out to be a gem. :sleep:

Broad is an average cricketer at the moment. When he works out whether he wants to be a fire-breathing ladyboy who attempts to get in niggling contest with the batsman or someone who gets it on a good length and causes some problems he'll be a much improved bowler. He'll choose the latter if he doesn't want to get smacked around a bit by the better teams.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Was saying rest Hilfy for this tour match, not drop him for the Oval tbh. Siddle's bowling has got better as he's got more work into him. And saying he needs to bowl better if he wants a long career is silly when his averaging <30 and falling having played tests against India (away), SA (home and away) and England (away).

Averaged 44 in India tbh. He had a good series in SA and has been pretty rubbish most of the time in England, his average is only any good because of 1 spell inwhich he cleaned up Englands long tail.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Averaged 44 in one test against the best batting line up in the world on an utterly flat deck, as part of a dysfunctional bowling attack in his debut aged 23 iirc. Hardly representative circumstances to judge him, other than to note he kept trying and didn't drop his head. And despite that, his overall record remains decent - if you take it out he's already averaging in the mid 20s.

Would disagree that he's been rubbish for most of the tour. He's been disappointly inconsistent at times but has also regularly bowled good bursts as well - and as we've gone on, he's improved.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson bowled very well in IND, ran in @ 90mph in blazing sun on some flat decks. He was the only AUS bowling that looked like penetrative until Krejza played. That series was sort of stepping stone for him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson bowled very well in IND, ran in @ 90mph in blazing sun on some flat decks. He was the only AUS bowling that looked like penetrative until Krejza played. That series was sort of stepping stone for him.
Batsmen just got themselves out chasing wide ones if you believe some around here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was going to reply to him too, then I remembered who he was suspected of being.

Broad bowled well in the last test, but it's funny how his poor form has been played down in some areas. Sure, he has an improved average this year. But he's played against the West Indies at home when they seemed to be indifferent to the idea of actually playing the game. He's shown glimpses of being a good cricket, but he's not that yet. Saying he's done well in the past year is similar to saying how well Ravi Bopara was going after he dominated the Windies. He turned out to be a gem. :sleep:

Broad is an average cricketer at the moment. When he works out whether he wants to be a fire-breathing ladyboy who attempts to get in niggling contest with the batsman or someone who gets it on a good length and causes some problems he'll be a much improved bowler. He'll choose the latter if he doesn't want to get smacked around a bit by the better teams.
He's lowered his career average in this series as well actually. Broad pretty much had a mare at Cardiff, and bowled some good stuff amongst a lot of dross at Lord's. As the Edgbaston Test progressed, he found his line and bowled well - sure, we can point to the game being dead when he started to bowl his best stuff of the series, but I also think he was buoyed by having batted well. And then he carried on a Headingley where he was the pick of our bowlers by a mile. He obviously hasn't bowled any spells as good as Johnson's in the last Test, but at the same time at his worst he was nowhere near as bad as Johnson was at Lord's.

People can keep talking about how Broad is this and that, but I've watched most of the Tests he's played and he's improved so much it's not funny. He's well worth his place in our team and before long nobody will be talking about his average.