• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This has been more one-sided than 06-7, surely? England put up a good show for four days at Adelaide, and India @ the MCG in 2010 was a really close match until about midway through that 4th day (so basically the whole thing).

Can't remember seeing a big-ticket series like this, with the possible exception of India in England 2010.
Not that I hold out too much hope but at least give us the chance to redeem ourselves in the next two.......series isn't finished yet.

Riggins

International Captain

Nath looks like he's jumping up and down in the middle. Lucky he didn't do an ankle in a crack really.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, don't bandon all hope yet. Maybe they should send for Buttler?
If only, before he gets tainted by the House of Lancaster.

Anyway, well done Oz, thoroughly deserved, no excuses, you were much better. Batting, Fielding and Bowling. Attitude and tactics too, comprehensive whupping.

Jassy

Banned
This has been more one-sided than 06-7, surely? England put up a good show for four days at Adelaide, and India @ the MCG in 2010 was a really close match until about midway through that 4th day (so basically the whole thing).

Can't remember seeing a big-ticket series like this, with the possible exception of India in England 2010.
I think India in England was worse for me personally obv because India-Aus matches don't matter to me; but if you see India whilst being horrible in England were competitive in at least 2 of the 4 tests. In the first match they imploded on the last day to lose what should have been a drawn game and in the last game they did the same thing! They also got a first innings lead in the second test - Trent Bridge was it? So for me, India in Australia was much worse (the cricket i.e).

Anyways, guess I'm sidetracking the thread again. But yes, I'd probably agree up until this point this has probably been even more one-sided than the 06-07 Ashes. If the last two matches follow a similar pattern then I guess it would be the most one-sided series involving two sides as good as this in quite some time.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

2011 /pedant.

Even India in England had the second Test which India were leading for a couple of days.

SpofforthLohman

U19 12th Man
In a word... NO

Even though you can't spell it I'll accept it anyway. Only because I pity you today.

Anyone else agree Cook is the worst captain ever?
No I don't think it's Cook's fault, this was the fault of an entire team, sure it's his worst series with the bat in a long time, maybe ever but without him England would be even more of a shambles. I just think that we won because we were at home, we are rubbish under English conditions too, something we must work on or else we will just hand the ashes back next time we tour.

Jassy

Banned
Having read through some of the earlier posts on this thread, I must say it is surprising that some posters feel England played like total ****. Well they did, but they weren't allowed to do much else. I realise in such matters it is not necessarily in black and white and it can (and generally is) a combination of two or more factors but I don't see what England could have done differently here. They could have attacked Johnson but I am not sure how that would have ended....that would have meant going against their tried and tested strategy. This English side, with the exception of KP (doubt Prior has the game to consistently attack a truly top class bowling attack), isn't made to do that. Australia were just too, too good. The nut that Cook got in the second dig first up was unreal. You cannot do anything at all against that. I am sure Cook would have stonewalled for at least a 100 balls if he hadn't got such a good ball...that too first up; so let's not make it seem like England could have actually done anything much differently that would have changed the result. This is the first time in ages Australia have had their full strength bowling attack in ages. They bowled well in England too but not as well as this (and rain/Bell) could not thwart them this time. To have come back from 7-0 down is special...to have come back like *this* is crazy. Take a bow Australia.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The point about the negative batting is that when you let pressure build without at least turning over the strike it leads to wickets. And that's happened a few times this series. Bowlers like Warne go on about how important it is to bowl ball after ball to a batter to set them up and England have repeatedly let this happen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jassy pretty impressive on debut here.

Would throw in our own terrible showing in India this year for woefully one sided series as well.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I do agree with most of what he said there. This has to be the best bowling (individually for Mitch and as a unit of 5) that I personally have ever seen.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Wow, how unexpected, although I guess we should have all taken more notice of just how unconvincing that English 3-0 was. Anyway, that was definitely one of the more enjoyable Ashes I've witnessed despite the lack of contest. The level of surprise and the sight of scary fast bowling was great. I am the first to put my hand up and admit I wouldn't have picked Johnson in 1000 years.

Still, not sure this will be an ongoing Australian resurgence. The number of +30s is a real worry.

For one brief and beautiful moment however everyone and everything has gelled and it's been a sight to behold. Well done Australia!

91Jmay

International Coach
Interesting aside, if your quicks were fully fit I wonder how this series would have gone down? I know Starc/Patterson are fast but not convinced they have the raw gas that MJ does. Wonder if they'd have caused the same problems.