• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fed and Nadal never played each other in the US Open final, and Sampras never made the French final, so this is the biggest duopoly for ages.

How pathetic was Federer vs. Novak? Piss poor second set after leading a double break and then serving for it.

Just isn't a Slam player any more. Can win all the Masters 1000s he likes but he won't win a Slam again.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Eh, he made it to the semis and is the third best player in the world. He should've lost in the quarters and would have lost in the final so I wasn't expecting too much. Djokovic/Nadal is a fresher match-up as a French Open final, though I don't rate Djokovic's chances. The continual 1 vs. 3 draw is annoying. Nadal/Djokovic as a semi would be interesting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I didn't say he's not #3 in the world, nor that he'll never make a semi again. But over 5 sets he's not beating Rafa or Nole back-to-back, which he'll need to do unless he's #2 in the world again going into the Slam. And he had a chance to get that but Nadal won Rome.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Congrats Sharapova! Its not really surprising that she's had 4 Slam wins, but to win 1 at each tournament is an excellent achievement for her. I have no idea how Stosur could have lost to Errani, she had no chance in the Final. As is the case for each Slam, I can't believe the ladies get paid so much.

Looking forward to the men's final.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't say he's not #3 in the world, nor that he'll never make a semi again. But over 5 sets he's not beating Rafa or Nole back-to-back, which he'll need to do unless he's #2 in the world again going into the Slam. And he had a chance to get that but Nadal won Rome.
He'll get back to #2 in the world if Nadal doesn't win RG and it's gonna take unlikely circumstances for him to remain #3 at this stage.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What do you mean its going to take unlikely circumstances for him to remain #3? Are you saying it is unlikely Rafa will beat Novak tonight? Because he is an absolutely raging favourite with Djokovic paying $4.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congrats Sharapova! Its not really surprising that she's had 4 Slam wins, but to win 1 at each tournament is an excellent achievement for her. I have no idea how Stosur could have lost to Errani, she had no chance in the Final. As is the case for each Slam, I can't believe the ladies get paid so much.

Looking forward to the men's final.
You have to admire Sharapove, and not just in a :naughty: way. She could have easily taken it easy with her millions from modelling when she was beset by serious injuries, but she clearly has a will to win of a real champion.

Personally I'm finding the women's game more interesting then the Mens ATM. Yes I know the top 4 are good, but the choking from the rest is worthy of the woman's game at it's worst. Tsonga's world number 5 with one grand-slam quarter-final to his name.

Today's game should be pretty good, but if Nadal wins it easily, it will have just seemed a pointless procession.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Personally I'm finding the women's game more interesting then the Mens ATM. Yes I know the top 4 are good, but the choking from the rest is worthy of the woman's game at it's worst. Tsonga's world number 5 with one grand-slam quarter-final to his name.
You mean one final I assume? That's true but he beat Fed at last year's Wimbledon from 2 sets down.

Don't forget JMDP is coming. Will be a serious threat by the time the US Open comes around.

Need Soderling as well to return from injury. Then the top 10 is the best its been in decades.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What do you mean its going to take unlikely circumstances for him to remain #3? Are you saying it is unlikely Rafa will beat Novak tonight? Because he is an absolutely raging favourite with Djokovic paying $4.
I'm talking about how much points they have to defend.

Yes Rafa will most likely remain #2 for Wimbledon (I'll be stunned if Djoker beats him), but Fed's got not a lot to defend between July-November.

grecian

You mean one final I assume? That's true but he beat Fed at last year's Wimbledon from 2 sets down.

Don't forget JMDP is coming. Will be a serious threat by the time the US Open comes around.

Need Soderling as well to return from injury. Then the top 10 is the best its been in decades.
Umm, yesh.

All very well talking about del Potro but it's the equivalent to talking about Simon Jones for England. Obviously, because of the lack, I perceive, other than the top 4, I disagree totally with the closing sentence. Murray still hasn't won a slam either, and you've said that Fed probably never will again, so it doesn't seem like much depth to me. Would be nice to see some youthful fresh faces too. Mardy Fish at 10 and 30 years of age isn't brilliant.

In fact looking at the list, del Potro is the only guy under 25 in the top 17, I think.

Would be nice to see the likes of Raonic come through, and not just a bunch of already beaten journeymen in the upper echelons.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The depth is there, its just that the elite 3 are better than the top 3 in ages.

Fish is there because of Soder and Delpo being injured. We've had Davydenko, Ferrero, Ljubicic, Robredo in the top 10 years ago. This is the best for ages.

What top 10 had as much depth? Murray would be winning Slams in 2002-2005, whereas Roddick, Ferrero, Hewitt wouldn't win **** today.

grecian

The depth is there, its just that the elite 3 are better than the top 3 in ages.

Fish is there because of Soder and Delpo being injured. We've had Davydenko, Ferrero, Ljubicic, Robredo in the top 10 years ago. This is the best for ages.

What top 10 had as much depth? Murray would be winning Slams in 2002-2005, whereas Roddick, Ferrero, Hewitt wouldn't win **** today.
Utter conjecture, TBH, you could be right, or I could be right that the depth is poor. Unless we get that time-machine impossible to know. All those names are similar to the likes of Berdych, Fish and Tipsarevic. Ferrer was much lower 10 years ago too, and has been top 10 for a while, so it shows there's not much difference.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Even if he was #2 he could've got Nadal on his side of the draw. Federer will need to catch a break to win another Slam and so long as he's playing himself into contention he has a chance. With Federer, he's really looking for one more. Nadal and Djokovic are chasing multiple Slams.

Quite the fightback this from Djokovic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nole hit $10 on Betfair at 0-3 down.

Nadal has weathered the fight back here though it seems.

Weird set of tennis.

Last edited: