• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Venus wins the first set in the tie break. And to make things worse for Sharapova, Venus breaks her in the first game of the second set.

Head to head between the two is 2-0 to Sharapova. However Sharapova hasn't faced Venus in this form before. This is Venus Williams from 1999-2001. This is Venus at her best. She has absolutely launched an attack against Sharapova, and though Sharapova has hung in there as much as she could, it still at the moment seems like Venus will be too much.

Venus' tactic to step inside the baseline for the return to Sharapova's second serve is absolute genius, and could be a key factor in this match.

biased indian

International Coach
i hate to watch the matches on tv where the players make such loud noises

i remember every one having problem with seles what the current situation on it??

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
biased indian said:
i hate to watch the matches on tv where the players make such loud noises

i remember every one having problem with seles what the current situation on it??
I have watched a fiar bit of Seles her being my favourite sportsperson of all time. Trust me, her grunts were no where near hat of Sharapova's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Venus dominating this set now, and literally threw away a match point. It was hers for the taking. Still 5-1 up and deuce on Sharapova's serve.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
VENUS WINS!

"Venus Williams is back"

So true Newcombe. So true. Brilliant match, but Venus was far too strong.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Venus wins.

Life is sweet.

Sharapova will feel bad but she will be back. Much better than ever before. She just met the greatest grass court womens player I have seen in her prime form.

Piper

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Great : some one like Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Lend, McEnroe, Bjorg

Do you really see Roddick getting into that league?
Hmmm maybe... hes only 22 he has a lot of time to become a legend just like Sampras, Agassi etc

Piper

International Captain
Jono said:
Firstly, no one is doubting he isn't a champion. He won the US Open, runner-up to Wimbledon last year, former no. 1 now ranked no. 2 in the world. That right there is a very good resume.

However the fact that you could only point to a few sets shows why from what we have seen of Roddick so far, he is not, and is unlikely to ever be, in the same ball park as players such as Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Bjorg etc. With a great, or soon to be great, you don't have to point out certain sets. You see it in the way they play. Roddick has so many flaws in his game, and they need to be fixed before he hits that road to greatness, which I don't believe he'll get there, despite his looks ;)

His strengths are amazing (serve, forehand) but by golly does he need to learn to volley, and modify his game when things aren't going his way. That's what Hewitt and Federer have ATM.
The reason i pointed out those two sets was because they showed how great a player he is and because i know a lot of people watched that game so its easier to point out a set, match, or game that no one had seen... I really do think he could if he did improve on his flaws become a legend.... And i dont just support him for his looks tho that is a bonus of watching him play of course... But i also love to watch his game... his forehand is amazing and so is his serve.... How much pressure must that shoulder be under when he serves as hard and as fast has he does?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
havent seen randy orton on raw for ages actually.....mind you havent watched it properly for ages and ages either....

Piper

International Captain
sledger said:
havent seen randy orton on raw for ages actually.....mind you havent watched it properly for ages and ages either....
Hes injured but hes moved to Smackdown now

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
hmmm raw will seem strange without him...but then again i lost my intrest a good while back now, gone are the good old days of wwf.