• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Yep Sampras said he could win against any one when playing at his best except Agassi at times.

Sampras was excellent with his clutch services in crucial points which helped him have that aura. Federer is, lets just say, gaining that more and more with his more all round game and leave it at that.
Federer will be a better player than Sampras IMO because of his abilities on clay. The only thing that will stop him is injury or an even better player.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some thing I read in a newspaper article.

The writer defended Sharapova saying the grunts are involuntary.

What are people's opinions on Sharapova's grunts?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Some thing I read in a newspaper article.

The writer defended Sharapova saying the grunts are involuntary.

What are people's opinions on Sharapova's grunts?
I love it! I just close my eyes and imagine her grunting doing something else.

howardj

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Said perfectly. Hewitt is playing very well right now. But Federer is able to lift a gear and has been ahead of Hewitt. So it will take a special effort from Hewitt but he will fight it out.

Hewitt said 'it will be like a final for me' in the post match interview.
Hewitt will get slaughtered

Piper

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
I don't think Federer has that Sampras Aura yet.
In my opinion no one will ever be the next Pete Sampras he is and always will be the best player who ever lived...

Piper

International Captain
Pratyush said:
You havent seen Rod Laver so how can you say?
Thats why i said in my opinion... i will never changed that opinion... even if Roddick becomes a really great player

Piper

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Roddick is a good player but you are really getting your hopes too high if you think he will become great.
Ok look at the second and third sets against Grojean yesterday he showed that he is a Champion and could play like a Champion

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Piper said:
Ok look at the second and third sets against Grojean yesterday he showed that he is a Champion and could play like a Champion
Great : some one like Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Lend, McEnroe, Bjorg

Do you really see Roddick getting into that league?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Piper said:
Firstly, no one is doubting he isn't a champion. He won the US Open, runner-up to Wimbledon last year, former no. 1 now ranked no. 2 in the world. That right there is a very good resume.

However the fact that you could only point to a few sets shows why from what we have seen of Roddick so far, he is not, and is unlikely to ever be, in the same ball park as players such as Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Bjorn Borg etc. With a great, or soon to be great, you don't have to point out certain sets. You see it in the way they play. Roddick has so many flaws in his game, and they need to be fixed before he hits that road to greatness, which I don't believe he'll get there, despite his looks ;)

His strengths are amazing (serve, forehand) but by golly does he need to learn to volley, and modify his game when things aren't going his way. That's what Hewitt and Federer have ATM.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sharapova had 2 break points in the first game of the match, doesn't capitalise. Venus had 3 break points in the 2nd game, doesn't capitalise. Very interesting start to this match.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Sharapova had 2 break points in the first game of the match, doesn't capitalise. Venus had 3 break points in the 2nd game, doesn't capitalise. Very interesting start to this match.
wow this is powerful stuff going on here a few points which i have seen.