• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It isn't that shocking if you were watching his matches lately and also noticing Novak Djokovic's rise, instead of just discarding the idea and just saying he can't lose and its all boring etc.

The key point in last nights match also is just how often Nadal was broken. Off the top of my head I count 5. That was unheard of in 2010 and 2006-2008.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Madrid is not Nadal's favourite clay surface TBF. Still, Djokovic is building some pretty serious momentum right now and beating Nadal on clay in a final in his home country illustrates that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Madrid is the faster clay. Way faster than monte Carlo and less bounce than roland garros. Still he won there last year pretty comfortably so this is an amazing win. Especially since Nadal didn't play poorly by any means. He was just beaten by a far more solid player.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It isn't that shocking if you were watching his matches lately and also noticing Novak Djokovic's rise, instead of just discarding the idea and just saying he can't lose and its all boring etc.

The key point in last nights match also is just how often Nadal was broken. Off the top of my head I count 5. That was unheard of in 2010 and 2006-2008.
madrid is different from other clay courts though, even federer gave him a fight in the semis...:ph34r:

that said, barring any injuries, he will still still scythe through rome and paris...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a huge Rafa fan and your posting makes me want him to lose.

That's quite an achievement.
or maybe you are not as big a fan as you think...:)

in any case i have achieved far bigger things than that to put it very mildly...:sleep:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No I'm just a tennis fan ahead of a Nadal fan. I'm proud to say that. And Novak playing the way he is is good for tennis. Novak beating Nadal is good for tennis.

I doubt you've seen much of Novak lately, yet you're writing him off based on pre-conceived notions. You always do that. If Federer isn't playing you're not interested, yet you suggest that no one has a chance against Nadal as if you know that for sure. You don't.

He's being seriously challenged now, and that's something to be excited about. But you aren't interested because Fed isn't #1.

People have been calling Novak beating Nadal for ages now and yet you dicarded the views as if they were laughable. Now it happened and you don't even admit you were wrong tbh.

Last edited:

vcs

Who the **** is Paolo Lorenzi? World No. 148? You got to be ****ing kidding me! :jawdrop:

_Ed_

Jeepers. This is an amazing performance from a guy I hadn't even heard of before this match started.

_Ed_

Nadal's cruising now - up 3-0 in the third.

Still, it was a mighty effort from Lorenzi.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I didn't watch the match. Was it ever 4-4 in the second after losing the 3rd? Or did Rafa get an early break in the second?

What a random performance from Rafa.

vcs

I didn't watch the match. Was it ever 4-4 in the second after losing the 3rd? Or did Rafa get an early break in the second?

What a random performance from Rafa.
Apparently broke early, was broken back and was 4-3 down at one stage (on serve).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rafa got past Feliciano Lopez in straight sets which is good. Was worried he was getting heavily fatigued.

Fed lost to Gasquet in three tight sets. Gasquet came back from a set and a break down. Fair effort!

Novak taking on Wawrinka right now. Should be a good match I reckon. 4-4.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And Djokovic takes the first set.

Don't like watching these Clay court matches too much. Too many boring passages of play.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I understand what you mean, but I reckon that's only the case with players who are crap on other surfaces but know how to grind on clay only.

Watching players who are just generally good at tennis are sometimes even better to watch on clay because of how smart they play. Watching Novak on clay is awesome though. Especially when he's able to hit winners on his backhand on such a slow surface after completely outpositioning his opponent in the rally.