• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
Moya is in real trouble on vodafone, down 7-5 6-3 against Garcia-Lopez, i think he can still come back but its gonna take a bit...
Is it any wonder he struggled on Vodafone, Clay's Orange.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a great win from haas against malisse, never gave him a sniff really, he should beat Karol Beck on Wednesday, with moya gone from this quarter of the draw its opening up, if Safin can get beaten before the 4th round, haas' only opposition for a semi final spot would be dominik Hrbaty...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Maria Kirilenko had a tough one against Kapros with a 5-7 6-2 6-4 score. She was leading 5-1 in 1st set and was serving for the set but lost 6 games in a row. She will now be playing Ivanovic in what will be a game of top upcoming players

Buddhmaster

International Captain
broncoman said:
a great win from haas against malisse, never gave him a sniff really, he should beat Karol Beck on Wednesday, with moya gone from this quarter of the draw its opening up, if Safin can get beaten before the 4th round, haas' only opposition for a semi final spot would be dominik Hrbaty...
Looking good for Tommy, but I don't think Marat will lose.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
broncoman said:
oh please, surely u can do better than that...
You are too biased for Haas I guess. What has he achieved compared with Safin and Safin's recent form? Winning one match over Safin and haing a pedestrian record through out his career, I know how I will charecterise Haas.

Good player but not much of an achiever. When the match comes up between the two players, if it does, you know who the favourite will be.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Pratyush said:
You are too biased for Haas I guess. What has he achieved compared with Safin and Safin's recent form? Winning one match over Safin and haing a pedestrian record through out his career, I know how I will charecterise Haas.

Good player but not much of an achiever. When the match comes up between the two players, if it does, you know who the favourite will be.
I'm sorry to say I agree. While both are underachievers, Safin would be a big favourite if his lead up matches go right.

Simon

Pratyush said:

Haas has achieved more than you would think, 2 grand slam semi finals, a masters series title, olympic silver medal, he just had a bad injury when he should have been at his peak, hes world number 17 which is pretty decent, lets say for argument sake they both get knocked out in round 3, their rankings would both be around 12 or 13 next week. makes em pretty even i feel.

they are similar types of players really, both have massive games, safin depends on his serve, while haas needs his backhand to be working, both are very tempremental. I dont doubt that safin would be favourite if they meet each other in the 4th round, but id be surprised if it was by a big margin.

i dont think you are reading enough into the match 2 weeks ago, on an even playing field, both guys played a great match and tommy won the points that counted and he won. thats how matches between the best players go.

the guy is 26 anyway give him a break, theres a still a long time for him to get back to where he was, in case u didnt know he was once world number 2...

Simon

Haas vs Safin career head to head

1999 - Haas won in Frankfurt in 5 sets
1999 - Haas won in Monte Carlo in straight sets
2000 - Safin won in Paris in straight sets in 3rd round
2002 - Safin won in Aus Open in 5 sets in semi final
2005 - Haas won in Perth in 3 sets

very close head to head, safin by no means will start a red hot favourite, that aus open semi final still brings back bad memories though, if it wasnt for the rain delay in the 4th set of that match, haas would be a grand slam winner now...

Simon

Mister Wright said:
He did reach the Australian Open final and the US Open semi-finals.
Moya will never win another slam, i just dont think he can sustain 7 matches of form to win any of the 4 majors, i believe he can still do some damage in the french by making it late into the 2nd week, but i dont think he can win one now...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
Haas vs Safin career head to head

1999 - Haas won in Frankfurt in 5 sets
1999 - Haas won in Monte Carlo in straight sets
2000 - Safin won in Paris in straight sets in 3rd round
2002 - Safin won in Aus Open in 5 sets in semi final
2005 - Haas won in Perth in 3 sets

very close head to head, safin by no means will start a red hot favourite, that aus open semi final still brings back bad memories though, if it wasnt for the rain delay in the 4th set of that match, haas would be a grand slam winner now...
I wouldn't be sure on that, Johannson (sp) was in freak form.

I'm actually going to go with Simon (shock horror) on this one. Safin has not been as consistent as he was in 2002 & 2003 and Haas has shown some grit the last three months. However, safin is like a tap, can be cold one second and hot the next, there is only one guarantee when playing Safin, he will control the game, whether that be through his brillance or his tardiness, but Haas is one player that could beat him atm.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
broncoman said:
Haas has achieved more than you would think, 2 grand slam semi finals, a masters series title, olympic silver medal, he just had a bad injury when he should have been at his peak, hes world number 17 which is pretty decent, lets say for argument sake they both get knocked out in round 3, their rankings would both be around 12 or 13 next week. makes em pretty even i feel.
Ivanisevic had a pretty good career but till he won a grandslam, it wasnt complete.

Safin has already won a grandslam and any one will tell you winning the big ones is far more important than reaching the semis of slams or being world number 2 for a short while.

I like the way Haas plays but he is still world number 17 right now. So 17th most consistent player on the tour right now. Certainly you have to be in the top 5 first consistently. Safin was exceptional last year by the end of it in the sense he had a chance of beating Federer. He has his own set of admirers, Sampras being one for obvious reasons.

Haas is promising but o are many others. Including one of my favourites, Coria, who has little chance in this tournament I am afraid.

26 isnt a small age in tennis. Haas has to do some thing big in the next two years or else he will remain some one like Philipoussis. Promising bu nothing more than that.

I believe Safin has astly improved on consistency and is about to reach bigger heights if he can grasp that opportunity. If Haas can do that as well, I will be delighted.