• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Nalbandian is going to bottle this big time. Up a set, 5-3, and then has four match points and just goes to ****. Nadal's great in those situations, but he just froze.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Love Rafa so much. Just never gives in.

Gave a very frank and honest interview after the match. Admitted he was 'scared' of Nalbandian's backhand, and considering that before this match he'd never taken a set off Nalbandian, being 5 match points down throughout the match, and still winning, show's how much class he has.

“I think today was lucky. Anyway, well, I am not happy. I'm not very happy about myself and the first two sets. I think I had from the memory, a lot the last two matches. He played well, yes, but I… was a little bit scared about his backhand. I didn't go to the match with the best mentality.

Tennis - ATP World Tour - News - Nadal Saves Five Match Points In Classic Comeback;*Djokovic-Roddick To*Meet In QFs*

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Roddick just crushed Djokovic.

Unbelievable. Not sure what to make of Novak atm. Wins a tournament, then gets owned at other times to lower ranked players. What's certain is he's definitely not #3 in the world. Murray is better atm.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it's probably a lack of confidence caused by the realization that both nadal and federer and possibly even murray are clearly better than him...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's because he's ****ing overr-rated, I've been saying it for yonks. He's soft mentally. Just wished I hadn't screwed the numbers at Sports Bet, I wanted Roddick to win, not Djokovic.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
argh...sack the producer (or whoever it is that is deciding on the camerawork for the Federer-Murray match) the view is far too low. It's not hard to get a decent position for Tennis but there have been more than the odd tournament so far this year with dire tv pictures. Sort it out.

Murray breaks anyway, Fed started really well and really should have broken in the last game though. The more recent Fed-Murray games usually go 3 sets with Fed winning the first though

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murray is so awesome. Great to watch.

His odds kept climbing despite the fact he'd beaten Roger in their last 4 meetings (including unofficial Abu Dhabi). Make that 5 now.

Awesome that Rafa beat Roddick as well. We now have another Rafa vs. Murray final, except hopefully this time with neither of them being injured.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murray is so awesome. Great to watch.

His odds kept climbing despite the fact he'd beaten Roger in their last 4 meetings (including unofficial Abu Dhabi). Make that 5 now.

Awesome that Rafa beat Roddick as well. We now have another Rafa vs. Murray final, except hopefully this time with neither of them being injured.
I just read that Nadal is the only left-hander to beat Murray. Surely that cannot be right? I don't know a lot about tennis, but are there no other top quality lefties?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just read that Nadal is the only left-hander to beat Murray. Surely that cannot be right? I don't know a lot about tennis, but are there no other top quality lefties?
Dunno. I do know he's getting more Scottish and less British as the night goes on.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dunno. I do know he's getting more Scottish and less British as the night goes on.
"Och, Angus Podgorny, y'ken the Scots cannae play the tennis"

(favourite ever Monty Python sketch - aliens turning people into Scotsmen - I always refer to Murray as Angus Podgorny to wind Mrs LE up)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Naa there isnt many top left handers, outside of Nadal and Verdasco there really is only the likes of Melzer, Niemenen, Guccione and thats about all I think of at the moment.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
verdasco was the first lefty other than nadal to beat him on the main tour in the aus open. Having a bit of a shocker here. Wind not making for much of a spectacle either

Simon

I swear Rafa would beat a brick wall at a game of tennis, that ball just keeps coming back at Murray.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it's well and truly the nadal era in tennis, as much as i admire the guy's speed around the court, steely will, determination and refusal to give in, it's a pity(for me) that this is happening....i have been too spoilt by the pure tennis skills that federer embodied...it's just not as much fun to watch when players try to slug it out and possibly the greatest counter-puncher of all time simply wears his opponents down each and every time...

Simon

Clijsters To Make Comeback

Was never the biggest Clijsters fan but Womens tennis needs more decent players at the top level. Its basically becoming a case again of the Williams sisters winning if they turn up to the tournaments if they really want to win them. Was watching the final of Indian Wells yesterday and while Zvonereva and Ivanovic are good players they shouldnt be top 5 at the moment.