• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Mingster

State Regular
age_master said:
i assume you mean Olivia Lukaszewicz?
Yes. She's only 15.

Ah saw Anna Kournikova doing a promo for Omega, and they put her as 'former tennis player'.

She's still got the goods.

Mingster

State Regular
Not really.

She's only one of a few players that don't take tennis as the mian thing in their life.

Good on her.

Cloete

International Captain
That had to be one of the best days of tennis... actually sport i've had in a while.

Reid was outclassed by Federer early on, nothing too great here. Then Raymond outplayed, outsmarted and outlasted Venud Williams in what was a killer match to watch.

Phillipousis did well against Ancic and that was a pretty good game.

Hewitt then took on the young 17 year old Rafael from Spain. By this time i had watched India post 280 with Laxman playing absolutely superbly. I missed the first set of this match watching the end of the cricket.

Ervine and Carlisle had the best ever Zimbabwean ODI partnership, they both played brilliantly. If it weren't for the run out of Ervine they would have cruised. I think carlisle should have taken the run out himself. As Ervine is a better hitter. But still it was a brilliant match and i can't complain. Would like to have seen Zimbabwe get up though, as they really deserved it.

Anyway the Hewitt and Nadal match was superb. Lots of long rallies, winners, brilliant shots and a great thing was there weren't many aces.

It was then on to watch the last set of Henman v Canas. And how brilliant this set was. Henman as always was superb at the net, but some of Canas' passing shots were.... magic. He ran everything down. And probably deserved to win it by his sheer guts and determination.

End scores

Canas.......5 6 7 7 9
Henman....7 7 5 6 7

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nadal - 160kph forhand - amazing, but old man Hewitt had the goods, simply out smarted him for most of the match :) and won it in straight - him vs Federer will be a hell of a match

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excellent match yesterday between Molik and Mauresmo (sp). One that Molik really should have won.

Some mouth-waterers today - Hewitt v Federer will hopefully be all that it is billed up to be.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
wow federer is in top touch atm, after hewitt got called for the non excistant foot fault federer just picked up and dominated, what a player :)

as for scud, shows what hes like, inconsistant

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The two most talented players in the world right now are Federer and Safin. I am hoping for an epic final clash between them with both playing their best. Should be a sight for sore eyes. Of course, Agassi can put a spoke in the wheels, so can Nalbandian, but I am hoping they won't.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Clearly.. he can't be any good.. he's not Australian, for one...
well duh :P

my top 5 atm

Federer
Roddick
Hewitt
Agassi
Ferrero

these guys can all beat each other and as such coule be in the top 5 in any order but i think they are a class above the rest.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
well duh :P

my top 5 atm

Federer
Roddick
Hewitt
Agassi
Ferrero

these guys can all beat each other and as such coule be in the top 5 in any order but i think they are a class above the rest.
I was talking about the most talented players and Safin is definitely higher than Roddick in that category, so is Federer. They have the game to win on any surface and are the types who can just jump out of bed and win a grand slam. Both have mercurial temperaments and frequently manage to lose matches they should win in their sleep. Federer just started to put it all together last year and I hope he continues in that vein. As for Safin, if he makes tennis his number one priority and plays with some consistency, the sky is the limit for him. Did you see how he dismantled the great Sampras in the 2000 US Open final? However, looking at his topsy-turvy career so far, it looks unlikely. Roddick however will probably enjoy more success because he is much more focussed, goal-oriented and determined.

As far as best current players are concerned, your list looks fine although I wouldn't put Hewitt in the top 5 on current form.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hewitt, current form, won the addidas international (well it wasn't hard, but still) won pretty much everything in the hopman cup, but Australia had to withdraw cause molik was injured, and in davis cup beat Farrero and Federer in 5 set classics. i agree hes not at his best but hes certainly not in bad form.

as for safin, the 2000 USopen final vs Sampras, yeah a good game, what has he done apart from that... hell it took him 5 sets to beat todd martin in the 3rd round. 4 sets in the first 2 rounds to beat 2 unknowns and 4 sets to beat an out of form James blake.

in the first 2 rounds he hit over 100 unforced errorsand won less than 60% of points off his 2nd serve.

roddick hit just 74 unforced errors in his first 4 matches, finishing them all in just 3 sets.