• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's 37 and might finally be done.

Last year was a glorious last hurrah though.

_Ed_

I don't think Millman can come back from here for another big upset, but it's been a great effort from him in this match.

_Ed_

I hope Osaka's tournament hasn't just been a flash in the plan - she's been extremely good.

Burgey

What happened to Nadal? Was he injured going in or was he getting belted and decided to pull the pin?

vogue

International Vice-Captain
What happened to Nadal? Was he injured going in or was he getting belted and decided to pull the pin?
Haven’t followed this much at all, so from what I read it looks like he’s had at least a couple of fairly gruelling long matches and his knee was causing him too much pain to continue. He plays a very physical game and really pressures his body, think myself with this pull out he may start thinking about that inevitable question.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
knee injury...anyway i hope delpo will win but it will most likely be novak's 14th slam...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well that was unexpected...and the tantrum, i thought she was supposed to be more mature now...anyway congratulations to osaka!

OverratedSanity

Serena's a complete embarassment. Glad she lost. Predictably cringey that she made it out to be some anti-woman thing. Just **** off.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
holy ****, that was ridiculous...poor naomi apologizing for winning...! what a ****ed up crowd!

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the old doozy where someone thinks behaving like a **** is fine because they perceive others as getting away with being complete ****s.

vcs

Serena is a great champion but she has plenty of previous form for behaving like this (Clijsters incident). Always seems to happen at the US Open as well.

Anyway, well done to Osaka.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What I hate is everybody talking about the class of Serena asking the crowd not to boo during ceremony and consoling Osaka... when the entire incident is because of how she behaved.

Well done to Osaka played brillant, showed great character.

_Ed_

I hope she wins plenty more slams, and actually gets to enjoy them properly.

I really want to like Serena. She's one of the greatest female athletes of all time (if not the greatest), and there have been some instances of her embracing the mantle of role model with impressive words and actions. But then she keeps doing **** like this.

Such a terrible way to treat a 20-year-old in her first grand slam final (not to mention the fact that she openly idolises Serena).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's so frustrating seeing non-tennis fans tweeting outrage about how Serena was treated and getting hundreds and thousands of RTs for it. I get that Serena transcends the sport somewhat, and it's cool a lot of the time, but it means she has some really ridiculous fans who will adamantly defend her no matter what she does.