• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

twctopcat

International Regular
Haha, fair play inzi you dapper. So that means Vaughan is in. Will he still be second fiddle to Smith?? Will be interesting seeing how much he chats with Smith - sort of along the lines of "Trust me - that's how you bowl to him....". :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
venomous said:
Inzamam snubs Super Series

PTI

September 26, 2005

Inzamam: "I deserve respect and nothing else" © Getty Images

Inzamam-ul-Haq has refused to represent the World XI in next month's Super Test against Australia, after an apparent mix-up in communication with the Pakistan board.

"The Pakistan Cricket Board had given me an understanding that I would be in both the World XIs (ODI and Test)," Pakistan's captain, Inzamam, told the news agency PTI on Monday from Lahore, "but till today, they have not conveyed to me about my selection. I have already read my selection in the newspapers."

The Pakistan board announced that Inzamam would be in both teams on Wednesday, but two days later the ICC said that he would feature in the six-day Super Test squad only, and as a replacement for Sachin Tendulkar at that. He was omitted from the one-dayers, with the ICC instead naming Chris Gayle and Rahul Dravid as replacements for Sachin Tendulkar and Herschelle Gibbs.

"At this stage of my career, I deserve respect and nothing else," said Inzamam. "I am not pleased at all with whatever has happened. Having played cricket with respect and distinction, I don't deserve this at the fag end of my career."

He added that if he was not representing the World XI in the Test match, there was question of him participating in the Captains Conference and 2nd ICC Annual Awards. "I will not go to Australia for just one match. I have not conveyed my decision to the cricket board and there is no need for this because they have not yet communicated to me about my selection."
Personally I think this is an extremely arrogant decision from Inzy. A great player who has been in great form, but regardless of his disappointment at not being selected, his lack of respect for the decision of the selection panel (all of whom were better cricketers than Inzy in their day, and whose opinions should be respected) strikes me of being a case of throwing his toys out of the pram big style.

Michael Vaughan's just captained his team to a series victory against the best team in the world - you don't see him coming out and complaining about not being selected in the first place, and then refusing to be a replacement because of it. Inzy should show some humility and accept the honour of representing the Rest of the World, instead of telling anyone who'll listen how much better he is than everybody else and how much respect he deserves.

Inzy probably did deserve to have been selected in the first place - but that's not the point. Behaviour such as this is more becoming of an England footballer rather than a cricketer.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
twctopcat said:
Haha, fair play inzi you dapper. So that means Vaughan is in. Will he still be second fiddle to Smith?? Will be interesting seeing how much he chats with Smith - sort of along the lines of "Trust me - that's how you bowl to him....". :p
I should think Vaughan will be relieved to play without the burden of captaincy (which is why I'm backing him to score runs - we know how he likes big hundreds against the Aussies), but Smith will probably be in his ear every five seconds. Well he will if he's got any sense, at least.

greg

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Personally I think this is an extremely arrogant decision from Inzy. A great player who has been in great form, but regardless of his disappointment at not being selected, his lack of respect for the decision of the selection panel (all of whom were better cricketers than Inzy in their day, and whose opinions should be respected) strikes me of being a case of throwing his toys out of the pram big style.
Well that's highly debateable.

Barney Rubble said:
Michael Vaughan's just captained his team to a series victory against the best team in the world - you don't see him coming out and complaining about not being selected in the first place, and then refusing to be a replacement because of it. Inzy should show some humility and accept the honour of representing the Rest of the World, instead of telling anyone who'll listen how much better he is than everybody else and how much respect he deserves.
Perhaps we shouldn't pre-empt this one. If it wasn't for the fact that he'll be there for the captains meeting I wouldn't be the least surprised to see Vaughan refuse a place.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:
Well that's highly debateable.
Sunil Gavaskar , India (chairman)
Michael Atherton, England
Sir Richard Hadlee, New Zealand
Clive Lloyd, West Indies
Jonty Rhodes , South Africa
Aravinda de Silva , Sri Lanka

I didn't realise Rhodes was on it - otherwise, there's very little debate.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good riddance to the fat bloater, I'm not sure whether the potato is pathetically trying to get back at the Pakistan Cricket Board, the ICC selection committee or both, but the most important thing is he's shown by this lame and immature toy throwing exercise that he didn't warrant selection anyway. If he was trying to get at the ICC selection comittee he would have been better served playing and scoring a load of runs.

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
Clive Lloyd, West Indies

He's better than Atherton, easily.

greg

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Clive Lloyd, West Indies

Really? I think you could comfortably make a case for him being at least the equal of Atherton, de Silva and maybe Lloyd.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i'd rate him miles ahead of atherton and better than rhodes and desilva

nevertheless i think its a toys out of the pram decision

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cracking decision by Inzi! Got some conviction!

A champion test cricketer puts his heart and soul into representing his country (even if the PCB have messed him around!), not in a pointless money making exercise designed to line the pockets of people like Jamoghan Dalmiya..

twctopcat

International Regular
I can see Inzy becoming one of those very wise old cricketers, who sit at grounds watching saying very little, yet whatever he does say is gold.

Scaly piscine

twctopcat said:
I can see Inzy becoming one of those very wise old cricketers, who sit at grounds watching saying very little, yet whatever he does say is gold.
More like a reclusive crackpot who loads both barrels when he sees some kid climbing over the fence to get their ball back.

mofo123

U19 12th Man
i really do respect inzys decision, PCB really messed him about, but he is right he never gets the same respect as other top cricketers, he really does deserve it one of the best around IMHO

GO INZI

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Does anyone know of hand what Inzi's record against australia,in australia,is like as this was one of the main criteria to selecting the team,or what the selectors said would be the main criteria,so where does that leave freddy and harmo?

sad day today as don adams died (get smart) funniest show ever on TV for last 30 years.Dont know what don has to do with cricket though hehehhe!!!!!!!!!!!

venomous

Cricket Spectator
Scaly piscine said:
Good riddance to the fat bloater, I'm not sure whether the potato is pathetically trying to get back at the Pakistan Cricket Board, the ICC selection committee or both, but the most important thing is he's shown by this lame and immature toy throwing exercise that he didn't warrant selection anyway. If he was trying to get at the ICC selection comittee he would have been better served playing and scoring a load of runs.
Inzy's decision is not lame nor immature, its a very wise decision. He did what was needed to be done. A player who has performed consistently well in both forms of the game, than so called biggies like Sachin, Gibbs, Kallis etc etc & etc for last 2-3 years, is negelected through out the course of selection...and then gets a replacement in the end, for an injured players who has been injured for last 2 years!...that's just simply pathetic, just pathetic!....but well, it wld have been a waste of time for him, so he shldn't care much. Better to stay home and get prepared for the upcoming tough series, instead of filling up ICC & selectors deep pockets by playing in a futile series.

venomous

Cricket Spectator
jlo33692 said:
Does anyone know of hand what Inzi's record against australia,in australia,is like as this was one of the main criteria to selecting the team,or what the selectors said would be the main criteria,so where does that leave freddy and harmo?

sad day today as don adams died (get smart) funniest show ever on TV for last 30 years.Dont know what don has to do with cricket though hehehhe!!!!!!!!!!!
Current form was also one of the main criteria, but well, VB series(2004-05) was the last series which he played in Australia. He played 8 ODI's, hit 5 50s & and had a healthy average of 52.