• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
cameeel said:
I hope the potato gets left out of the final XI

Whats wrong with that grammer choora?
Well apparently there was 12 players ,But inzi is suspected of eating one of them.
Maybe Akhtar's is in for his bowling,Choora, Did that ever cross your mind?
I doubt very much that Inzi,s fitness is better than anyones i have seen in test cricket,he is a good batsman,a poor to very poor fielder and im not sure on his captancy,Imagine if he bothered to get fit what he could maybe achieve? His antics in not wanting to play are fairly poor and most likely the reason he was not selected in the first place. IMO. You seem to imply that someone has it in for inziman and that is why he was overlooked. IMO he was overlooked for the above reasons and his attitude but we will agree to disagree. i think the players picked ahead of him were picked because they are better players all round.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
greg said:
I'm not sure who you're talking about. The English guy flying through the ranks is Jeremy Lloyd. I assume the bloke with the beard is Peter Willey, who turned down the opportunity to be on the International panel because he didn't want to commit to the excessive travel and timetabling.

Don't really see the problem with Bowden's 'antics'. As long as he gets the decisions right. Umpires adopting individual styles has always been part of the game and provided great enjoyment to, and opportunity for mimicry for, the spectators, from Dickie Bird's "swordfight" style for signalling fours to Shep and Nelson.
Yep i must agree on the Dicky bird umpiring , i thought he was the best of all the umpires.
I guess it is to each there own with Billy Bowden,I think i turned of himwhen he was making such poor decisions,before this series i did find him entertaining but not now. That was the guy (wiley) what a shame he has pulled out. The guy flying through the ranks was indeed Jeremy Lloyd and from what ive seen of him(and paul riffell) they are very good,they have the players respect.
Greg, what did you think of some of the batsman standing ground after the umpires decisions went against them? Right or wrong they must go and they must go without any antics IMO,but i feel it is creeping more and more into tests and in turn junior cricket.
Do you think the likes of Dicky Bird and co in older days got an easier ride because of (1) the older players upheld the spirit of cricket a lot higher and (2) the introduction of technoligy like hawk eye ect whaich puts pressure on umpires that Dicky and co never had to have,well not till the end of career.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
I'm very disappointed in Inzy's behaviour. Absolutely shocking.

After all the fuss, i have a strong feeling he won't be picked in the original XI anyway. I feel he was unlucky to miss out being in the original squad, but I feel that the middle order will almost certainly be Lara, Kallis, Dravid and Flintoff. That really only leaves Inzy to carry the drinks, and if so the players are going to be waiting a while for the fluids to come to them.
hahaha Jono..
Are you going to any of the ODI m8 ,they are at telstra dome i am told,we are comming over to melbourne for the 2nd and 3rd,but will miss the first. i was told it has a roof ,so no rain can spoil play. Is this a cricket ground or is it used for the football ? if it is a footy ground as well as cricket do you know why they did not use the mighty MCG,is it cause rain or something forcast ,shame to not use one of top 3 grounds in the world of cricket if it is available,can you shed some light please m8.

Choora

State Regular
jlo33692 said:
I doubt very much that Inzi,s fitness is better than anyones i have seen in test cricket,he is a good batsman,.
LOL! then clearly you haven't seen anything.

I can name ten players whose fitness is and has been far worse than that of Inzi.

Akhtar (almost always unfit) Jones,Bond ,Tendulkar (unfit , yet was selected) Zaheer Khan are some of them!!

His antics in not wanting to play are fairly poor and most likely the reason he was not selected in the first place
LOL! You mean to say that the selectors didn't picked him coz they knew how Inzi is going to react :p

he was overlooked for the above reasons and his attitude but we will agree to disagree. i think the players picked ahead of him were picked because they are better players all round.
Whatever attitude you are talking baout had never been a problem with Inzi before this SS series selection, so you point that Inzi wasn't selected coz of his attitude is baseless and infact hilarious.

Sorry but you are too negative about Inzi and far less realistic, Inzi is a class act and even though he's NOT among my fav's cricket, i admire him coz i appreciate a class player.

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
Hi i am sunil gavaskar and the other selectors sitting on krishneels computer
these are the squads

ODI

1.Gayle
2.Virender Sehwag
3.Jacques Kallis
4.Brian Lara
5.Kevin Pietersen,
6.Andrew Flintoff,
7.Kumar Sangakkara
8.Shaun Pollock (capt),
9.Muttiah Muralitharan
10.Makhaya Ntini
11.Shoaib Akhtar

Test

1. Graeme Smith (capt)
2 Virender Sehwag
3, Rahul Dravid (vc)
4, Brian Lara
5, Jacques Kallis
6, Andrew Flintoff
7, Shaun Pollock
8, Mark Boucher
9, Steve Harmison
10, Shoaib Akhtar
11, Muttiah Muralitharan

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jlo33692 said:
The guy flying through the ranks was indeed Jeremy Lloyd and from what ive seen of him(and paul riffell) they are very good,they have the players respect.
But as soon as they make the panel and make a couple of mistakes (as all humans do) they'll be relegated into the pack of umpires.

greg

International Debutant
jlo33692 said:
Greg, what did you think of some of the batsman standing ground after the umpires decisions went against them? Right or wrong they must go and they must go without any antics IMO,but i feel it is creeping more and more into tests and in turn junior cricket.
Do you think the likes of Dicky Bird and co in older days got an easier ride because of (1) the older players upheld the spirit of cricket a lot higher and (2) the introduction of technoligy like hawk eye ect whaich puts pressure on umpires that Dicky and co never had to have,well not till the end of career.
I don't think it happens more than it used to, probably as a result of the disciplinary measures that can be taken against them. Remember in the days of one camera situated at one end of the game, we didn't have the closeup shots which could identify the players reactions. They either kicked up a major fuss a la Chris Broad or nobody knew there was any problem. It is also the case that players now, knowing that the truth will show up on the TV screens, want to give subtle indications to the commentators that they should check the replays properly.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Super Series Team selections - countries favoured/Over represented (out of proportion to their performances)
1 South Africa 2 possibly NZ (vettori/coach Wright- Whatmore should have been coach had it not been V Australia)

Representation in keeping with performance - 1 India 2 England 3 West Indies

Under representation (not represented adequately or under represented despite performances)
1 Pakistan 2 Sri Lanka

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
jlo33692 said:
hahaha Jono..
Are you going to any of the ODI m8 ,they are at telstra dome i am told,we are comming over to melbourne for the 2nd and 3rd,but will miss the first. i was told it has a roof ,so no rain can spoil play. Is this a cricket ground or is it used for the football ? if it is a footy ground as well as cricket do you know why they did not use the mighty MCG,is it cause rain or something forcast ,shame to not use one of top 3 grounds in the world of cricket if it is available,can you shed some light please m8.
The Telstra Dome is primarily a footy ground, but they've played cricket a few times - the first Chappell-Hadlee Trophy match last year was there...and yes, it does have a roof.

The MCG is having work done to the surface to prepare it for the Commonwealth Games (athletics track and such). Only the Boxing Day Test at the 'G this summer, all the Melbourne ODIs will be at the Telstra Dome.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Dasa said:
The Telstra Dome is primarily a footy ground, but they've played cricket a few times - the first Chappell-Hadlee Trophy match last year was there...and yes, it does have a roof.

The MCG is having work done to the surface to prepare it for the Commonwealth Games (athletics track and such). Only the Boxing Day Test at the 'G this summer, all the Melbourne ODIs will be at the Telstra Dome.
I didn't know that... This might mean we Melbourne residents get to see more on TV, given the lower capacity than the G and the added chance of sellouts. :)

And jlo, the Telstra Dome has a spectacular atmosphere when the roof is closed. I don't know whether they'll be closing the roof or not - that decision is sometimes made from game to game, depending on the weather.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JASON said:
Super Series Team selections - countries favoured/Over represented (out of proportion to their performances)
1 South Africa 2 possibly NZ (vettori/coach Wright- Whatmore should have been coach had it not been V Australia)

Under representation (not represented adequately or under represented despite performances)
1 Pakistan 2 Sri Lanka
How is 2 players out of 13 in the Test squad for England 'in keeping with performance'? And I'll be surprised if Harmison actually plays.

The best side (excluding Australia) by miles, has just beaten Australia and the likes of India and Pakistan have the same number of players as England in the Test squad. England should have had a minimum of 3 players in the Test squad.

Steulen

International Regular
Who should have been there?

I can think of Strauss as an opener, but I don't think he's clearly better than Sehwag or Smith. Vaughan is not good enough to break into that middle order, not even when you give him the captaincy benefit.
None of the other bowlers press a claim. Especially not with Simon Jones injured and only starting to make a name for himself.

greg

International Debutant
Steulen said:
Who should have been there?

I can think of Strauss as an opener, but I don't think he's clearly better than Sehwag or Smith. Vaughan is not good enough to break into that middle order, not even when you give him the captaincy benefit.
None of the other bowlers press a claim. Especially not with Simon Jones injured and only starting to make a name for himself.
It doesn't really matter - you need to see the post in the context of the post that started the line of discussion.

Originally Posted by JASON

1 Pakistan 2 Sri Lanka

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
What would be everyone's RoW Xi if you had to pick 1 player from each of the test nations (exlcluding Aus of course) and then some? Interested to see who gets picked from Bangladesh and Zim...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
I didn't know that... This might mean we Melbourne residents get to see more on TV, given the lower capacity than the G and the added chance of sellouts. :)

And jlo, the Telstra Dome has a spectacular atmosphere when the roof is closed. I don't know whether they'll be closing the roof or not - that decision is sometimes made from game to game, depending on the weather.
The roof is going to be closed for all 3 ODIs no matter what the weather is. I read that somewhere, I think it was on the MX.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
NZTailender said:
What would be everyone's RoW Xi if you had to pick 1 player from each of the test nations (exlcluding Aus of course) and then some? Interested to see who gets picked from Bangladesh and Zim...
1. V Sehwag (IND)
2. SP Fleming (NZL)
3. RS Dravid (IND)
4. BC Lara (WIN)
5. JH Kallis (SAF)
6. A Flintoff (ENG)
7. T Taibu (ZIM)
8. SM Pollock (SAF)
9. M Bin Mortaza (BAN)
10. D Kaneria (PAK)
11. M Muralitharan (SRI)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
The roof is going to be closed for all 3 ODIs no matter what the weather is. I read that somewhere, I think it was on the MX.
It was closed last year for the NZ ODI as well, even though the weather was great. Probably done to ensure good conditions throughout the match - and that it takes a while to close it if it were to rain.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
1.V.Sehwag (Ind)
2.M.Trescothick (Eng)
3.B.Lara (Wi)
4.R.Dravid (Ind)
5.A.Flintoff (End)
6.M.Ashraful (Ban)
7.K.Akmal (Pak)
8.S.Pollock (Saf)
9.H.Streak (Zim)
10. M.Muralitharan (Sri)