• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tri-Series

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If Jadeja is playing, should play as an anchoring batsman, at #3 perhaps. Obvious question is, is he good against moving ball? I feel that he is better than Raina or Rohit in that regard in the limited opportunities that I've seen him. Indian supporters may have a different opinion, and I wish to be corrected, as they've seen more of him.

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If Jadeja is playing, should play as an anchoring batsman, at #3 perhaps. Obvious question is, is he good against moving ball? I feel that he is better than Raina or Rohit in that regard in the limited opportunities that I've seen him. Indian supporters may have a different opinion, and I wish to be corrected, as they've seen more of him.
I highly doubt Jadeja is our answer to number 3 against the moving ball. Good suggestion though. I doubt we're ever going to bring Dravid back but maybe Kohli can play that role?

BeeGee

International Captain
(sigh) Yeah, as soon as saw I that I felt woeful. Mahela is SO hard to dislodge when he's set, and we don't have the pacemen to force him to react quicker. :laugh: Ah well.

I think NZ need to take a good look at the SL batting; Jayawardene and Sangakkara are always playing to the situation at hand, yet still give themselves time to get set.
NZ seem to think they always need to blast from ball one, which means they tend to worry too much about getting out, looking awkward and nervous until they get out.

Still, it's nice to always feel optimistic that somebody will do something special.
AWTA. I think it was a mistake to drop McKay in the last game. Tuffey, Mills and Oram are such similar bowlers. They bowl medium pace and if the ball is doing a bit they can be dangerous, but if the ball isn't doing anything they look toothless. McKay offers that extra yard of pace and this series is the perfect opportunity to give him a chance to develop with some match practice. If he could develop a good yorker and slower ball, he'd offer that much needed variety in our seam attack.

The team I'd like to see for this game (taking into account Williamson's possible injury):
Martin Guptill
BJ Watling
Ross Taylor
Kane Williamson / Nathan McCullum
Scott Styris
Grant Elliott
Jacob Oram
Gareth Hopkins
Daryl Tuffey
Kyle Mills
Andy McKay

BeeGee

International Captain
Never rated Oram, batting or bowling.
Every game I see him in, he craps it.
He's in the team for his bowling. His batting is terrible.
Here are his bowling figures from the two games he has played:

6 0 15 2 2.50
9 0 26 0 2.88

Those are good figures.

BeeGee

International Captain
In the two full batting innings that NZ has had so far in the tournament; Guptill, Williamson, Oram, Elliot and Hopkins have scored a total of 53 runs in 8 bats. That's a combined batting average of 6.6.
That's pretty woeful from the bulk of our batting lineup. These guys need to score some runs.

Flem274*

123/5
AWTA. I think it was a mistake to drop McKay in the last game. Tuffey, Mills and Oram are such similar bowlers. They bowl medium pace and if the ball is doing a bit they can be dangerous, but if the ball isn't doing anything they look toothless. McKay offers that extra yard of pace and this series is the perfect opportunity to give him a chance to develop with some match practice. If he could develop a good yorker and slower ball, he'd offer that much needed variety in our seam attack.

The team I'd like to see for this game (taking into account Williamson's possible injury):
Martin Guptill
BJ Watling
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris
Grant Elliott
Jacob Oram
Gareth Hopkins
Daryl Tuffey
Kyle Mills
Andy McKay
Daryl Tuffey doesn't deserve to be in the same bracket as Mills. Mills is world class.

BeeGee

International Captain
Daryl Tuffey doesn't deserve to be in the same bracket as Mills. Mills is world class.
Agreed. But Mills and Tuffey have a similar bowling STYLE. Same speed, seam up, wicket to wicket. Mills bowls more intelligently and has greater control than Tuffey, and is therefore more consistent and successful. I put them in the same "bracket" based on bowling style, not success.

Flem274*

123/5
Mills is a seam and swing bowler, Tuffey is line and length and seam movement. Mills is also about 5kph quicker than Tuffey on average. (Tuffey 125-130kph. Mills 125-135kph.)

Oram is very much line, length and bounce. Lots of bounce.

Similar speeds, different styles.

BeeGee

International Captain
Mills is a seam and swing bowler, Tuffey is line and length and seam movement. Mills is also about 5kph quicker than Tuffey on average. (Tuffey 125-130kph. Mills 125-135kph.)

Okay, so as a point of comparison, name two bowlers in world cricket today who you believe have the same bowling style.

DingDong

State Captain

yes i agree

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Martin Guptill
BJ Watling
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris
Grant Elliott
Jacob Oram
Gareth Hopkins
Daryl Tuffey
Kyle Mills
Andy McKay
Their other fitness concern is Kane Williamson, who has a bicep injury and couldn't bowl or throw on Monday.
Can someone let us know when we know more about Williamson playing? It doesn't sound very promising if he can't throw - and they won't want to damage him for a longer time period. Very dissapointing news.

Not surprised that Oram is out by the way. His middle name is injury.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Tuffey is out also. McKay and Southee are in. Williamson will play.

Kohli and Patel in for India.

Last edited: