• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tri-Series

Shri

Mr. Glass
If anyone calls him a great captain in the future(I don't care what he is going to achieve), I would always remind everyone of how he was okay with losing a match as long as an opposition batsman did not reach his 100.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At the post-match presentation Sanga says he didn't know the rule.

Surely I'm not alone in not believing this? He DEFINITELY said something to Randiv when the scores were tied.
I have to say I wasn't aware of that rule, could it be he told Randiv to finish it with an easy one to hit for Sehwag to make the ton?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's similar to if they need one to win, hit it for four but the batsmen complete a run before the ball reaches the boundary.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Was it still easy to hit? I'm only offering up a possible solution because Sangakkara doesn't strike me as the sort of person to do such an underhand thing on purpose.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The margin of the no-ball left no one in any doubt that it was purely intentional. Don't know whether it was Randiv's idea or whether he had specific instructions from Sanga.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The margin of the no-ball left no one in any doubt that it was purely intentional. Don't know whether it was Randiv's idea or whether he had specific instructions from Sanga.
If it was purely Randiv's idea, as I had assumed previously,

I hope Randiv has a **** international career averaging fifty with the ball and being dropped off the team in an year, then I want him to bowl pathetic drivel for one year in his domestic league and be dropped off his domestic team as well. WAC.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I have to say I wasn't aware of that rule, could it be he told Randiv to finish it with an easy one to hit for Sehwag to make the ton?
Both Sehwag and India needed just the 1 run. Giving him an easy one to hit would make sense if he needed a boundary to get the ton.

Very poor stuff from Randiv...good on Sehwag for taking it like a man.He was ready to throw the match but unwilling to fight till the last ball.Word has it that Sanga told him to do that in Sinhalese prior to the ball...India could have also done the same to Murali but they didn't....

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe i am getting too skeptical but that Previous ball where he let go ,for 4 byes seemed dodgy too.

Maybe Sanga and Sehwag had some banter about it and Sehwag said something in his undiplomatic way ,which Sanga thought he would teach a lesson too.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very poor stuff from Randiv...good on Sehwag for taking it like a man.He was ready to throw the match but unwilling to fight till the last ball.Word has it that Sanga told him to do that in Sinhalese prior to the ball...India could have also done the same to Murali but they didn't....
True, I never thought of that. I'd be absolutely raving mad if there had been anything remotely suggesting that considering there was an outside chance of saving the game.

Clever use of the bold in your post as well, just got it. :ph34r:

Last edited:

hkjain

Cricket Spectator
Although I am a Indian, I would not put all my ***** to Randiv.

See the below news when SA was in India.

Sehwag earns dubious distinction as fielder

Virender Sehwag earned the dubious distinction during the last day’s play at the Eden Gardens on Thursday for deliberately kicking the ball away over the ropes, with the intention of keeping Hashim Amla him on strike.

It was the fifth ball of Sachin Tendulkar’s over, the South African innings’ 130th , when Amla smacked a square off a short-pitched delivery. The ball raced away towards the fence but stopped just short of the boundary line. Sehwag intentionally kicked it over to deny opportunity to Amla to change ends. South Africa were on 284 for 9 at that time with Amla and No 11 Morne Morkel at the crease.

The umpires decided to award South Africa four penalty runs and also awarded a run to Amla for crossing over. The penalty, termed as ‘willful illegal act of fielder’ — the first such instance in Test cricket in India—- is covered under Law 19.6 of the Laws of Cricket, the ICC’s manual. BCCI statistician Dinar Gupte, when asked to recollect previous instances of such penalty for willful illegal act of a fielder by an Indian cricketer in Tests, said that there’s no such instance.

Source:Sehwag earns dubious distinction as fielder

Possibly Randiv did wrong but why Sehwag did the same with Amla. We never gave due attention to it may be it was not so big or the rule allowed sehwag to be punished there.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Although I am a Indian, I would not put all my ***** to Randiv.

See the below news when SA was in India.

Sehwag earns dubious distinction as fielder

Virender Sehwag earned the dubious distinction during the last day’s play at the Eden Gardens on Thursday for deliberately kicking the ball away over the ropes, with the intention of keeping Hashim Amla him on strike.

It was the fifth ball of Sachin Tendulkar’s over, the South African innings’ 130th , when Amla smacked a square off a short-pitched delivery. The ball raced away towards the fence but stopped just short of the boundary line. Sehwag intentionally kicked it over to deny opportunity to Amla to change ends. South Africa were on 284 for 9 at that time with Amla and No 11 Morne Morkel at the crease.

The umpires decided to award South Africa four penalty runs and also awarded a run to Amla for crossing over. The penalty, termed as ‘willful illegal act of fielder’ — the first such instance in Test cricket in India—- is covered under Law 19.6 of the Laws of Cricket, the ICC’s manual. BCCI statistician Dinar Gupte, when asked to recollect previous instances of such penalty for willful illegal act of a fielder by an Indian cricketer in Tests, said that there’s no such instance.

Source:Sehwag earns dubious distinction as fielder

Possibly Randiv did wrong but why Sehwag did the same with Amla. We never gave due attention to it may be it was not so big or the rule allowed sehwag to be punished there.
That was Tactical due to the stage of the game,with no intention of hiding it.

This was done to deliberately deny a Century with it having no effect on the game.

That was Tactical due to the stage of the game,with no intention of hiding it.

This was done to deliberately deny a Century with it having no effect on the game.
Yes if that was wrong then bringing up the field when the main bat is on strike with a tail-ender on the last ball must also be wrong.

akilana

International 12th Man
Intentionally kicking and not putting any efforts to stop the ball are two different things. I haven't seen the aforementioned footage though.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
While what Sehwag did was wrong in that game, he did it to try win the game for his team. Here there is nothing like that, he just wanting to be petty.