• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

SeamUp

International Coach
15th spot is Duminy's. So basically left out Amla to have all 3 of Mulder, Pretorius, Phehlukwayo and Nortje in for B.Hendricks.

Linde for Pretorius I would take.

Dendarii

International Debutant
15th spot is Duminy's. So basically left out Amla to have all 3 of Mulder, Pretorius, Phehlukwayo and Nortje in for B.Hendricks.
Phehlukwayo is pretty much a lock for the World Cup, and if Nortje does well then he'll be going as the fourth fast bowler in the squad. So that would make it a shoot-out between Mulder and Pretorius for the final spot.

Bad decision making then. I know who I am backing in a big match requiring bmt and it ain't reeza or rassie nor amla....
The problem is that Markram's yet to show he can do that in an ODI. I do think they should have taken another look at him, but his only 50 came in his debut against Bangladesh, so his lack of big scores since then resulted in him losing ground to Van Der Dussen and Hendricks.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Phehlukwayo is pretty much a lock for the World Cup, and if Nortje does well then he'll be going as the fourth fast bowler in the squad. So that would make it a shoot-out between Mulder and Pretorius for the final spot.

The problem is that Markram's yet to show he can do that in an ODI. I do think they should have taken another look at him, but his only 50 came in his debut against Bangladesh, so his lack of big scores since then resulted in him losing ground to Van Der Dussen and Hendricks.
Amla and duminy have had much longer runs with no significant scores but have always been locks...Rossouw was persisted with even after 5 ducks...

Some times you have trust talent to be rewarded.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Wish I was able to catch some of this series. Such a great result for SL, especially the way they bounced back following the Aus tour. Really loving just how topsy-turvy international cricket has been so far in 2019.

Biggest sporting upset involving RSA since Japan beat them in RWC 2015.

Dazza_20

Cricket Spectator
When we next play at home (August I think, against NZ) I'm guessing the team would look something like...

Dimuth (c)
BOP
Mendis
Chandimal/DdS
Kusal
Matthews
Dickwella
Embuldeniya
Lakmal
Vishwa
Sandakan (possibly Akila if his remodelled action is effective in ODIs)

DdS is an option at the top of the order too - he opens for his club, but his main success at test level has come down the order, certainly didn't seem to have the technique for it from what I saw in Aus. I'm fairly confident that for the time being, Roshen Silva, Gunathalika, Dilruwan Perera and Thirimanne will be out of the picture for a while.
Surely Pathum Nissanka comes into consideration for the next Test series. I know he is young but his record is hard to ignore!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SL must have improved massively in a very short time to go from what they were like in Aus to beating SA here. Some very impressive batting achievements especially.

Flem274*

123/5
a lot of their first choice players can seriously bat, they just desperately need experience away from asia on bouncy decks

mathews, karunaratne, mendis, chandimal, dickwella and perera are all varying grades of talented test players

Dendarii

International Debutant
Amla and duminy have had much longer runs with no significant scores but have always been locks...Rossouw was persisted with even after 5 ducks...

Some times you have trust talent to be rewarded.
That's true, but it's a risk going to the World Cup hoping that a player will come good then. I do think that Markram should have got a look in against Pakistan, but it seems that in the selectors' eyes Van Der Dussen and Hendricks have made better use of their opportunities, so they've opted for them ahead of Markram.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I suspect this could be a similar situation to Abbot where he actually signed the deal some time ago and it's only been announced now. Three months ago Olivier wouldn't have been expecting to play much test cricket, being behind Ngidi in the pecking order, and no one could have anticipated just how he would perform if he did get a run in the side. So it may have seemed like a reasonable decision then.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
I suspect this could be a similar situation to Abbot where he actually signed the deal some time ago and it's only been announced now. Three months ago Olivier wouldn't have been expecting to play much test cricket, being behind Ngidi in the pecking order, and no one could have anticipated just how he would perform if he did get a run in the side. So it may have seemed like a reasonable decision then.
Said on his instagram statement that he had begun to explore options in between waiting for a recall after his last test against Bangladesh in 2017. Still surprising though, surely he was good enough to get a contract for someone as a regular overseas?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised at how surprised everybody is? He is not one of the 3 main SA seamers; and as fantastic as he has been he has Nortje and Ngidi breathing down his neck. And even with a SA contract he was always likely to make more money overseas. Unless you are guaranteed a spot in SA side consistently why would you not take the deal? Sportsman have a limited life span.

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Brexit deadline in the end of March means that Kolpak would likely not be an available option after that...therefore it's now or never for a lot of these players.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just disappointing after his recent performances. How nice would it be if guys could just play for their countries without pay bull**** and other concerns?