• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

JBH001

International Regular
Well done West Indies. Genuinely pleased they won, and hope they keep it up against Australia.

Disappointed that it was not a 3 test series, as it has been a good and interesting match up.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL again proving why they are crap when they play away from home...even against West Indies. Credit to West Indies for resurrecting and levelling the series...Murali again struggling to get wickets when it matters and SL absolutely pathetic when that guy goes wicketless...you could argue SL is a "one match-winning bowler" Team and when that guy fails, every thing flops...:laugh:

The fielding is again pathetic from all reports...Trevor Penney kept SL in a winning frame with absolute rigid fieldiing that they hardly missed catches and Bayliss has been an abyssmal failure as a coach and even the fielding has gone to the Dogs under his period and SL go from bad (2-0 innings walloping in Australia) to worse, beaten by the Windies...

I wonder how long before no-nonsense Ranatunga shows Bayliss the door ...can't be far away..

The skipper (Mahela) who blames the top order needs to take a bloody good look at himself in the mirror , without proferring excuses....and if someone has to make way for Prasanna J it has to be Dilshan ...despite his contribution in the first innings (of 50 odd runs) its the same old story ....he just does enough to stay in the Team ...but can never do enough and be a match winner...he can't make a hundred ....at 31 its time to move him to the Substitute bench and bring Kapugedera in and give him a longer run ...Look at India giving all their young guns a run and being rewarded with their contributions...

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We all knew it was one of (or both) Sarwan and Chanderpaul that would lead WI to victory, and they didn't let us down.

Until I read this thread I had NO idea that it was a 2 test series, just presumed it'd be 3 tests, and was looking forward to the decider.

**** you ICC.

Laurrz

International Debutant
wow what a brilliant partnership... these two are so good under pressure... at 3/90 i thought Lanka would win as one more wicket would open up everything..but that was not to be, great stuff

shame about no 3rd test..one dayers now

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SL again proving why they are crap when they play away from home...even against West Indies. Credit to West Indies for resurrecting and levelling the series...Murali again struggling to get wickets when it matters and SL absolutely pathetic when that guy goes wicketless...you could argue SL is a "one match-winning bowler" Team and when that guy fails, every thing flops...:laugh:
The Test that Sri Lanka won in the series was down to the bowling of Vaas, not Murali. Murali looked largely ineffective in that match, actually.
and if someone has to make way for Prasanna J it has to be Dilshan ...despite his contribution in the first innings (of 50 odd runs) its the same old story ....he just does enough to stay in the Team ...but can never do enough and be a match winner...he can't make a hundred ....at 31 its time to move him to the Substitute bench and bring Kapugedera in and give him a longer run ...Look at India giving all their young guns a run and being rewarded with their contributions...
Is Kapugedera really likely to go better than a 37 Test average? That's what Dilshan boasts, which in the context of a lower middle order batsman is pretty good. Especially considering that the proposed replacement averages under 32 when he plays half his cricket in a weak domestic league.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Is Kapugedera really likely to go better than a 37 Test average? That's what Dilshan boasts, which in the context of a lower middle order batsman is pretty good. Especially considering that the proposed replacement averages under 32 when he plays half his cricket in a weak domestic league.
Dilshan pretty much had the same average at the same stage in his career. He only actually started to increase above 35 the season he got recalled to the Test side. Most of his career he averaged low 30s. So I don't think it would really be out of question that Kapugedera could average mid to high 30s, considering he has far greater talent then Dilshan.

EDIT: To add to that there is only a difference of just over 1 in both their domestic records. Dilshan runs for Sri Lanka A and Sri Lanka on more sporting pitches then those in domestic cricket are really the only difference between their records. Given the same chance I would be surprised if Kapugedera didn't out perform Dilshan by a fair bit.

But personally I would go with Paranavitana who now averages 40 plus in FC cricket. He can bat in the top order, which will allow Sangakkara to bat at 4 or 5 and still keep.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

The fielding is again pathetic from all reports...Trevor Penney kept SL in a winning frame with absolute rigid fieldiing that they hardly missed catches and Bayliss has been an abyssmal failure as a coach and even the fielding has gone to the Dogs under his period and SL go from bad (2-0 innings walloping in Australia) to worse, beaten by the Windies...

I wonder how long before no-nonsense Ranatunga shows Bayliss the door ...can't be far away..

The skipper (Mahela) who blames the top order needs to take a bloody good look at himself in the mirror , without proferring excuses....and if someone has to make way for Prasanna J it has to be Dilshan ...despite his contribution in the first innings (of 50 odd runs) its the same old story ....he just does enough to stay in the Team ...but can never do enough and be a match winner...he can't make a hundred ....at 31 its time to move him to the Substitute bench and bring Kapugedera in and give him a longer run ...Look at India giving all their young guns a run and being rewarded with their contributions...
Not really sure someone (Murali) who gets 6 wickets at 28.5 with SR of 53 actually let his team down. But yeah, you'd hope a bowler of his caliber would pull out something to nick the win.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Murali let his team down, but he was very ordinary for the most part of the 2 Tests. He certainly was not a great threat.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Murali let his team down, but he was very ordinary for the most part of the 2 Tests. He certainly was not a great threat.
recently he hasnt troubled batsmen as much as we know he can.... well if you disclude the test series in England (i think i shouldnt disclude this.. but u know what i mean........fine, he hasnt consistenlty struggled a lot of batsmen in this period)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
SQUAD: Chris Gayle (Captain), Ramnaresh Sarwan (Vice Captain), Sulieman Benn, Patrick Browne (Wicket-keeper), Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Sewnarine Chattergoon, Fidel Edwards, Runako Morton, Keiron Pollard, Daren Powell, Denesh Ramdin (Wicket-keeper), Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor.

For the ODIs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Runako Morton is one of the most frustrating ODI batsmen. He takes forever to get going sometimes, and unlike Chanderpaul, he rarely gets going far.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope SL can take a cue from West Indies and India and rest Vaas as well and play the others through this ODI series...We really need to give the younger bowlers a go here...Not sure if Malinga , Maharoof or Dilhara will be available, but giving Vaas a rest is necessary IMO to give the others like Amerasinghe , Welagedera etc a couple of games in ODIs .

roseboy64

Runako Morton is one of the most frustrating ODI batsmen. He takes forever to get going sometimes, and unlike Chanderpaul, he rarely gets going far.
Hyatt would have been a better option. Probably Morton's last chance to prove himself if he's to play against NZ.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hyatt would have been a better option. Probably Morton's last chance to prove himself if he's to play against NZ.
Except Hyatt has done precisely nothing to deserve selection. Morton may not be international quality, but he's (at this time) a fair shout better than Hyatt. Quite a few people ahead of Hyatt right now. Doesn't even have a List-A fifty IIRC.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Can't actually think of anyone who's been picked on Twenty20 form tbh. If you're meaning Kieron Pollard, he had a fantastic first-class and List-A season before he was picked.

roseboy64

Wasn't being serious at all there. Considering how they do with squad selections it's a fair shout.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL 's ODI record of late being very poor , I would be very surprised if they win any ....in fact it would be keeping with their current form in both forms of the game if they lost all three...

dinu23

International Debutant
SL 's ODI record of late being very poor , I would be very surprised if they win any ....in fact it would be keeping with their current form in both forms of the game if they lost all three...
Jason, you and your comments are all SL need to win this series :D

you're our good luck charm!