• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Surely it must be confusing for Sri Lankans as well, when people can be known by different names? Does everyone have an 'official' surname or do names have different structures anyway, like in India?
Generally speaking Sinhalese names are comprised of at least 5 names. The first couple tend to be ancestral titles, locations, clans etc. Usually the last three names are the ones used in the western sense. But these names are rarely used because they imply a lot of personal information which one might not want to share. Suffice to say, no one actually goes around introducing themselves as Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas. But it can get a bit more confusing yet. For example, my actual surname isn't my actual surname. Somewhere down the line, my great grandfather decided to make his given name by grandfather's surname. So now my actual surname precedes all my other names.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
****in love Sarwan, I swear.

I have money on a SL win but I honestly would rather see WI pull off a miraculous victory.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gayle scared of Vaas.
Sarwan out at 3 still no Gayle. I've never seen an opening batsmen being protected before

edit: apart From Greame Smith against England a few years back
Exactly what it reminded me of. Captain and ppening batsman utterly unable to tackle opening bowler. Runs away.
Gayle’s did it just recently (domestically) in the 20/20. He couldn’t the hit ball of the square for Jamaica and was seen as liability against the new ball so he dropped himself down.

Think its pretty good thinking tbh. Murali made Bravo look like a complete idiot yesterday whilst; Gayle can not buy a run against Vaas - So to correct that just swap.
A bit cowardly, but for all the courage in the world, Gayle may never be able to handle Vaas with the new ball. And Bravo doesn't look great against Murali. In that way, it makes sense.
Understand that but his had this weakness for years and his hardly going to be able to change that overnight. It undermines Gayle’s 'machismo' but at the end of the day its thinking on your feet and not being dogmatic about your game.
With Smith, he was constantly embarassed my Hoggard so went down the order.

Has Gayle got a history of struggling with Vaas before this test? Because at the moment it was only just one innings.

That being said, my respect has actually gone up for Gayle. Doing what's best for his team, not for his ego/reputation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Has Gayle got a history of struggling with Vaas before this test? Because at the moment it was only just one innings.
Yeah, someone mentioned it before the game actually. Got him 7 times in 10 innings or something like that.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You just said that he can't bowl at full pace without getting injured, because he's not built for it. Make up your mind.

Hardly capable of bowling fast then.
At club level he will never be able to bowl at the pace he capable without getting injuried due to the lack of professional fitness programs to keep bowlers continually fit. At international level with a better fitness program. I believe he will be able to improve his fitness to the levels required to bowl 90 mph and stay fit without breaking down. There is massive difference between the professional nature of montioring players fitness levels from club level and international level in Sri Lanka.

If he can maintain his spot in the national side, even bowling at his current high 130s. All it should take is just six months to work with him by our International physcios and he will be able to improve his fitness. So he can regularly bowl 90 mphs and not break down.

Most of his problems in relation to injuries have been due to poor management of his injuries by his various club sides. As well as the lack facilities and focus on strength building (weight work) for domestic bowlers to maintain their fitness.

A lot of it comes down to greater focus on player fitness at International level, then the bowlers actually body.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
this is dangerous for lanka - not getting wickets

the longer this pship goes- the more chance windies have of winning as they can really go ape **** at the end with wickets in hand and quality batsmen (Shiv can turn it on)

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
Great partnership for the Windies. Too often when a batsmen knuckles down for them and gets a big score (Chanderpaul). A constant flow of wickets fall at the other end. Good to see both Batsmen showing some determination. The West Indian batting looks a lot stronger without the awful Runako Morton. I hope they can at least salvage a draw because I really don't like Sri Lanka.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bravo goes on 83. A real shame. Him scoring runs opening will probably probably throw a spanner into the selection works, especially with Smith's double failure and Ganga-esque career record. I don't really think it should, given his role with the ball, but it will.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
With Smith, he was constantly embarassed my Hoggard so went down the order.

That being said, my respect has actually gone up for Gayle. Doing what's best for his team, not for his ego/reputation.
Gayle is the definition of a bunny. in 10 odd matches, Vaas got Gayle about 7-8 times. His average against SL is lower than 15, and HS is 44.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I love what Michael Holding said when commenting on Samuels 'He looked like he was dreaming at the crease' i didn't see it but he is probably rite... Marlon is a bit too laid back !