• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2020/21 Tests

SeamUp

International Coach
Does this mean we have to continue with Hendricks as an unknown for another year?
Very frustrating. We need him to define his future asap

You would think his white-ball opportunities have been so far off required that at least that should be sorted.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If he was not a left armer he would have been discarded many moons ago... people seem to really get hung up on the left arm bowlers for some reason.

Flem274*

123/5
We did not pick Dhanushka Gunathilaka in the squad and that is a mistake IMO. In the concluded LPL, he was the best player of pace out of all players, including overseas ones. Only time he was in trouble was against slower balls and slower bowlers early on. He should have partnered DK IMO. Kusal Perera and Dasun Shanaka should never be in the test squad IMO. Looking at available squad

Dimuth Karunarathne* (L)
Oshada Fernando (R)
Kusal Perera (R, wk)
Kusal Mendis (R)
Dinesh Chandimal (R, wk)
Dhananjaya de Silva (R, OB)
Niroshan Dickwella+ (L, wk)
Wanindhu Hasaranga (R, LBG)
Suranga Lakmal (R, RFM)
Kasun Rajitha (R, RFM) / Vishwa Fernando (L, LFM)
Lahiru Kumara (L, RF)

is the likely XI. There is bit of a cloud regarding Oshada's fitness, and if it is the case everyone might move one place up and Thiri may come at #5 (praying not to happen). If the pitch shows even a bit of spin, Embuldeniya might replace a fast bowler.
gunathilaka is one of the worst opening batsmen i have ever seen. he should never play for sri lanka again without significant improvement to everything he does.

also has angelo mathews died?

edit - injured i see. goddammit, he's never going to be what he could be is he.

SeamUp

International Coach
For South Africa, it looks at least one debut in Glenton Stuurman.

Think they will go Wiaan Mulder or Dwaine Pretorius (if fit) to round out the top 7.

DriveClub

International Regular
If this series is as exciting as the last one we could be in for a cracker. Some of the SA bowlers must be doing some serious research on kusal perera lol

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
gunathilaka is one of the worst opening batsmen i have ever seen. he should never play for sri lanka again without significant improvement to everything he does.
Migara likes him because he can dominate quicks for 30 seconds by pulling a couple of balls for four before he gets out.

This is actually a weird recurring theme. If Migara is aroused it doesn't matter if he makes runs.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What's going on with patthum nissanka? Why does he not get a game? Also really excited to see wanindu play.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Hasaranga really test material? Sceptical from what I've seen from ODIs, but I suppose time will tell. Wouldn't play Rajitha over Fernando, both are a bit meh but Fernando (aside from being a leftie) was the better bowler last time in SA.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

also has angelo mathews died?

edit - injured i see. goddammit, he's never going to be what he could be is he.
Guy has improved miles. Even a quick 30 - 40 against fast bowlers can be useful than having Thirimanne pushing and prodding for an hour and getting out to (65).

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What's going on with patthum nissanka? Why does he not get a game? Also really excited to see wanindu play.
Many of our boys despite making loads of runs in domestic circuit are very vulnerable against pace. We saw it with Roshen Silva, Aussies butchered his technique. (He was very good against Indian spinners, but we are touring SAF). Most of the time selectors have to watch players bat to see how they do against particular players. Dhanushka Gunathilaka, Angelo Perera, Bhanuka Rajapakshe are those rare guys who are OKish with facing pace. All three are very volatile, undisciplined and could be unfit too (to their credit, all three looked very good in the LPL). So it is not as simple as looking at FCC stats and asking "why player X is not selected?"

Bahseph

State Captain
I will throw a tantrum...
I know that Faf is a big fan of Hulk. But I hope saner heads prevail. We need Mulder to have some exposure at this level. We know what Pretorius can do. Containing bowler and a batsman with a not very sound defence.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No Dwaine thank goodness. Mulder helps strengthen the batting and bowling which looks pretty weak overall. I hope Sipamla handles the pressure and does well. Tough to be thrown into Test conditions so young. Probably the most balanced side we've had in awhile.

Last edited: