• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So this test will see Nicholls and Macewell persisted with for another 5 years huh.
That said, I remember when Simon Katich was under huge pressure in his ODI opening role and scored a hundred to silence the haters. Then he went to the SC and didn't score much in a rain effected series and was quietly dropped. So there's a little chance a bad tour of Bangladesh might see these two shown the door.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t enforce the follow on ffs. Hasn’t been a short stint in the field and the forecast for Tuesday is alright. Bat, run up 200 and declare overnight.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Likely team to play Bangladesh if KJ is fit:

Bat deep and no youth unless new coach changes things, so:

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Nicholls
Mitchell
Blundell
Santner
M Bracewell
Sodhi
Jamieson
Southee

NZTailender

Don’t enforce the follow on ffs. Hasn’t been a short stint in the field and the forecast for Tuesday is alright. Bat, run up 200 and declare overnight.
Latham and Conway should be given as much time in the middle as possible. Maybe even bat Mitchell and Blundell at 3 and 4 for the fun of it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
DUI's may explain why dougeh hasn't gotten an IPL contract despite his gun domestic record and good performance in the one IPL game he played.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Must be some risk of this going very roady and Sri Lanka batting all day 4 without losing a wicket again. Talk of Macewell bowling NZ to victory, but I expect just the standard first and second new ball the most important periods.

James

Cricket Web Owner
So this test will see Nicholls and Macewell persisted with for another 5 years huh.
No one banging down the door to put them under pressure at the moment really is there. Both Young and Ravindra haven't exactly set the world alight with the opportunities they've had to date at international level. And neither of them are doing a Sinclair at domestic level.

I think the selectors trust those players that have been there/done that at international level or had many solid years of domestic cricket. Especially in Nicholls case. They're probably taking a leaf out of Steve Hansen's playbook where you have your trusted players and know they'll come right. Rather than risk someone un-proven.

Save the youngsters for the T20s and let the experienced players handle Tests in my opinion.

Flem274*

123/5
Karu's interesting in that his overall record is good but the H/A gap is huge and he's struggled against the Big 3. Alas, big tons against the West Indies or whoever has the feel of "if a tree fell in the woods but no-one heard it".
This is true for Sanath and Dilshan too. I was pondering the same question and when you look at results it's very close.

I will admit some bias in that Karu has played one of the best knocks I've seen on our shores and his rivals...have not, to be nice.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
No one banging down the door to put them under pressure at the moment really is there. Both Young and Ravindra haven't exactly set the world alight with the opportunities they've had to date at international level. And neither of them are doing a Sinclair at domestic level.
Can't agree.
I don't know what more Glenn Phillips could do, and Ish Sodhi was arguably our best player in Pakistan. Even Santner took a 5-fer and scored a 100 in Plunket Shield a couple of weeks ago.

NZTailender

Kind of odd to say no one's banging the door down to replace them when Bracewell in particular had the door opened for him with no domestic form warranting his long form selection. We can only speculate how Young or Ravindra would've gone had they been given the same amount of chances as Nicholls and Bracewell.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Can't agree.
I don't know what more Glenn Phillips could do, and Ish Sodhi was arguably our best player in Pakistan. Even Santner took a 5-fer and scored a 100 in Plunket Shield a couple of weeks ago.
Also Ashtok is older and more experienced than Vettori was when he was picked and has twice as many 1st class 5-fers in 3 matches than Bracewell does in 103.