• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Sri Lanka in Netherlands thread

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
oke, in hollands defense, the sri lankan team is in top form. and Holland is the one that gets the record against them, bowling was reasonable good, bar some crap fulltosses. catching was good, ground fielding was poor with Kashif being the monty of the team..although a direct hit from the boundry made some things good....
Hollands batting was excellent, with de Leede upfront with a very good innings, Kervezee played awesome too, and Reekers and Ten Doeschate we're smashing it!
all in all a good days out, and standing next to Trevor Penny and Moody while they were discussing Hollands player in a lap round the field.
walking round the field and being greeted by Kervezee is cool to :p

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Report:

443-9: Carnage in Amsterdam

Following their 5-0 thrashing of a despondent England side, Sri Lanka exacted further punishment on European opposition by smashing a weak Netherlands attack around Amstelveen en route to a limited-overs international record total of 443 for nine off 50 overs.

The charge was led again by Sanath Jayasuriya, entering ominous form ahead of next year's World Cup. Fattened on some loose English bowling over recent weeks, a hop over the channel gave Jayasuriya the chance to stock up for the long flight home with a gluttonous, help-yourself buffet put on by the minnow's bowling. His 104-ball 157 contained 25 boundaries (although just the solitary maximum), and paved the way for an equally devastating knock from Tillakaratne Dilshan, who finished unbeaten on 117 from 79. Cameos from captain Mahela Jayawardene (34 from 24), Kumar Sangakkara (46 from 43) and Farveez Maharoof (31 from 25) ensured that Sri Lankan passed the previous ODI best of 438, set by South Africa in the Johannesburg classic in March, in the final over.

To their credit the Dutch put up stiff resistance, and kept up with the run-rate in the initial overs, before settling for match practice. Losing key man Bas Zuiderent in the second over was not an ideal start, but Dan Reekers and Essex's Ryan ten Doeschate (both 39) steadied the ship. The veteran Tim de Leede, who had earlier seen his single over disappear for 18, struck a rapid 51, and 16-year-old Alex Kervezee made 47: he promises much for the Caribbean come next year, and indeed for many years to come. Dilhara Fernando took three top order wickets for 39, whilst legspinners Malinga Bandara (2 for 52) and Kaushal Lokuarachchi (3 for 41) mopped up the tail.

The second one-day international takes place on Thursday (July 6), again at Amstelveen.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Hopefully trusty old Saj will take poor Mick's record.
Thats if he gets another game...

Well done sri lankans, youve broken the odi record, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise, it counts

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
I just hope that this game doesn't make the ICC rethink what they are doing with the associates - In my opinion, thats one of the only good things the ICC has done off late with the whole Development program and such games will only help associates grow..

And besides England fared rather similarly the way Sri Lanka is playing now.. I hope the game on 6th doesn't get affected by rain though!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
chekmeout said:
I just hope that this game doesn't make the ICC rethink what they are doing with the associates - In my opinion, thats one of the only good things the ICC has done off late with the whole Development program and such games will only help associates grow..

And besides England fared rather similarly the way Sri Lanka is playing now.. I hope the game on 6th doesn't get affected by rain though!
It should not when you consider the Netherlands did pretty well with the bat, all things considered and that Ireland gave us a pretty close game last month.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Holland did very well with the bat, and what do you expect..a pitch that doesnt to anything, and a Sri Lankan team in top form...

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Kweek but I personally feel of all the associates the Dutch have the strongest batting and weakest bowling line-up especially with the absence of Schiferli.. I mean with your keeper coming it at number 10.. the Dutch bat deep! And players such as ten Doeschate, van Bunge, de Leede, Kervezee - are class batsmen in the Associate level... I even feel Buurman's got serious potential judging by the way he played against India A in Abu Dhabi...

I'd go far enough to say that the Dutch batting lineup is better than that of Bangladesh & Zimbabwe.. What do you reckon?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chekmeout said:
I'd go far enough to say that the Dutch batting lineup is better than that of Bangladesh & Zimbabwe.. What do you reckon?

I reckon you are wrong in the case of Bangladesh, but probably right in the case of Zimbabwe.

Madame*Cricket

Cricket Spectator
Such a pity South Africa's record had to be broken in this farce of a game :@ I can't see people remembering this for long, let alone in the same context as the Wanderers classic a few months ago.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Irrelevant match, irrelevant result, irrelevant stat.

23 years ago my club scored over 400 runs in a 40 over match in Delhi. In another match my good friend Ashok Nanda hit a double century. I dont remember talking too much about it even amongst club circles in Delhi because of the quality of the opposition.

I am not for a minute comparing our club side to Sri Lanka but just making a point about irrelevance of stats in the absence of the context.

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
I expect Netherlands with Marco Van Basten coaching them get to the Semi Finals. So Netherlands v SL ODI may end up being played when Netherlands will be more interested in their soccer team. * As if they would've bothered about cricket otherwise *:laugh:
And now Tour de France time.

The amount of people that turned up for the finish at Valkenburg was massive (well over 100k).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
It should not when you consider the Netherlands did pretty well with the bat, all things considered and that Ireland gave us a pretty close game last month.
Scotland did pretty well against Pakistan as well.

I think the fact that Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands all managed to post over 200 is a positive sign.

It cannot be ignored that Sri Lanka were in fantastic form also.

Drawing parallells to the old Gentlemen vs Players days it was always said that in terms of batting that there was little difference but that the Players produced quality bowlers far more regularly than the Gentlemen.

This is what we are seeing now. Amateur bowlers find it hard to develop and compete. As the above mentioned players become more professional then the quality of bowling will improve.

This is the starting point rather than the end and I actually find it encourageing.

What does worry me, rather than the quality of cricket, is the lack of exposure. Games like this must have a high profile and be well attended but that is work for preople away from the field.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As already stated Ireland, Neth, and Scotland all scored over 200 in their last games. Their first outside the WC or Champions Trophy, ie their first as a 'real' ODI team.

To put this in perspective
- Bangladesh did not score over 200 until their 12th game
- Netherlands have only played 14 ODIs, Bangladesh have played 125 yet they have a better highest innings score, 314 compared to 301
- Zimbabwe has score over 200 in only 1 of their last 6 ODIs against Test nations.
- As for the Netherlands being embarrassed in this game, I think this game was far poorer comparing the opposition. ODI # 1239

http://rsa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1997-98/OD_TOURNEYS/PRESC/BDESH_KENYA_PRESC_ODI1_10OCT1997.html

Im convinced that Ireland, Neth and Scotland can produce players capable of compteing (at least at the lower levels) in ODIs. Its just now upto the ICC and domestic administrators to provide them with a framework to acheive this.

Steulen

International Regular
What worries me is that CricInfo says the Dutch board refused to allow them to cover the game with live commentary, allegedly the first time a full ODI was not covered ball-by-ball on CricInfo. If this is true, it appears the Dutch administrators are already as dimwitted as their world governing buddies at the ICC...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
What worries me is that CricInfo says the Dutch board refused to allow them to cover the game with live commentary, allegedly the first time a full ODI was not covered ball-by-ball on CricInfo. If this is true, it appears the Dutch administrators are already as dimwitted as their world governing buddies at the ICC...
When I saw that I was also worried. Maybe there is a good reason for it but I can't think of one.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Steulen said:
The simple reason from what I can see is an allegiance with Cricket Europe.. Cricket Europe has done a LOT for promoting the sport in Netherlands and actually give daily scores of the domestic competitions in Netherlands along with comprehensive news coverage.. So they decided to let Cricket Europe cover it live for a change and to show their commitment to Cricket Europe they didn't let CricInfo cover it too making Cricket Europe's coverage exclusive.

Make sense?