• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Why the hell are Sri Lanka still batting? Are they aiming for records* or aiming to win?

* Though hey, would be cool in some ways if they cracked the thousand mark :dry:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of criticism of Dhoni's captancy in the press - mainly how defensive he is

He is obviously worth his place in the side but much of 2009 has been pretty horrible for the Indian team and it wouldnt surprise if the murmurs become a rumble if they lose this series

Shri

Mr. Glass
Actually couldn't help notice that the Indian bowler's in general have rubbish test averages which to me really emphasizes the pitches they generally play on & suggests to me that their batsmen's averages flatter to deceive
Yeah, you could say that.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Actually couldn't help notice that the Indian bowler's in general have rubbish test averages which to me really emphasizes the pitches they generally play on & suggests to me that their batsmen's averages flatter to deceive
Thats what home and away averages are for. :unsure:

DingDong

State Captain
it's sad india continues to produce these kinds of wickets. no wonder there pace bowling stocks are so weak. who would want to bowl on these highways?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's sad india continues to produce these kinds of wickets. no wonder there pace bowling stocks are so weak. who would want to bowl on these highways?
Can't say I've seen the pitch, but surely Murali could be a factor in the last 130-140 overs or so with the added pressure of the big deficit for the Indian's

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah. There are result pitches available too. But they get games during 3 or 5 match test series. Delhi, Mumbai etc for example.

Shame that the Chennai pitch has become a road in recent times as well. Was a really good test wicket in the 90s.

Zinzan

Yeah. There are result pitches available too. But they get games during 3 or 5 match test series. Delhi, Mumbai etc for example.

Shame that the Chennai pitch has become a road in recent times as well. Was a really good test wicket in the 90s.
Just 9 runs off the last 4 overs :ph34r:....you'd think they'd step it up given they're not declaring

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The BCCI needs to step in and curb these state boards from preparing flat pitches. It's not so much the match getting boring- the Indian team is genuinely vulnerable on flat decks. No matter how many the Indians score, the opposition outscore them, often scoring enough to force adequate pressure to win the game. India's batsmen on dodgy wickets are far better than their bowlers on flat decks with no assistance. Every team has a home advantage with the kind of pitch and possibly outfield, but the Indians have no advantage whatsoever on a flat deck.

For all the criticism that has been heaped on the Indians, let's not forget that thsi is the best team they can field, and these are eleven quality players, the best they can get. The way they have been managed, once again, has been deplorable. There's a captain who takes no risks and plays safe too often. There's a coach who doesn't innovate. There are state associations who make things far tougher for the home team when international matches are played. There are fickle selectors who lay off good players because of one bad match or series. This is not even taking into account a cricket board that still hasn't done much to help the team or the game here, or the fickle observers from the media, experts and fans. With so much against them, it's little wonder the players have it so tough.

Zinzan

The BCCI needs to step in and curb these state boards from preparing flat pitches. It's not so much the match getting boring- the Indian team is genuinely vulnerable on flat decks. No matter how many the Indians score, the opposition outscore them, often scoring enough to force adequate pressure to win the game. India's batsmen on dodgy wickets are far better than their bowlers on flat decks with no assistance. Every team has a home advantage with the kind of pitch and possibly outfield, but the Indians have no advantage whatsoever on a flat deck.
Disagree with this. I've seen nothing over the years that suggest India suit sprightly wickets in anyway whatsoever. Of course the classic example going back a few years was their tour of NZ in 2002 (admittedly 7 yrs ago) when they had that supposed million dollar batting lineup & were all at sea against an relatively average NZ attack on those green decks.

Of course you may point to their series against NZ earlier this year, but NZ test pitches have generally been flat for around 4-5 years now, and that series was no exception.

Also, as far as I remember, their test wins in Aust in the last few years were played on flat-decks.

All that said, I haven't followed the Indian test side that closely over the last 2-3 years, so happy to be corrected if you can point out when they've done well on green/seaming/dodgy pitches against decent opposition

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Doubt if there will be a result. Pitch looks too anodyne. Reports seem to suggest that any turn is slow turn with the ball staying low.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Disagree with this. I've seen nothing over the years that suggest India suit sprightly wickets in anyway whatsoever. Of course the classic example going back a few years was their tour of NZ in 2002 (admittedly 7 yrs ago) when they had that supposed million dollar batting lineup & were all at sea against an relatively average NZ attack on those green decks.

Of course you may point to their series against NZ earlier this year, but NZ test pitches have generally been flat for around 4-5 years now, and that series was no exception.

Also, as far as I remember, their test wins in Aust in the last few years were played on flat-decks.

All that said, I haven't followed the Indian test side that closely over the last 2-3 years, so happy to be corrected if you can point out when they've done well on green/seaming/dodgy pitches against decent opposition
Won on a touch pitch, lost on a flat track in South Africa.