• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

DaBombayDuck

Cricket Spectator
My take on the India test team:

1) Ganguly should NOT have been picked but enought of that.
2) I wouldn't have picked Dhoni....c'mon his first class average is 36 and he only plays in the 2nd division of the Ranji trophy.
I would have persisted with Dinesh Karthik a bit longer - his keeping has impressed me and I think he will improve the bat.
If Dhoni is successful at test level, I'll be happy to eat my words but I remain sceptical.
3) Agarkar and Murali Kartik should not have been selected either - even though I am a proud Mumbaikar I have to admit AA's just not cut out for test cricket....and when will the selectors wake up and realise that Murali Kartik is nothing more than mediocre.
AMit Mishra should have been picked as the third spinner.

shankar

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
A wash out - what's the weather looking like for the rest of the game?
The present prediction is that the cyclone crosses shore by tonight. So hopefully we shouldn't have any problems after about tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Latest prediction is that that although the storm has weakened and crossed shore, there will be heavy rains for 36 hours. :(

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I would still put Avishka ahead of Mubarak.

My Team -

Avishka
Tharanga
Atapattu
Sangakkara
Mahela
Dilshan
Samaraweera
Vaas
Malinga Bandara
Muralitharan
Malinga
I see Tharanga as our future No3, so if they picked Avishka i would have him and Atapattu open, then Tharanga one down. Personally i would rather them have Vandort or Daniel here over Avishka, but the selectors only go half way when they make bold moves like dropping Jayasuriya.

dinu23

International Debutant
Jason, Loga, ur teams only have four frontline bowlers. I don't think thats enough. thats why I thought of replacing dilshan with Bandara.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
Jason, Loga, ur teams only have four frontline bowlers. I don't think thats enough. thats why I thought of replacing dilshan with Bandara.
I don't think our batting is strong enough to just have 6 batsmen. Also Vaas and Bandara aren't good enough batsmen to bat at 7 and 8. Having Thilan as the 5th bowler is better then them at 7 and 8.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Damn, Chennai just keeps having wash outs.
I remember Chennai to be an extremely hot place every time I've been there . :D
But that's usually been for some reason around the months of March / April.

On another note - Murali could claim Chennai as a home ground since his wife is from Chennai !! :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
chaminda_00 said:
I don't think our batting is strong enough to just have 6 batsmen. Also Vaas and Bandara aren't good enough batsmen to bat at 7 and 8. Having Thilan as the 5th bowler is better then them at 7 and 8.
I don't think it is a good idea for the same reasons mentioned by Chaminda (alias Loga. :D ). Our batting ATM is struggling and going into a Test against India with 6 batsmen is suicidal. If Sanath was fit and batsmen were in reasonable form, that could've been an option.

In this rain-curtailed Test our Team's primary focus now has to be (to be realistic and ) to bat for a draw from now on !!

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
shankar said:
Yep. The cyclone is stationary right now over Andhra and expected to cross shore in a couple of days. But whether it will pass over Tamil Nadu or not before crossing shore is not known. I've come here from Bangalore just for the match (Don't want to miss any Chennai match) with my end-semester exams a day after the match :D So hope the rain stays away.
Dude, I have taken two days off from my work so that I can watch the match... but right now, i am just watching the rain and the covers and 60 men running front and back.

shankar

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
Dude, I have taken two days off from my work so that I can watch the match... but right now, i am just watching the rain and the covers and 60 men running front and back.
There's an inspection at 1 pm right. Is there any chance of play today?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Play abandoned on Day 2 as well.

I wonder if provisions should be made in the future by the ICC for extending the duration of tests to extra days when play gets severely curtailed like this .

**As a Sri Lankan I know I should be happy with the curtailment ** :D :D

But Tests Cricket as a spectacle would become boring and lose its following if this continued to happen frequently.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Play abandoned on Day 2 as well.

I wonder if provisions should be made in the future by the ICC for extending the duration of tests to extra days when play gets severely curtailed like this .

**As a Sri Lankan I know I should be happy with the curtailment ** :D :D

But Tests Cricket as a spectacle would become boring and lose its following if this continued to happen frequently.
Jason, how good are Avishka and Tharanga ? Which known international player would you compare them with in their game and style?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
2 whole days washed away by the weather, must be very annoying for all the fans & whats up with the Chennai weather this year wasn't an ODI vs SA also washed out?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Jason, how good are Avishka and Tharanga ? Which known international player would you compare them with in their game and style?
Tharanga is an up and coming youngster, my knowledge of him is limited, but in the few ODIs he has played so far he has showed some promise. Realistically he has yet to fulfil his potential in International cricket. But I would compare him to Brad Hodge (for Australia) - has shown promise at Domestic cricket but has still not been fully tested at International Level and yet to prove himself in this arena.

Avishka is a Batsman with a lot of weaknesses in his batting - which explains why he has failed to go further at International Level despite having been on the fringe for several years and been given several opportunities at Test and ODI level. He should've been got rid of long ago , but among those picked and remaining (ie in a choice between Mubarak and Avishka- I would pick him) he is the better option. ie In a choice between two Duds he is the better Dud , if you follow what I mean. :D :D His fielding is another shocker. :D

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
A nice idea in theory, but the problem is the knock-on effect on tours.

It would have to be an option for all Tests, which would mean that tours then are elongated considerably (as you can't have back-to-back Tests in that case) and that would mean sides don't get sufficient series in under the ICC plan.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
A nice idea in theory, but the problem is the knock-on effect on tours.

It would have to be an option for all Tests, which would mean that tours then are elongated considerably (as you can't have back-to-back Tests in that case) and that would mean sides don't get sufficient series in under the ICC plan.
But in a series its highly unlikely that the extra day provision would be required for more than 1 test . A slight flexiblity in terms of extending play by 1 day would be unlikely to make a great difference. (Afterall now we have a minimum of 2-3 days after a test before the next tour game commences.- Extension by 1 day is unlikely to make a big difference.)

WRT back to back Tests - my personal opinion is that Back to back tests are a bad concept and should be done away with regardless. (They are extremely disadvantageous to the touring team in particular) .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
But in a series its highly unlikely that the extra day provision would be required for more than 1 test . A slight flexiblity in terms of extending play by 1 day would be unlikely to make a great difference. (Afterall now we have a minimum of 2-3 days after a test before the next tour game commences.- Extension by 1 day is unlikely to make a big difference.)
It does make a difference though, because you then have to allow an extra day between games, regardless of if this extra day would be used or not.

dinu23

International Debutant
Petition against India-Lanka Test

(following is a news paper article I found. the paper is dated 2005/12/2)

Chennai: A petition has been filed in a local court seeking an interim stay against the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) on holding the test match between India and Sri Lanka to be played in Chennai from December 2, 2005. The petition also sought stay on sale of tickets for the macth.​

Admitting the petition, Second Assistant City Civil court Judge I. Pandurangan, ordered notice to TNCA and posted the case for hearing tomorrow.​

In this petition, one Suresh Babu of suburban Gummidipoondi, contended that the October-DEcember period wqs the period of the Northeast monsoon over peninsular India.​

"It is pertinent to point out that the M.A. Chidambaram stadium, where India-Sri Lanka match is to take place, is located less than 500 metres from the Madras coast line," he said.​

The respondent, TNCA, knowing fully well about the pattern of rainfall in india, more particularly Tamil Nadu, has made "it a habit of deliberately hosting the matches in the mosoon season, with the intention to decieve the gullible public after collecting huge sums of money running into crores of rupees and without refunds of the same," he contended.

The petitioner contended that "the association has now proclaimed that it is going to conduct India-Sri Lanka test match from December 2 to 6, 2005 despite the warning by the Meteorological Department that there is a low pressure formed over the Bay of Bengal."​

This sort of practice of "attempting to deliberately" hold the matches "knowing fully well that the match can't be played is against the objects of Tamil Nadu Society Registration Act," he contended. - Sifynews

interesting article. so does this mean u won't get a refund if the match is to be cancelled, Honestbharani?