• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But what if he actually had a fever? Chappell keeps mentioning him as one of the future stars for India, so I don't think it was anything intentional. Anyways, it is not like the other guys aren't performing. I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the team management and the selectors here.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
But what if he actually had a fever? Chappell keeps mentioning him as one of the future stars for India, so I don't think it was anything intentional. Anyways, it is not like the other guys aren't performing. I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the team management and the selectors here.
He had a fever?I must have missed that if it was mentioned by someone today...oh well,doesn't matter really now we'll see what the team mangement picks for SA...

My guess is GG comes in place of Kartik,rest being the same as todays match

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great effort by India. First from the bowlers with RP Singh and Pathan performing well, and then the batting. Dhoni brilliant again.

Squad is exactly the same, no changes made. Interesting to see Kartik still in there. His inconsistency worries me at times.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
superb series win by india! hope this streak continues into the next series and into the tests as well but we will have to wait and see if chappell has significantly changed the mindset of the most inconsistent team in the world....in this series we have seen that they have been good front-runners and maintained the momentum throughout the series exceptionally well, i would like to see how they react to adverse situations like being down early in the series or something given that

there are so many inexperienced youngsters in the team and
the seniors haven't exactly shown themselves to be great at coming out of them.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually Gambhir is an opener and to accomodate him One of the opener's has to be dropped and looking @ who the other two openers are it was logical(although IMO Sehwag could definately bat 1 down) that Gambhir be dropped. This 'Fever' story is BS as Dravid himself clearly told that Gambhir has been left out because of the rotation policy :-

"Captain Rahul Dravid, after announcing that the indisposed Gautam Gambhir and JP Yadav have been left out of the 13 for Saturday's match in keeping with the team's rotation policy,"

Yuvraj has been unfairly kept in the team, not at the expense of Gambhir though but @ the expense of RAO who did nothing wrong to be left out just after 3 ODIs where he didn't even get a chance to bat in one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't disagree with any of that Sanz. The only reason I said that Yuvraj may as well play the 7th ODI is that he had been kept in that long, and finally scored well in the 7th ODI, that it would be best to have him bat in the 7th to and see if he did score. In that sense, 1 substantial score out of 6 innings (He didnt have to bat in the 2nd ODI) wouldn't be good enough to solidify his place in the side. But if Yuvraj was kept out and Gambhir or Rao or Yadav in the team, I wouldn't be complaining that's for sure.

Anyway positives definitely outweight the negatives for this tour. 6-1 first of all! I mean who would have picked that? Secondly is the rise of Dhoni and Pathan as a competent batsman who can pinch hit when required. Agarkar has been in form all series with the ball, as has Dravid with the bat. The return of Sachin is always great and Dravid's captaincy has worked well. I think the best positive (it also can become a negative) is the abundance of talent at our disposal in the ODI line-up right now. As Nikhil said early, player's spots are up for grabs and there is healthy competition. Raina, Rao, Gambhir and Yadav can all make the team and send someone packing whether it be Yuvraj, Kaif or even Sehwag. The same goes with the bowlers, as RP Singh has bowled well and Srees Santh, whilst not impressing will still have opportunities and his selection whilst the series was STILL ALIVE shows the selectors have faith in his ability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanz said:
Actually Gambhir is an opener and to accomodate him One of the opener's has to be dropped and looking @ who the other two openers are it was logical(although IMO Sehwag could definately bat 1 down) that Gambhir be dropped. This 'Fever' story is BS as Dravid himself clearly told that Gambhir has been left out because of the rotation policy :-

"Captain Rahul Dravid, after announcing that the indisposed Gautam Gambhir and JP Yadav have been left out of the 13 for Saturday's match in keeping with the team's rotation policy,"

Yuvraj has been unfairly kept in the team, not at the expense of Gambhir though but @ the expense of RAO who did nothing wrong to be left out just after 3 ODIs where he didn't even get a chance to bat in one.
I got the bit about fever from an article in cricinfo.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
He isnt a great umpire but I wouldnt read anything more into it. His bad umpiring could affect anyone and anyside. :)

By the way Jason, Fernando has to be the stupidest and most indisciplined bowler in the world.

Not just for bowling the no balls for which i would not just pull him up (Atapattu doesnt even raise an eyebrow) but drop him, but he seems to think he is Tyson (Typhoon , not Iron Mike).

Tendulkar got hit on his hand and again loked awkward against a shrp riser but Fernando and Zoysa simply made a farce of Sri Lankan bowling by keeping on bowling short. Pathan kept hammering them on both sides of the wiclet but they refused to learn and banged in shorter.

The shorter they pitched the further he hit them. But Fernando has to be the biggest idiot with a new ball in the world. They pitched up rarely but even then it got them the wickets of Pathan and Tendulkar. But the damage was done. His reaction to being hit was so childish and made him look so out of place in senior cricket. He seemed to want to teach the batsman a lesson for "ill treating" his bowling and made a fool of himself and took away whatever chance Sri Lanka had of making a match of it.
Fernando is generally a wicket taker , but in trying to achieve this he normally gets carted for a fair few runs usually in ODIs . He is usually more successful in bouncy pitches and struggles on flat tracks , and obviously in Indian pitches he struggles further .

You could say that he is a bit of a 1 trick pony for continuing to bowl short. It may be because of a general misconception he may have had that Indian (and subcontinental) batsmen in general are suspect against short pitched bowling !!

The only other reason I could think of (which I hope is not correct) - that SL bowlers finding the Indian batsmen in such great form and struggling to get wickets have hatched a plan to try and hurt Sachin and others as the only way of removing them from the Middle !! This would be very unlikely and unsportsmanly behaviour , IMO.

Overall the SL bowlers bar Murali have struggled in India over 7 ODIs and I am not sure whether their confidance will be any better when they come back around for the Test series.

They are heading for another slaughter by the Indian batsman when the Test series comes around. :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
The only other reason I could think of (which I hope is not correct) - that SL bowlers finding the Indian batsmen in such great form and struggling to get wickets have hatched a plan to try and hurt Sachin and others as the only way of removing them from the Middle !! This would be very unlikely and unsportsmanly behaviour , IMO.
Well thats ot unlikely at all. In fact twice the camera caught jayawardene signalling to Fernando pointing towards his finger to say that bowl to hit his finger. This was when sachin was batting though. Fernando did follow that advise.

I am not worried about it being unsportsman like though. A player of Sachin's caliber (anyone playing as a batsman for that matter) ought to handle it and it is legitimate) but I was astonished that he kept trying it with Pathan who was clearly loving it and no attempt by the captain to advise him to try something different.

When they did finally pitch up and also get wickets it didnt happen because the skipper intervened. Thats what took me by surprise. The bowlers seemed bent on committing suicide and the skipper was not doing anything about it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I got the bit about fever from an article in cricinfo.
I know that, even I read that on Cricinfo, but TBF off late cricinfo has been shamelessly biased in its reporting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, well, but like I said earlier, I am still inclined to give the team management the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they felt Yuvraj and Sehwag, not being in all that great a touch, needed as many innings as they could get to get in tune for the RSA series. I suppose Sehwag and Sachin are still first choice openers and they are looking at Gambhir as a strong reserve player, the sort that Australia seem to have.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hit4Six said:
a news site? biased? NEVER!!
Well, it has a lot of opinion pieces as well. Also a news site can be biased too, read Telegraph India and how it praises Ganguly & Co.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
ganguly gets two ducks in the duleep trophy final....hopefully that will delay his return to the international side a little more....and allow dravid more time to entrench himself as captain....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Atapattu's tenure as Captain should end with this Indian series IMO. (after the Tests)

It may be better for SL to get a new Captain in, (following India's lead) before the next World Cup comes around .

He has generally been a weak Captain and his fellow players and other members of the Team fail to gain any inspiration or confidance under his weak leadership.

It may be better to get Mahela or Sangakkara a trial run in ODIs in NZ and Australia this summer.

A quiet chat by the SL cricket management with Dav Whatmore regarding his availability for next year may not be a bad thing either in planning ahead for next year .