• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think his wicket will slow down the run rate , since the replacing batter is the all conquering MS Dhoni !! :D

Sudeep

International Captain
JASON said:
I don't think his wicket will slow down the run rate , since the replacing batter is the all conquering MS Dhoni !! :D
Sachin gone too. Dhoni might have to play unconventionally now.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar is out. Big over from Zoysa- getting Sachin and Pathan .

But India should cruise from here - current run rate 7.67, asking rate 3.71.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's good to see Dhoni and Irfan do the smash-up job for the team, which was lacking for so long. Dhoni, though, is a lot more than just a hitter, and he's got more than a few cheeky shots, but he's also quite capable of adapting to situations. Irfan, on the other hand, sticks to some very basic but technically correct shots, but is extremely risky, and he needs to convert these starts into bigger scores. Merely a strike rate of 150 isn't enough, though it's amassive advantage. But aven a strike rate a shade over 100 with a few big scores will do. The absence of JP Yadav, however, is baffling.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Even Zoysa's supposed to be a very good hitter, with a physique and (maybe) technique like that of Chris Gayle. We've seen him win a match for his team against the Aussies last year. Why don't the Lankans use him that way?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Any comments on Hariharan's umpiring overall ?

I haven't watched the series , but others who have , seem to raise a few issues about his tendency pick on some bowlers .

Has any one watching the games noticed this ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Any comments on Hariharan's umpiring overall ?

I haven't watched the series , but others who have , seem to raise a few issues about his tendency pick on some bowlers .

Has any one watching the games noticed this ?
He isnt a great umpire but I wouldnt read anything more into it. His bad umpiring could affect anyone and anyside. :)

By the way Jason, Fernando has to be the stupidest and most indisciplined bowler in the world.

Not just for bowling the no balls for which i would not just pull him up (Atapattu doesnt even raise an eyebrow) but drop him, but he seems to think he is Tyson (Typhoon , not Iron Mike).

Tendulkar got hit on his hand and again loked awkward against a shrp riser but Fernando and Zoysa simply made a farce of Sri Lankan bowling by keeping on bowling short. Pathan kept hammering them on both sides of the wiclet but they refused to learn and banged in shorter.

The shorter they pitched the further he hit them. But Fernando has to be the biggest idiot with a new ball in the world. They pitched up rarely but even then it got them the wickets of Pathan and Tendulkar. But the damage was done. His reaction to being hit was so childish and made him look so out of place in senior cricket. He seemed to want to teach the batsman a lesson for "ill treating" his bowling and made a fool of himself and took away whatever chance Sri Lanka had of making a match of it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
By the way Jason, Fernando has to be the stupidest and most indisciplined bowler in the world.

Not just for bowling the no balls for which i would not just pull him up (Atapattu doesnt even raise an eyebrow) but drop him, but he seems to think he is Tyson (Typhoon , not Iron Mike).
If he was Mike Tyson, he'd probably find AA's ears to be more that a mouthful - unlike those of Holyfield

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
... and the absence of Gambhir is not ???
Its not that baffling because maybe they'll replace a bowler (probably poor Murali Kartik) with Gambhir in the first game against SA...its not that they dropped GG...as they wanted to play 5 bowlers in this game they had to lose a batsman(might have had a coin toss between some batsmen to decide who sits out :D )

As Greg Chappell said its not a problem anymore whom to select,but whom to leave out...and thats a really good problem to have.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think both Yuvi and Veeru needed another game and another hit. So they couldn't go out and in any case, I think everyone will get a lot of opportunities, for that seems to be one thing that Greg Chappell has been insisting on.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nikhil1772 said:
Its not that baffling because maybe they'll replace a bowler (probably poor Murali Kartik) with Gambhir in the first game against SA...its not that they dropped GG...as they wanted to play 5 bowlers in this game they had to lose a batsman(might have had a coin toss between some batsmen to decide who sits out :D )

As Greg Chappell said its not a problem anymore whom to select,but whom to leave out...and thats a really good problem to have.
I understand that Nikhil, but we have so much of behind the scenes stuff in India that one is really worried as to what is happening. Hopefully there is nothing to it but if the team management was advised to rest Gambhir then it is a Gambhir( Hindi for serious) matter.

But I think I may be worrying un-necessarily.

But tell me why couldnt Yuvraj have been rested. He played six games (one too many according to some) finally got the big score to justify his place, he could have been rested for this one game.

I would really like to know on what basis the player to be rested is picked ? Gambhir played only two games, hasn't been a member of the team so would need a bit to feel he belonged, and he did well.

Why him ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I think both Yuvi and Veeru needed another game and another hit. So they couldn't go out and in any case, I think everyone will get a lot of opportunities, for that seems to be one thing that Greg Chappell has been insisting on.
Oh I am sure they will but at the moment it is a place in the team to play South Africa which is to be announced today I think.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
I understand that Nikhil, but we have so much of behind the scenes stuff in India that one is really worried as to what is happening. Hopefully there is nothing to it but if the team management was advised to rest Gambhir then it is a Gambhir( Hindi for serious) matter.

But I think I may be worrying un-necessarily.

But tell me why couldnt Yuvraj have been rested. He played six games (one too many according to some) finally got the big score to justify his place, he could have been rested for this one game.

I would really like to know on what basis the player to be rested is picked ? Gambhir played only two games, hasn't been a member of the team so would need a bit to feel he belonged, and he did well.

Why him ?
Yes actually it made sense to rest Yuvraj this match...hope there's nothing more to it then just a below-par decision.