• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2014

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sri Lanka have an even chance in this series. Although operating at a lesser pace their bowlers can move it about and against a very uncertain English team could well restrict them to scores of under 250. And then it's up to the main men like Sanga etc to build big innings..although if Anderson, Broad and others are on top of their game England may win a very close and low scoring series.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I think having Eranga instead if Thisara is a good move. He, Lakmal and Prasad all three has to be groomed for WC 2015. Thisara Perera is going to get a hammering on Aussie pitches which will lack sideways movement. Eranga cand moce it on any surface, Lakmal can swing it and Prasad is pacy enough to trouble batsman. We need two genuine fast bowlers in Australia. Malinga is not a classical hit the pitch bowler, and Kulasekara bowls only line and length. One of above three will nicely fir in to the team as the opening bowler allowing Malinga to be used as an impact bowler. Mathews mostly will bowl stop gap overs with Dilshan.
i agree with you in part but i wouldnt write off Thisara completely- yes i agree the others will suit Aus wickets well, but thisara is a "hit the deck" bowler and since their wickets should be hard, he will also have a role to play..

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Thisara's almost makes the team as a batsman really, even though he doesn't usually make a lot of runs or bat for a long time or anything, the impact he can have with the bat just about warrants a place in the team. And yeah, he hits the deck hard, even on some of the harder pitches in Bangladesh I noticed he managed to get some extra bounce at decent pace, given we don't really have anyone else who hits the deck at pace I'd stick by Thisara. Also, I'd have thought that Prasad's last tour to Australia provided rather substantial evidence that he wasn't pacy enough to trouble the Australian batsmen.

Last time a team came to Australia with three lumbering fast quicks the result wasn't pretty, why not simply try to play to our strengths which have worked in our last two tours to Australia? And given this is our final proper dress rehearsal for the WC we should be employing the same plans here in England

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Dhamika Prasad can swing the ball though and i think that is why he has been included whereas pradeep is just pace- personally, i think the latter needs to learn more control as he can be wayward..i agree that we have to play to OUR strengths rather than trying to compete on Englands terms..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhamika Prasad can swing the ball though
Can he? From what I've seen I'd concluded he was mainly a seamer, if we wanted swing bowlers I'd have put Kula, Malinga, Lakmal and Eranga before him in terms of swing. Pradeep has more than just pace, he can move it both ways off the seam quite proficiently, however his accuracy and consistency is certainly a big issue for him

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can somebody tell me where Graham Onions stands on the pecking list right now? I was of the opinion he would be in the first XI, especially while playing in England. Am I wrong?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Based on his Sky performance yesterday, he's not playing the Tests. Bowled mostly crap, by the sounds of things.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that's what happens. You leave the guy out when he killed it last season. How the **** does that not demotivate a player. Won't be surprised if he doesn't perform well this season. Just took 4 wickets in the first innings vs Somerset though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm absolutely pumped for today's game. My irrationally supported team versus yours, Maximas. It's on.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm actually super keen too, with all the rested players and the tricky conditions it should actually be a good game - where do I go to watch it again? the Ireland official youtube channel or something wasn't it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm actually super keen too, with all the rested players and the tricky conditions it should actually be a good game - where do I go to watch it again? the Ireland official youtube channel or something wasn't it?
Yeah I'll post up a link for you when the coverage starts.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
why does it keep switching to this side-on view just before every ball? The long-on camera is much better

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Murtagh is bowling very nicely. Haven't seen a whole lot of him previously; really strong, uncomplicated action through the crease.

Sorensen looks to be struggling with his line though - getting picked off too easily in the early overs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
why does it keep switching to this side-on view just before every ball? The long-on camera is much better
I don't mind it occasionally, as something different. Shows the pace of the game a bit better IMO.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
When they did it every ball and you couldn't really see what the ball was doing it was frustrating, it is good occasionally though.

Tharanga looking typically insecure outside off, will be interested to see when the coms stop calling him 'Perera' though, Thirimanne looks solid, good signs

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Murtagh is bowling very nicely. Haven't seen a whole lot of him previously; really strong, uncomplicated action through the crease.
Really hope he bowls as many overs up front as his body will allow. Gets absolutely pasted at the death.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do the Lankans have a new kit on or is it just the sweaters? Looks pretty gun.