• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Said it before, but I don't think someone who can't even get a game regularly in Shield cricket should be playing ODIs as a top order batsman. Bowling's a bit different because of what the respective pitches are like, but for mine Finch's failures as a Shield cricketer so far foretold him failing against decent international bowling in ODIs. I don't think everyone quite realises exactly how flat the Ryobi Cup wickets have been this season either.
I was ok with Warner debuting when he did itbt.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was ok with Warner debuting when he did itbt.
Well I wasn't really, but even so, Warner was a bit different because he just couldn't get a crack in the Shield at all. Finch has played a stack of games now and been a failure to the point of not playing unless they have injuries. Once Warner actually got a proper crack in the Shield side he never looked back; it's likely IMO that if Warner was playing Shield cricket around the time of his ODI debut he would've been going pretty well.

I think Finch will probably eventually turn out to decent Shield batsman, but I find it pretty unlikely that he'll be a good ODI batsman first. I've always been an advocate of treating the forms of the game separately, but I struggle to believe they are so different as to have a player failing in Shield cricket regularly to the point of being dropped at the same time as he's forcing his way into the ODI side as a quality performer. Especially if he's not playing for NSW. :ph34r:

Last edited:

benchmark00

If Callum Ferguson was playing for another state there'd be a high chance he'd be dropped from the FC game, but there's no doubting his one day credentials. I know he's not as bad at FC cricket as Finch but it's another example.

Personally I had no problem with Finch being selected because his form warranted, no matter how flat the pitches in Ryobi cup are. He's been the in form player and deserved a shot at it.

Spikey

given it came with the first two opening choices out of the team, i didn't mind it that much (non Richardson), but that he failed wasn't a surprise

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I wasn't really, but even so, Warner was a bit different because he just couldn't get a crack in the Shield at all. Finch has played a stack of games now and been a failure to the point of not playing unless they have injuries. Once Warner actually got a proper crack in the Shield side he never looked back; it's likely IMO that if Warner was playing Shield cricket around the time of his ODI debut he would've been going pretty well.

I think Finch will probably eventually turn out to decent Shield batsman, but I find it pretty unlikely that he'll be a good ODI batsman first. I've always been an advocate of treating the forms of the game separately, but I struggle to believe they are so different as to have a player failing in Shield cricket regularly to the point of being dropped at the same time as he's forcing his way into the ODI side as a quality performer. Especially if he's not playing for NSW. :ph34r:
My biggest problem with Finch is/was that he has technical deficiencies around off stump that have obviously been exploited at Shield level and it was a big stretch to think that it wasnt going to happen at ODI level

Much bigger punt than Warner IMO

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can't believe Cutting makes way for a nuffie like Maxwell.
Well he isn't really. He made way for Johnson and/or Starc.

I wonder if the success/failure of Big Bash teams has impacted on Australian selection? Like would Cutting had stayed in te squad for the GABBA match if the Heat were knocked out? Is Henriques playing due to sixers failure? I guess Smith would have stayed in the squad if that was the case.

benchmark00

I'm happy that Cutting didn't disgrace himself like he could have and then ruined his chances for a test call up in the future. Definitely not suited to the one day game,

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goodness...you don't spend much time in Cricket chat and you find some massive Cutting hate.

Certainly bowling the best he has in all his career, and given the lolly bag way like they are handing out caps at the moment, it puzzling to think he's only played one international game this season.

howardj

International Coach
With the player management/resting policy, I'd like to know whether it's just a case of six of one, and a half dozen of the other? Harris gets rested for the last Test in the Carribean, but following that he's been out of action for 6-9 months so far anyway. Watson gets pulled from the Champions League in India, and then gets injured in his first over back for NSW at AB Field. Hilf gets rested in Perth, and gets injured the next Test in Hobart. Starc missed a Test that he *could* have played in Melbourne, then broke down (minor calf injury) a couple of weeks later.

If bowlers are still missing matches after being rested, would it really make much difference to have them play until they get injured? At least then there would be some continuity for the players, and they'd know the pecking order. Maybe even the continuity and unbroken sequence of matches may result in less injuries?

Spikey

The rotation policy for the likes of Starc and Pattinson is designed to basically avoid serious stress injures in the back and leg, as opposed to soft tissue injures that can hardly be avoided. they're making no promises that rotation means injury free forever, but simply avoiding serious injury that can be prevented. so no

howardj

International Coach
To me, Starc, Pattinson and Cummins are the ones that need to be managed, as they are both young and haven't done a lot of bowling in their careers

The others however, should just play

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
To me, Starc, Pattinson and Cummins are the ones that need to be managed, as they are both young and haven't done a lot of bowling in their careers

The others however, should just play
And if you look at who they're rotating, that's what they've done for the most part. Only Starc and Pattinson have missed matches they were 100% for, as far as I'm aware.

When they rested Ryan Harris he'd been playing through a virus and hadn't recovered in time to last through the next Test.

When they rested Peter Siddle he had a tight hamstring and didn't want to risk going a bowler down in Perth.

When they rested Hilfenhaus he had a minor knee complaint, and figured it wasn't worth the risk of him breaking down (plus it was a nice excuse to get him out of the side).

In the past they may have played through the niggles, but with the depth of fast bowling options we've got, the selectors probably thought little was lost by leaving them out when they weren't 100%. Plus it gives guys like Jackson Bird experience for when someone does break down for a longer period.

Last edited:

benchmark00

And if you look at who they're rotating, that's what they've done for the most part. Only Starc and Pattinson have missed matches they were 100% for, as far as I'm aware.

When they rested Ryan Harris he'd been playing through a virus and hadn't recovered in time to last through the next Test.

When they rested Peter Siddle he had a tight hamstring and didn't want to risk going a bowler down in Perth.

When they rested Hilfenhaus he had a minor knee complaint, and figured it wasn't worth the risk of him breaking down (plus it was a nice excuse to get him out of the side).

In the past they may have played through the niggles, but with the depth of fast bowling options we've got, the selectors probably thought little was lost by leaving them out when they weren't 100%. Plus it gives guys like Jackson Bird experience for when someone does break down for a longer period.
Exactly, no one above the age of 25 is being rested from test matches. You're yelling at clouds.