• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Trott and Broad did actually bat bloody well tbf. There were no dropped chances or anything like that.
Yeah, I've always thought they were the collateral damage. Both played out of their skins, but it's hard to look at the test except through the prism of what we now know.

Anyway, reasonably content with 5 years for Amir, less so for Asif and Butt.

Wonder what the sentences might've been had they done the decent thing and copped to the charges?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
YouTube - Mohammad Amir's mother reacts to ICC decision

Amir's mother reacting to the ICC's verdict

'I think that this is very distressing news for Pakistanis that such a great player should get this harsh a punishment. All the people of Pakistan should object to this verdict.'
A faintly sickening appeal. One would hope all real Pakistan circket fans would be happy this cancer in the heart of their team has been (at least partly) excised.

Patriotism the last refuge of the scoundrel and all that.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
A faintly sickening appeal. One would hope all real Pakistan circket fans would be happy this cancer in the heart of their team has been (at least partly) excised.

You are sickened by a mum acting and behaving like a mum, okay.

Xuhaib

International Coach
5 years is just imo.It basically rules out Asif and Butt for life gives Amir an outside chance however he would need a great deal of discipline and luck.

Xuhaib

International Coach

the initial reaction from what I gather is most feel they got what they deserved though as expected some retards are playing the conspiracy by ICC and India angle.

Xuhaib

International Coach
would be hilarious if Asif comes back after 5 years has another one year where takes loads of wickets and then retire or get banned again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You are sickened by a mum acting and behaving like a mum, okay.
I would hope it was obvious that I meant nothing of the kind.

Her appeal to "the people of Pakistan" wasn't the action of a caring mother, rather a near-paranoid clarion cry to her countrymen that Amir has been unfairly treated because of his nationality.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
would be hilarious if Asif comes back after 5 years has another one year where takes loads of wickets and then retire or get banned again.
No, it really wouldn't. It'd be absolutely disgusting if Asif ever steps on a cricket pitch again.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
I would hope it was obvious that I meant nothing of the kind.

Her appeal to "the people of Pakistan" wasn't the action of a caring mother, rather a near-paranoid clarion cry to her countrymen that Amir has been unfairly treated because of his nationality.
No, it was far from obvious. I don't know how you can infer such malice on her behalf, she's basically appealing for help, that is all. seems like it's mostly in your own imagination.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No, it was far from obvious. I don't know how you can infer such malice on her behalf, she's basically appealing for help, that is all. seems like it's mostly in your own imagination.
Given what she said, it's fairly easy to infer exactly that quite frankly. I don't think you'd find a great many people who'd arrive at a drastically different conclusion either.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whatevs then, mate.

&, FYI, as the author of the post I wasn't inferring anything. That would be what anyone reading it would do.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
How educated do you think his mother is. Pakistan is a country where the literacy rate is around 50%. On top of this most women are expected to be housewives. Also the family comes from a very poor village. She was only pleading her fellow countrymen for support, like any mother would do (I'am sure you heard about Amanda Knox and her family who have the support of a lot of Americans).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
How educated do you think his mother is. Pakistan is a country where the literacy rate is around 50%. On top of this most women are expected to be housewives. Also the family comes from a very poor village. She was only pleading her fellow countrymen for support, like any mother would do (I'am sure you heard about Amanda Knox and her family who have the support of a lot of Americans).
Her education or literacy rate is surely irrelevant here, similar things can be said of the Knox case as well quite honestly. Simply because a lot of people advocate the innocence of another doesn't mean their guilt should somehow be alleviated, especially when it's been well established by those who have an in depth knowledge of the alleged offence. Regardless of her background and whatever else, it's hard to construe these sorts of things as anything other than an irrational objection.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
She has basically said that the people of pakistan should be upset with this verdict. What is the problem with that, I don't see it. There is no room to call her paranoid, or to say that she is alluding to a conspiracy. I don't see it, this is an over reaction.

This is a side issue anyway, but let's not go over the top, or get overly slanderous. After all, a mother has just seen her teenage sons promising career go down the pan, is it so hard to appreciate that viewpoint. Or should she be nodding her head saying he deserved it, just because you are.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Two wrongs do make a right, yes.

I can't believe this is even worthy of debate.

Her circumstances might explain her choice of words, but they don't mean she was right.