• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
The more I read into interviews with current England players the more I think Stokes' captaincy is very good man management and not just the on the field stuff

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stating the obvious but England get a couple of decent openers, get Archer and co returning with the ball to nip at the heels of the existing attack & their prospects look excellent for the next 2-3 years.

Meanwhile Jack Leech is just good enough to hold his place on anything other than an absolute green seamer.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Archer probably should just concentrate on being fit for t20 and just earn a very good living from that. I wouldn't blame him. Ironic that there was a big deal to qualify him for England when he'd have made his franchise career from Barbados anyway, probably.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://instagr.am/p/Ch12hAAjocf/
Yeah, I'm not holding my breathe for us to get two decent openers, as I say I'd take Burns and Sibley as they're mediocre and sometimes waste a few overs up before the real batting starts.

Still remember that argument some put forward that Cook who'd been averaging mid-30s for a bit, being dropped retired, would free up the other openers to come out f his shadow. Not really worked as it. Cook would still be easily our best opener, though I guess his average would be creeping ever lower.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I do think we should put Burns back in. I know it’s slim pickings but for me he’s the standout of a very mediocre group over the last 4-5 years.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think we should put Burns back in. I know it’s slim pickings but for me he’s the standout of a very mediocre group over the last 4-5 years.
I prefer sibley just on the grounds that when he got binned he went back to county, fixed his technique a bit, got fit and started making runs again as opposed to burns who swapped back to his ungainly technique halfway through this county season to start making runs again because he couldn't perform without it. In retrospective its worth a horses ass, but sibley's attitude rings alot better with me.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
I'll be surprised if Archer plays another Test match. Wood and Stone both proper fast bowlers but it'll be hard to keep them on the park. Potts did well against NZ but was poor in the first SA Test. There are some decent pace bowlers coming through though -- Gus Atkinson and Tom Lawes at Surrey, Sam Conners at Derbyshire, Brad Currie at Sussex, Tom Helm at Middlesex, etc. JOverton has looked a different and much better bowler this season and Mahmood is quality too.

As for the openers, that's a tough one. Tom Haines has had a ton of runs but all in Div 2.

Flem274*

123/5
Outside of Australia I think England have options for everywhere tbh.

Potts does look pretty vanilla but he deserves an opportunity. Doesn't make my first choice trio anywhere though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England unchanged squad:

Yeah, not unexpected. There had been some discussion about whether England would bring a second spinner into the squad, but I've no idea who that might be. And the Oval's reputation as a spinner's paradise hasn't held for a few years now. As for the openers, for all the talk of Crawley, Lees is probably under as much pressure to retain his place. His summer has quietly deteriorated after a couple of decent innings earlier in the season.

Heboric

International Debutant
Yeah, not unexpected. There had been some discussion about whether England would bring a second spinner into the squad, but I've no idea who that might be. And the Oval's reputation as a spinner's paradise hasn't held for a few years now. As for the openers, for all the talk of Crawley, Lees is probably under as much pressure to retain his place. His summer has quietly deteriorated after a couple of decent innings earlier in the season.
oh geez dont mention a second spinner...

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Second spinner would probably be Bess. Cant see a situation where bringing in a mediocre spinner for say, Broad, would make sense.