• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa v West Indies

Swervy

International Captain
right..time for WI to really push on..I think they should bat another 20 overs and look towards say 570..and give themselves a cahnce at getting through SA

Legglancer

State Regular
Swervy said:
right..time for WI to really push on..I think they should bat another 20 overs and look towards say 570..and give themselves a cahnce at getting through SA
IMO if the wicket is not beginning to take spin I would bat as long as possible or untill the track gets a little more bowler friendly.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Current partnership: 33 runs, 15.2 overs, RR: 2.15

Oh dear, it's almost like having Lara going for 400 and Kallis being told to put his foot down batting together.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
They've declared, Shiv seems a positive captain, refusing the light yesterday and now a good positive declaration. Nice stuff

Chubb

International Regular
SA scored 2 off 2 and then took the light.
Maybe Chanderpaul should have batted on- go for 400??????????

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
when was the last time two batsmen scored double tons in a single inning of a test match ?

Scaly piscine

WI definitely declared too early, even if there wasn't any fading light. They should have just thrown bat at ball til they got 650-700 or were bowled out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

geeeeez, chanderpaul loves to bat on his home ground, i've got a top nickname for hame ``The Bourda Bully``, but looking at the test match i think SA can make a good reply to the windies total, the windies only have 3 front line bowlers, so SA should back themselves

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't see South Africa winning this match, so I see no problem with the declaration. Even if SA matches the first innings total, they still have to bat last on a pitch that generally tends to uneven bounce, as a few deliveries even today showed.

Some might saw a larger total would have given the West Indies a better chance at victory, but Lara was criticized for batting for half a day longer with a theoretically stronger bowling attack at his disposal last year. The West Indies bowlers need time to potentially take 10 wickets, let alone 20.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I agree with ya. I think Holding was to harsh in his comments after SA went off after they took the light. 16 overs were left for SA when Chanderpaul declared so he was just trying to get a couple quick wickets.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
For the some reason I dont really like SA, so Im supporting the Windies all the way here, big players or not. Speaking of big players, where is Dave Mohammed? :cool:

Very happy with the way this match is going, great job by the more experienced campaigners, and a few youngin`s. A lot of people seem to be watching this match, is it on Cable television around the world. I doubt it would be on Fox here in Aussie.

And speaking of Aussie... that post before was direct off Cricinfo. Poor.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
...and Ryan Hinds rules! :D I honestly rate him, for both his batting and bowling.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I can't see South Africa winning this match, so I see no problem with the declaration. Even if SA matches the first innings total, they still have to bat last on a pitch that generally tends to uneven bounce, as a few deliveries even today showed.

Some might saw a larger total would have given the West Indies a better chance at victory, but Lara was criticized for batting for half a day longer with a theoretically stronger bowling attack at his disposal last year. The West Indies bowlers need time to potentially take 10 wickets, let alone 20.
I would have thought it was better for WI to bat out the final 16 overs and taken the score to 600, leaving RSA needing a formidable 400 to save the follow on. Chanderpaul must have had some idea that the light was bad, and given that 28 overs have already been lost, I don't think WI will be able to make up the overs.

cameeel

International Captain
Could be headed for a draw if the windies cant bowl SA out in less than a day and a half after a 2 day innings

Scaly piscine

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

If SA matches the first total WI have every opportunity to throw the game away with a 150 type score, there'd be very little time for SA to get bowled out again a 2nd time if WI bat OK in their 2nd innings and declare - so this is yet another scenario where declaring later on is better. Basically if SA are bowled out quickly twice, WI win whenever they declare, if SA get 350-400 then the later declaration is better because SA still follow-on and as said before if SA get 500-600 then the later declaration is still better. The only scenarios where declaring early as they did is better is if SA basically just block and don't look to score runs (which won't happen because they've now got a target to look at, whereas if WI had batted on the target would have been far more formidable and might have forced SA to bat more negatively which would be a plus for WI) or if there's a lot of rain (which means if SA get the follow-on it's a draw, so the batting on might still be better).