• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** South Africa v India in Ireland

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ireland should have been the part of the series instead of just playing warm-up games with two cricket giants. Wonder if anyone or both teams were scared of losing against Ireland and eventually being kicked out of the final.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ireland should have been the part of the series instead of just playing warm-up games with two cricket giants. Wonder if anyone or both teams were scared of losing against Ireland and eventually being kicked out of the final.
I doubt that either team are scared of Ireland, but they would prefer not to play a series against them due to the lack of money coming in as a result. South Africa vs India is a far more profitable series for both boards than South Africa vs Ireland or India vs Ireland.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I doubt that either team are scared of Ireland, but they would prefer not to play a series against them due to the lack of money coming in as a result. South Africa vs India is a far more profitable series for both boards than South Africa vs Ireland or India vs Ireland.
yep...agreed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ideally, I would like to see India field this side.

Openers:

We have 4 of them, I think. Ganguly, Gambhir, Sehwag and Uthappa. Two right handed dashers and two left handers. I guess 2 of these 3 should always go on tours and I guess 2 of them can open while the other sits out.

Middle order:

Ideally, I would liek to have Sachin at 3. He is, IMHO, the greatest ODI batsman ever and even though he may not be at his best now, he is still very very good and also, he has opened for such a long time. He can consolidate a good start or he can repair a bad one while maintaining a decent run rate at the same time. I think he would be the ideal #3 for India, if he would accept that position as a challenge and take it up. Yuvraj should be our #4 for he has a lot of talent and while he may have his weaknesses in the longer format, he happens to be our brightest prospect as far as ODIs are concerned. Dravid at 5 because over the past few years he has become a very good finisher. Dhoni and Kaarthik/some all rounder can take the next two spots.

Bowlers:

3 medium pacers and a spinner. Ideally, the spinner would be Powar who actually seems to be a better wicket taking option than even Bhajji at this point, a fact that reflects how much Bhajji has regressed more than Powar has progressed, I think.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They could have at least each played Ireland once while they were there, though. It seems like a wasted opportunity to get two quality teams actually going to Ireland, and then not giving Ireland the chance of a home ODI or two. Although, and forgive me for not knowing the intricacies, but are Ireland playing in the FP trophy at the time, or will it have finished by then? I haven't followed the English domestic season schedule as closely as I'd have liked this season, really.

Perm

They could have at least each played Ireland once while they were there, though. It seems like a wasted opportunity to get two quality teams actually going to Ireland, and then not giving Ireland the chance of a home ODI or two. Although, and forgive me for not knowing the intricacies, but are Ireland playing in the FP trophy at the time, or will it have finished by then? I haven't followed the English domestic season schedule as closely as I'd have liked this season, really.
Don't worry, I think it's a damn shame that they aren't playing a couple of games against Ireland but I was just stating that fear more than likely wasn't a factor in deciding whether or not South Africa or India wanted to play Ireland.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Dont the Indian players need rest? How many matches they play match after match.....BCCI eyes are closed with madness on money....

Perm

Dont the Indian players need rest? How many matches they play match after match.....BCCI eyes are closed with madness on money....
India have got 5 ODI's on this tour, three against South Africa and one each against Ireland and Pakistan. Just over two weeks later they are back for the Test series against England. There is no need for them to be playing these matches in Ireland, other than for Ireland and the development of the game in a small country. I am sure they care very little for the second option.

pasag

RTDAS
If they rotate properly it wont be a massive issue, but then again, you have India's first match of the Twenty20 World Cup in SA less than a week after the seventh ODI in England. That's crazy. Don't know how many players will overlap there though.

Perm

If they rotate properly it wont be a massive issue, but then again, you have India's first match of the Twenty20 World Cup in SA less than a week after the seventh ODI in England. That's crazy. Don't know how many players will overlap there though.
I don't think they will be fielding a very strong team against Ireland, probably give some of those fringe players a crack to stake their claim. So that leaves four matches where they should put out their best team, but I still think they'll use them to expieriment a bit more.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Indian players are not human! That's why the BCCI don't really communicate with them if they can help it.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not good for Ireland, not good at all. Boyd Rankin and Dave Langford-Smith were their two best bowlers in the World Cup and to have them missing is a big blow. Any reason why Eoin Morgan and Jeremy Bray have made themselves unavailable?
Bray: lack of time to train, he's only had one session a week and doesn't feel ready to play.
Morgan: one-day commitments with Middx (Middx technically have to release him, but they basically said that if the replacement scores runs Morgan would be out of the team.)

Perm

Bray: lack of time to train, he's only had one session a week and doesn't feel ready to play.
Morgan: one-day commitments with Middx (Middx technically have to release him, but they basically said that if the replacement scores runs Morgan would be out of the team.)
I thought something like that may have been the case with Eoin Morgan, Bray surprises me though.