• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
i dont think Vass will get a century...but i sure hope he will. sri lanka might win this match..the way it looks like

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Sri Lanka 429/7, Jayawardene onto 192, Vaas onto 65. Potentially a maiden Test ton for Vaas?
Good on you Mate for putting your curse on him and giving him the kiss of death!! :p

out for 69.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Galle is playing just as I thought it did when the Aussies played there earlier this year. The wickets fell easily on Day 1, then it became a batsmen friendly pitch on Day 2 and Day 3 before becoming difficult again on Day 4 and Day 5.

South Africa's secret to making a match of this, would be to try and bat through to end of Day 3 .

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa seem to be playing just as averagely as they did in NZ a few months ago. This series is there for the taking, Sri Lanka.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
South Africa seem to be playing just as averagely as they did in NZ a few months ago. This series is there for the taking, Sri Lanka.
Too premature words IMO. Murali wicketless and getting some stick. Both openers handling spinners very well Dipenaar 40 n.o, Van Jaarsveld 30 n.o. Smith down with Viral Flu. But will probably bat tomorrow.

SA batting runs to 9 with Kallis, Klusener, Rudolph,Smith, Pollock, Boucher, Boje still to come.
Galle typically seems to be batter friendly on Days 2-3.

As I said before, If SA can bat through to end of Day 3, the match would still be in the balance.

If they manage a lead of 100 by day 4, the game will be theirs.

Craig

World Traveller
I am surprised that Rudolph is not opening, he would have been one of my choices to open the innings.

However, I hope Dippenaar and Van Jaarsveld get some big runs.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
All-star team for the series

Here is an all-star team for the series. It may change as the series goes on.

Marvan
Sanath
Kallis
Rudolph
Sangakkara
Mahela
Klusener
Pollock
Boucher
Murali
Ntini

SWAPS:
Gibbs (when fit)
Vaas
Smith
Romesh

What do you think? And whom would you have in your all-star team?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No he's not as I don't actually think he's that good, and certainly nowhere near Smith or Gibbs.

Seeing as you can only have 2 openers, he therefore isn't in.

Legglancer

State Regular
Jayawardena scores double century as Sri Lanka amass
486 runs in first innings

Associated Press, Thu August 5, 2004 06:12 EDT . TREVOR CHESTERFIELD - Associated Press
Writer - GALLE, Sri Lanka - (AP) Vice captain Mahela Jayawardene scored his second test
double century Thursday to anchor Sri Lanka - 's respectable first innings total of 486 runs on the
second day of the first cricket test against South Africa.

Jayawardene was trapped lbw by Mornantua Hayward for 237, five runs short of his career best

The first two sessions of day two were dominated by a record partnership of 170 for the eighth
wicket between Jayawardene and Chaminda Vaas who made 69.

The partnership is Sri Lankan record for the eighth wicket in tests, surpassing the 146 scored by
Thilan Samawareewa and Upul Chandana against Zimbabwe at the Sinhalese Sports Club in
December 2001. It also beat the previous best of 117 against South Africa scored in 2000 by the
same batsmen.

Jayawardene's innings made him the record holder for the highest test innings at Galle
International Stadium, beating the 201 held by skipper Marvan Atapattu against England in 2001.

Jayawardene reached his double century with a lofted straight drive six off left-arm spinner Nicky
Boje. It took him 482 minutes to achieve the mark off 415 balls and included 25 fours and three
sixes.

The South African bowling was less disciplined Thursday, despite the rotation of the attack when
the captain Graeme Smith joined the side after missing the first 30 minutes of play because of
treatment for a viral infection.

Wicketkeeper and vice captain Mark Boucher steered the team during Smith's absence.

Fast bowler Shaun Pollock, who bowled with tight, probing accuracy Wednesday, returned
figures of 4-84 in 23 overs, while fellow seamer Hayward recorded 3-81.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well credit to Boets and my man Van Jaarsveld for seeing through, surprised at the choice of openers though...

Tim, not sure how you can say that SA are having an average series halfway through the second day of it!
I was angry at the way we performed in NZ because the conditions were similar, not sure what to expect of the boys in Sri Lanka though... As long as we can match the Lankans run for run whatever is conceded in the heat...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
marc71178 said:
Murali's bowling a LOT of overs!
oh suprise suprise... :blink:
lets just give murali infinite overs so he can break the world record :blink: :blink:

how good is maharoof (sic?) going!!?! bowling sooo well.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
mahroof is pretty good...he was the best school cricketer in sri lanka in the year 2002 or 2003 ...with a double century and more than 100 wickets in that season.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
oh suprise suprise... :blink:
lets just give murali infinite overs so he can break the world record :blink: :blink:

how good is maharoof (sic?) going!!?! bowling sooo well.
Not really... he only needed one wicket to break the record, and he got that ages ago. Murali always bowls around 40% of Sri Lanka's overs anyway.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Rudolph going along ever so slowly, scoring a run for every three balls he's faced!! 63 off 192 balls !