• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka 2014

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
maybe its because he still lacks a potent stock ball.
Yep, this why Narine has become a world class LO spinner and Mendis remains a fringe international spinner, the stock ball is still just a rolled off-break delivered quite quickly, the googly is Mendis' only real potent weapon.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Yep, this why Narine has become a world class LO spinner and Mendis remains a fringe international spinner, the stock ball is still just a rolled off-break delivered quite quickly, the googly is Mendis' only real potent weapon.
Its the carrom ball, not the googly. His googly is pretty good as a variation delivery, but the carrom ball can trouble any batsmen. And he has been bowling more carrom balls in ODIs recently. Its difficult to bowl them accurately(hence the higher economy rate), but the more he bowls them, the more are the chances of producing a few unplayable deliveries and picking wickets.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Mendis has a better international record than Narine :cool: In all formats

Narine can be trusted to keep the batsmen quite in all situations though, Mendis can't do that. But at the same time Narine hasn't been that wicket taker that Mendis has been.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Again I don't think career stats are a particularly useful tool in evaluating Mendis compared to other players, but we'll never agree on him.

Moving on, bright start here, good to see us win the toss, hopefully we put a big score on the board and put the saffers under pressure, a good opening stand or a second wicket stand is vital, the top order has been crucial to our success lately.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Kusal starting to get on my nerves with all these soft dismissals, he's gotta stay in the team because he's a matchwinner, and our top order can afford to carry him if he fails, but I'd love to see him get a little more consistent and put a higher price on his wicket sometimes.

Some vintage Dilshan here too, thought his rapid-fire days were all but over

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to see him look to settle in, we made a rapid start so we can afford a consolidation period and it's an ideal time for him to find some form and get his mind back in the right place, no 4 seems to be his spot, especially if we lose wickets early like today.

viriya

International Captain
All this assumes he knows how to accelerate at the end... My money's on him throwing it away.. Never thought I'd say this but I'd take chandimal's failures over his...

viriya

International Captain
Not sure why SL has persisted with Ashan... Isn't this pitch bouncy enough for Thisara? We could definitely use his batting.. Last time he was a t pallekele he **** on Robin Petersen for 34 runs in an over from what I recall..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
He was doing the job of keeping the scoreboard ticking while we batted time and set ourselves up for a big finish, was doing it well too, I'd like to think he's done enough to convince the selectors that he's back in some ok form now, looked much more convincing anyway. Shame he threw it away like that.

The reason we are persisting with Priyanjan is because he's played well at this level and looks to be a good talent for the future, some people don't believe in knee-jerk reactions to everything

viriya

International Captain
Not sure how you can say "definite bat" from that reply.. If anything it was overruled cos there was really no way of knowing for sure..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That is indeed a worry, he's our trump card against spin, however it's always easier against mystery spinners in tests where you don't need to look to attack all the time

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
This is why 7 batsmen can be handy I spose, our inablity to build big partnerships killing is so far this series

viriya

International Captain
SL on track to lose this ODI series quite comfortably.. SA just have a clearly better side.. The Tests might be a bit more even with Herath making the difference.