• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Stefan9

International Debutant
If SA continues with the absurd idea of Jansen being a nr.7 NZ will have a great chance.
SA has momentum from the India series but batting still doesn't convince.

Series will be a shoot out between the bowling attacks.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
1-1, top runscorers Elgar and Conway, top wicket takers Jansen and Southee, biggest underperformers Rabada and Latham.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
If SA win this series.. NZ will be out of WTC race almost while proteas will be in with a great shout at the final.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Forecast for the weekend isn't looking great - normally we don't get rain for 2 months after Christmas, but this year it's rained more than I ever remember. If it stays away for the test, it'll still mean an unusual Hagley deck I think.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Latham and Nicholls to get most runs for NZ. Southee and Kyle to pick up most wickets.

Jezroy

State Captain
So it looks like the NZ team will be:

Latham
Young
Conway
Nicholls
Mitchell
Blundell
CDG or Ravindra
Jamieson
Southee
Henry
Wagner

Do they need Mitchell, CDG, AND 4 other seamers?

Is Blundell one place too high? Probably not if we are 500/4, but probably is if we are 50/4…

Rutherford, Fletcher, Tickner really there as cover for injury. Then they are just choosing between CDG and Rachin.

Be interesting to see if Boult and Patel come into the reckoning for the second test…

Also feels weird not seeing Taylor AND Williamson, but really… Ross has been declining in tests for a while, so just have to wrap my head around that. So really the hole is “just” Kane missing.

Feels like this would be so much better…

Young
Latham
Kane
Conway
Nicholls
Blundell (would bat 7 if Mitchell plays)
Mitchell or CDG or Rachin
Bowlers

nzfan

I hope the black caps are lucid in picking their batting order. If CDG or Rachin is playing like said above they should be sent in at no.6. I'd even say if playing Rachin send him at no.5 but I don't think that's going to happen. If we're in very good position and need quick scoring Blundell could no in at no.6 if Rachin is playing otherwise CDG will do the job. The only real question is who plays as the all rounder, CDG or Rachin. Either will work. Then the 4 fast bowlers. I don't think we will see Tickener, Ruds or Cam this test match.

Latham, Nicholls and Henry are key. Two test matches at their home ground. They will have the familiarity and should feel lot more comfortable.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So it looks like the NZ team will be:

Latham
Young
Conway
Nicholls
Mitchell
Blundell
CDG or Ravindra
Jamieson
Southee
Henry
Wagner

Do they need Mitchell, CDG, AND 4 other seamers?

Is Blundell one place too high? Probably not if we are 500/4, but probably is if we are 50/4…

Rutherford, Fletcher, Tickner really there as cover for injury. Then they are just choosing between CDG and Rachin.

Be interesting to see if Boult and Patel come into the reckoning for the second test…

Also feels weird not seeing Taylor AND Williamson, but really… Ross has been declining in tests for a while, so just have to wrap my head around that. So really the hole is “just” Kane missing.

Feels like this would be so much better…

Young
Latham
Kane
Conway
Nicholls
Blundell (would bat 7 if Mitchell plays)
Mitchell or CDG or Rachin
Bowlers
Obviously having Williamson would be so much better. It looks like a quality batting lineup with him there, but Mitchell seems to know what he's doing with the bat.

nzfan

Mitchell has done well in his test career so far, but he is not a number 5. And with Nicholls struggling that top order gives me the shivers.
The top 3 need to fire for us. If we get to say 150/2 or something like that we'll be all right. Early couple of wickets then it's going to require one of the middle order batter to have one of their best game. I'm also a little bit doubtful about our middle order but that said Nicholls playing at Hagley could spur him to do something really good. He has a knack of scoring tough runs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the amount of rain that's reportedly been falling in Hagley, the fact CdG has a great record at Hagley, it's not likely to turn etc I'd feel like it was a no-brainer that CdG plays and bats at 6 ahead of Blundell.

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why hasn't Nicholls played any meaningful cricket since the test match against Bangladesh?