• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what the commentators are talking about. Game is gone and cheap runs are there for the taking. Good cricket from Bavuma. Who cares if he gets out? He scored more than 1, 2 and 3 combined.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It won't be as bad as this defeat statistically but this defeat is much worse. This is like Zimbabwe in 2005 against New Zealand.
Not as bad as our test in Pakistan in 2002.
Pakistan 643 (Inzy 329)
NZ 73 and 246.

The tour was then cancelled after a bomb exploded near the NZ hotel before the 2nd test.

We also always get absolutely slaughtered whenever we play the Saffas in South Africa. I don't understand why England always seems to do really well over there.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southee (332) now ahead of Donald (330) amongst test cricket's test wicket takers.
The next ones ahead on the list are Lillee and Vaas (355), and Imran and Vettori (362).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I’m more surprised that others are surprised by SA performance... sure it been lackluster but not a surprise.
Our best department the bowling has a newbie in Jansen who still has much to learn, Olivier who is not the player he was in anyway and should not be there really. Stuurman who is not really international quality. Thus it’s only really Rabada in a four man pace attack. Having dropped the experienced spinner.

Nothing in the batting has really changed. Bavuma has not become a great batsmen. Markram is still going to fish outside off. Elgar still strong gales overseas.

So no real surprises.

Bahseph

State Captain
Never seen Erwee play but he is 33 this year and has scored 10 hundreds in 14 years. What's the point?
The point is that the SA selection policy is never proactive. Especially with batters. Although the fact that there always seems to be an international quality seamer hanging about helps them with regard to the bowling.

This isn't a young batting line up,with 4 of the top 6 older than 30. And only one of then is a proven commodity. So in the next cycle and tour to NZ there will probably 4 new players in that top 6. This isn't a selection policy with long or short term benefits IMHO. The India series was won without SA going past 300 once. This is exactly what can happen if your gun bowlers have an off day. The game is gone because the batting isn't used to long innings.

Bahseph

State Captain
@StephenZA I think us SA supporters know the truth about this side. Markram was our batting hope but I think time hard hands might be a part of his game he can't get rid of. What's the solution? Try to hide him down at 5? How do they do that without dropping him first.

Dendarii

International Debutant
@StephenZA I think us SA supporters know the truth about this side. Markram was our batting hope but I think time hard hands might be a part of his game he can't get rid of. What's the solution? Try to hide him down at 5? How do they do that without dropping him first.
Dropping him down to three might have helped his cause a bit if our openers had decided to do their job.

Bahseph

State Captain
The only positive for an SA fan now would be for Hamza and Verreynne to get some decent runs. Perhaps Jansen as well. I think we know all we need to know about Bavuma and Rassie.