• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since when is a 'Test' wicket meant to help players develop a wide range of skills anyways? Thats what domestic cricket, A team tours, age group cricket, etc etc is for. Test cricket is played to win, not to learn.
Indeed.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ah ffs, I tried staying out of it but did you seriously just say playing in the IPL is in any way helpful in making yourself a better batsman against spin? Those tracks are made for runs, like 400 off 40 overs isn't uncommon at times and no kind of bowler has anything in it to help. Amla is clearly out of form.

AB made that ***y 50 in the first test and would have gotten more if he had not missed a slider under pressure. If he had one guy at the other end who had the sense to stay out there with him, that innings had the potential to be another KP at Mumbai kind of an innings. The truth is there are very few players good against spin from bot sides playing in this series. These pitches are mellow compared to the kind of turners we had in the 90s or under Ganguly.We had roads and slow turners from 2008 for a few years when batsmen built up insane domestic records and we are now going back to normal. I would be worried if we continued being this **** against spin in a year or two but we need to get used to the old Indian pitches again after not seeing them for a while.
Why are you getting so angry. IPL means you spend time and see the bounce of the Indian wickets. You are not an alien to Indian conditions like teams were in the 90s. I disagree that these pitches are mellow compared to the 90s. I have seen most of the tests at home in the 90s. Kumble used length really well there. Batsmen could score 500-600 runs. Imagine us scoring 600 here. We will not get used to such pitches even if they carry on for a couple of years. Maybe we will play with soft hands more and learn some more ways to survive a bit before that unlucky ball comes along. Elgar has experienced this so many times this series.

cnerd123

likes this
I know cricinfo describes it as a good shot, but one has to question the wisdom of playing lofted drives against Jadeja on this pitch with the best part of 3 days to go...

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I know cricinfo describes it as a good shot, but one has to question the wisdom of playing lofted drives against Jadeja on this pitch with the best part of 3 days to go...
I doubt that's how SA or anyone is looking at this game. This game won't even get close to the best part of 3 days.

cnerd123

likes this
I doubt that's how SA or anyone is looking at this game. This game won't even get close to the best part of 3 days.
My point is are such risks necessary? Maybe they are; it's still fairly likely that they could get a jaffa out of nowhere on this track, but for a batsman out of form to attempt a stroke like that...quite brave to say the least.

These two have survived 21 overs now. Clearly if you bat well, you can survive on this pitch.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
My point is are such risks necessary? Maybe they are; it's still fairly likely that they could get a jaffa out of nowhere on this track, but for a batsman out of form to attempt a stroke like that...quite brave to say the least.

These two have survived 21 overs now. Clearly if you bat well, you can survive on this pitch.
You also need to score runs and transfer pressure onto the opposition. Nothing eases the nerves more than the scoreboard ticking. Especially with the field up and not many ones on offer.

cnerd123

likes this
SA - 105/4 in the 4th innings
NZ - 98/5 in the first innings

Hey why is no one complaining about the Adelaide pitch guys?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
You also need to score runs and transfer pressure onto the opposition. Nothing eases the nerves more than the scoreboard ticking.
Yea I get that. Seemed risky that's all. I guess fortune favours the brave and all that. These two have done pretty well at just finding the singles and hanging in there.

indiaholic

International Captain
If you don't hit out to deliveries where you are close to the pitch of the ball then it increases the margin of error for the bowler. Was a decent gamble IMO.