• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

cnerd123

likes this
40 is not the same as nearly 60 for a reason.
Oh, the point I was trying to make is that Ranji averages reflect heavily on your home surface. Jadeja used to play on really flat pitches, allowing him to accomplish that average and those feats. I don't follow Ranji too closely, but Mumbai tracks tend to be fairly batting friendly, and if anything support quick bowlers more (Mumbai pioneered having seamer friendly surfaces, an army of medium pacers, and rotating them in short bursts to great effect). Rahane's 60 average need not mean he's brilliant at spin. For its size and complexity, many players do not actually face a wide range of surfaces during their time at Ranji.

cnerd123

likes this
Tahir costing SA here. A decent 4th bowler performance was needed. Tahir neither taking wickets or keeping it tight.
I mean, he got spells of 2 overs, 2 overs and 3 overs.

He's not going to find his radar right away. If they were going to use him, they should be prepared to accept that he will need a few overs within which he will possibly bleed some runs. It's an issue, but Amla and co. should have known that going in. It's hardly a new revelation that Tahir can be expensive.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of people were saying Rahane isn't very good v spin though. He averages nearly 60 at home in Ranji. You don't do that if you can't play spin.
Yeah as I said earlier, it's just a matter of time before Kohli and Rahane start getting those runs at home as well. The difference is we are seeing these careers develop in front of us hence we look at them more harshly. Dravid did not always average 52. Players learn, improve, struggle, adapt, fail, improve. This is part of the journey.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince "I'd pick Rohit ahead of Rahane for a test in India" EWS must be feeling pretty ****ing stupid.
I can understand people not wanting to rate Rahane unless he proves himself consistently at home which is where PEWS was probably coming from. However picking Rohit in a Test XI whether home or away was surprising from PEWS. I would rather pick Rahul at 3 and have Pujara at 5 instead of Rohit.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, he got spells of 2 overs, 2 overs and 3 overs.

He's not going to find his radar right away. If they were going to use him, they should be prepared to accept that he will need a few overs within which he will possibly bleed some runs. It's an issue, but Amla and co. should have known that going in. It's hardly a new revelation that Tahir can be expensive.
Yeah but within the specific context of this match, with the other 3 applying pressure, picking up wickets, and tiring, all SA needed from the 4th bowler was to keep it tight while the others get a breather.

indiaholic

International Captain
I can understand people not wanting to rate Rahane unless he proves himself consistently at home which is where PEWS was probably coming from. However picking Rohit in a Test XI whether home or away was surprising from PEWS. I would rather pick Rahul at 3 and have Pujara at 5 instead of Rohit.
Pujara should remain at 3. Absolutely no reason to move him around.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah but within the specific context of this match, with the other 3 applying pressure, picking up wickets, and tiring, all SA needed from the 4th bowler was to keep it tight while the others get a breather.
Yea, that's fair, but the expect that out of Tahir is bizarre. They know what Tahir is like. You can't pick a player and expect him to perform in a way that he never has, or that he is incapable of.

I feel the criticism should go to the captain/selectors here for expecting Tahir to be able to keep things tight from the word go.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hurricane has him in his most overrated XI, Furball thinks he's overrated. Joe and Howe think he's not world class.

#notobsessed.
Of course he's not world class yet. You're a lawyer FFS. You deal with proof. Runs on the board are proof. He's had no runs at home until today. It's not a difficult concept to get one's head around.

I swear reading some posts on here is like stepping into a classroom at the special childrens school.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Of course he's not world class yet. You're a lawyer FFS. You deal with proof. Runs on the board are proof. He's had no runs at home until today. It's not a difficult concept to get one's head around.

I swear reading some posts on here is like stepping into a class at the special childrens school.
It was a light hearted post indicated by my sarcastic hashtag where I was picking people who had the smallest concerns with him as haters but carry on.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahane reminds me of VVS.. Plays one good knock per series then goes completely missing
There are definitely similarities between the two but I feel this is a harsh assessment. The SL tour and this series are the only ones where what you've said has happened. Otherwise, he's been good throughout most series he's played yet.

I'd gladly take a VVS career from someone this lineup. Need someone to play those ***y knocks at the most vital moment.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It was a light hearted post indicated by my sarcastic hashtag where I was picking people who had the smallest concerns with him as haters but carry on.
Lack of any significant innings in India is hardly a "small concern". Even light hearted posts need an element of truth to them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sample size was so laughably small though.
That's why we wait until he has a large enough sample size to call him world class. I don't doubt that he'll have a decent career at home, but it's ludicrous to have a go at people who don't consider him world class yet on the evidence thus far.