• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in England Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
From a cricketing point of view, it is a huge loss for the young SA team still reeling from that demoralising defeat in the Natwest final.

Let's hope he comes back soon to strengthen the SA team...and hopefully for them, it won't be too late in the series....

Craig

World Traveller
By any chance Marc did you read my post that I said I saw his Test debut (unless I forgot to add it - apologies)?

Condolences to Mr Kallis and his family. I can almost understand what he is going through.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SA won the toss and batted.

Five day weather forecast is a bit grim - could well be heavy rain Friday and Saturday. I remember that sort of forecast for the first Zimbabwe game (and it was totally wrong)

Harmison to get panned in 5....2.....7...... (sorry, keyboard malfunction. Manufactured by same company as Harmison's radar)

Craig

World Traveller
Mr. Ponting said:
I don't think anyone could understand what Kallis is going through-and nor do I
Well somebody in family has cancer, not lung cancer, might cancer though.

Another needless stat that if South Africa win 5-0, then they will have a winning streak of 14 Tests in a row and could then topple Australia's record of 16 Tests wins in a row if they beat Pakistan in Pakistan.

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
that may be true-i had a relation who had cancer, but kallis's experiance would be very different from yours

Craig

World Traveller
Fair enough.

Lets move on. The outfield looks good and the pitch looks good for batting, meanwhile Anderson's line and length is not good.

England - Trescothick, Vaughan, Butcher, *Hussain, McGrath, +Stewart, Flintoff, Giles, Gough, Anderson, Harmison

South Africa - *Smith, Gibbs, Kirsten, Dippenaar, Rudolph, +Boucher, Pollock, Peterson, Pretourious, Willoghby (spelling), Ntini

Good mark of respect shown by England by wearing black arm bands with the South Africans.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
As we move towards lunch, South Africa are very much in the ascendancy with only Harmison and a couple of deliveries from Freddie giving them any real difficulty.

Slow pitch, fast outfield, wayward bowling - dip your bread.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Giles has done a Jimmy with his blonde tint...

It's not working the same magic though...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Giles has done a Jimmy with his blonde tint...

It's not working the same magic though...
Oh, I don't know so much. Anderson's been almost Giles-like with his penetration this morning.;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Oh, I don't know so much. Anderson's been almost Giles-like with his penetration this morning.;)
I was meaning that it hasn't worked as well as it did before as soon as Giles copied it...anyway who does he think he is? Some young tyro? :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And Rain forecast for tomorrow (when I've booked the afternoon off work to watch :!( )

Interesting to hear Harmison is causing problems LE, or was the duck speaking?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Interesting to hear Harmison is causing problems LE, or was the duck speaking?
The only problems I saw for SA involving Harmison were when Smith and Gibbs wacked the cover off the ball only to see it brilliantly fielded again and again.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was just testing to see whether Rik was watching the game on teletext as usual.:D

Harmison, to be fair, did made both batsmen jump around when he first came on (when I first posted the message) as opposed to Anderson, Gough and Flintoff who just got the batsmen jumping all over the ball and the rest of us jumping for the record books.

At the moment, I wouldn't pay a single bowler in washers. Sure, there's no help from the wicket but you have to pick a side and stick to it.

I can only see Giles taking a wicket at the moment (as I type this, Vaughan puts Gibbs down off Butcher).

Mental scars?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
0/255

Time for a Rain Dance...

Our fielding has been riddled with errors that our Under 11s would have been ashamed of.

I am not looking forward to tonight's match report.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
I was just testing to see whether Rik was watching the game on teletext as usual.:D

Harmison, to be fair, did made both batsmen jump around when he first came on (when I first posted the message) as opposed to Anderson, Gough and Flintoff who just got the batsmen jumping all over the ball and the rest of us jumping for the record books.

At the moment, I wouldn't pay a single bowler in washers. Sure, there's no help from the wicket but you have to pick a side and stick to it.

I can only see Giles taking a wicket at the moment (as I type this, Vaughan puts Gibbs down off Butcher).

Mental scars?
I've heard worries about SA's bowling attack, but everyone seemed to forget about England's...

Anderson has had a shocker, 6.2 an over!

I didn't want Gough picked in the 1st place and he's showing why: He looks underdone, seems to have lost the spark and he's bowling both sides of the wicket.

Harmison hasn't been the worst, but he hasn't exactly done anything either.

Giles is his typical self, no wickets, and not much chance of one unless Gibbs gifts him one.

Flintoff has done just what he's done in every Test I've seen him bowl in, keeps it tight and bowls some dangerous deliveries but no swing and not amazing pace and rather too much bang in and block. It works in ODIs but not in Tests Freddie...

Does anyone know how long it took Richard James "Substitute" Kirtley to get back to the Sussex game and who's place he took? I suspect he's getting rather good at this.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
I didn't want Gough picked in the 1st place and he's showing why: He looks underdone, seems to have lost the spark and he's bowling both sides of the wicket.
You are way too quick in judgement. The man hasn't played Test cricket in a year! You can't expect him to pick right up where he left off. He's still the best bowler in England IMO and he will recover form if given a chance.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You are way too quick in judgement. The man hasn't played Test cricket in a year! You can't expect him to pick right up where he left off. He's still the best bowler in England IMO and he will recover form if given a chance.
You haven't seen him bowl in this Test. There's just nothing there, he's bowling with a very low action and I can't remember a ball he bowled that rushed either Smith or Gibbs. Gibbs' 6 off Gough followed by a cut 4 is evidence of that.

Your point though does raise an interisting question, if you accept he's not in best form and needs time to get back into bowling in Tests then why was he picked after only a few 4D games for Yorkshire? He's not had enough 4D cricket to prepare himself for the Test in my opinion. And from watching Gough over the years, there is definately something missing. Believe me I, like all England supporters, love Goughie for his heart and ability, it's just I don't think he's the bowler he used to be and today only confirms that.

Last edited: