• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Niall

International Coach
He sacked off the IPL as well which would have cost him big money, hopefully all is well behind the scenes, he doesn't come across as a bad bloke tbf.:)

Dendarii

International Debutant
Could the intention be for Duminy to play for South Africa A in their upcoming matches? So maybe it's not a case of axing him completely but rather giving him an opportunity to get some game time and maybe regain his form.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm one of the few people here who kinda likes Duminy.. so that's a tad unfortunate, the way he's been treated here.

SeamUp

International Coach
With de Bruyn and Markram around there isn't a need for JP and he probably wants to spend time with young family and realises his test career is over.

On the new Zealand tour they did similar. Think Olivier and Klaasen were sent home early.

Being a WP supporter & watching his early career blossom was a highlight. Especially watching the way he scored runs. But in many ways a frustration like Rudolph & many others who couldn't be a good to great international cricketer. Just an average one. Not a bad one.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With de Bruyn and Markram around there isn't a need for JP and he probably wants to spend time with young family and realises his test career is over.

On the new Zealand tour they did similar. Think Olivier and Klaasen were sent home early.

Being a WP supporter & watching his early career blossom was a highlight. Especially watching the way he scored runs. But in many ways a frustration like Rudolph & many others who couldn't be a good to great international cricketer. Just an average one. Not a bad one.
That being so I wonder why he hasn't announced his retirement and/or new Kolpak contract? I can't imagine he'd be short of suitors in the counties.

I can't help but think there maybe slightly more to it than that.

SK mentioned Pietersen as a point of reference. Kevin does seem very much the wanker's wanker, but even he got to stick around to the end of the last Ashes despite being, by most reports, very much a toxic presence.

One struggles to believe JPD has ever touched such levels of twatitude, so if there's no intrigue the situation has been, at best, badly media-managed.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That being so I wonder why he hasn't announced his retirement and/or new Kolpak contract? I can't imagine he'd be short of suitors in the counties.

I can't help but think there maybe slightly more to it than that.

SK mentioned Pietersen as a point of reference. Kevin does seem very much the wanker's wanker, but even he got to stick around to the end of the last Ashes despite being, by most reports, very much a toxic presence.

One struggles to believe JPD has ever touched such levels of twatitude, so if there's no intrigue the situation has been, at best, badly media-managed.
Markram was meant to go back when Faf returned but was kept on. After the last Test with Duminy being dropped their is effectively an extra batsmen in the squad. With de Bruyn and Markram being the future, I can see an agreement between the coaching staff, CSA and Duminy (who has always been a good team man) that it would be better for him to go home to his family than hang around with the squad.

Is Duminy probably upset about the end of his Test career, yes. But I think he understands the situation. I don't see any reason to believe in more sinister motives, it is not like they are replacing him with somebody even less suitable.

Edit: On the Kolpak deal, he would have to give up LO stuff, and he is not out of those teams yet. He has been a better LO for us than Test.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Markram was meant to go back when Faf returned but was kept on. After the last Test with Duminy being dropped their is effectively an extra batsmen in the squad. With de Bruyn and Markram being the future, I can see an agreement between the coaching staff, CSA and Duminy (who has always been a good team man) that it would be better for him to go home to his family than hang around with the squad.

Is Duminy probably upset about the end of his Test career, yes. But I think he understands the situation. I don't see any reason to believe in more sinister motives, it is not like they are replacing him with somebody even less suitable.

Edit: On the Kolpak deal, he would have to give up LO stuff, and he is not out of those teams yet. He has been a better LO for us than Test.
I agree.

And if they know they're not going to pick him again in the series, let him go. De Bruyn is the next in line now, and let Markram stay and get experience and learn from the veterans.

Also, from a purely financial point of view, it'll save money if they don't have to pay for Duminy's board and lodging and transport till the end of the series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's silly, but I don't think it's silly enough to suspect something more juicy than the official reason. Players do get released from squads from time to time when they definitely won't be playing further part in a series; I've just never really got the point unless they have domestic cricket to go back to (which they often don't).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's silly, but I don't think it's silly enough to suspect something more juicy than the official reason. Players do get released from squads from time to time when they definitely won't be playing further part in a series; I've just never really got the point unless they have domestic cricket to go back to (which they often don't).
Normally you send a player back to FC when you hope he will improve and come back, Duminy will not be coming back, this has been on the cards for a long time. I think in this case, Markram was meant to go home and the squad had 1 to many batsmen. Duminy having being dropped and probably never to be picked again, and having spent months in England since the LO tournament probably wanted to just go home to his family and get over his disappointment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The comfort of one's family can be so so crucial when met with professional failure and difficulties. Honestly, no reason to judge JP being sent back this way at all. I thought it was a lot more harsh on guys like Duckett and Ballance last year in India.

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
Just been watching the 2005 ashes series on youtube, seems that Trescothick god bless was the same as Ballance without the extensive back-foot trigger. Wish he was still opening for England, I watched his last sad tour match against NSW in 2006. I reckon he could have been up there with the greatest English openers ever.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just been watching the 2005 ashes series on youtube, seems that Trescothick god bless was the same as Ballance without the extensive back-foot trigger. Wish he was still opening for England, I watched his last sad tour match against NSW in 2006. I reckon he could have been up there with the greatest English openers ever.
The ironic thing was that he'd actually become a seriously consistent performer when the mental illness really kicked in. Without checking the statistics, his performances in the 2004/05 tour of SA, the 2005 ashes and then away to Pakistan were right up there; as good as you could wish for. And then it all became too much for him. Such a shame.

Oh, and welcome btw.

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
Cheers mate. I love my English left handers, Thorpe is my favourite player but my there have been many awesome English lefties!

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
Stoneman would have been my choice but with an Aussie coach in there I believe they wanted someone more of a strokemaker. I say England should just pick who suits their team and fashion be blowed. The best era/s of English cricket have been with conservative stalwarts around a gun middle order player. Root should be at 4 all day long.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
I think you want your best player at 3. England are always 3-4 down early so the sooner Root gets in the better in my opinion. I think it was Nasser who was saying it always takes England far too long to respond to a crisis. But then again, who comes in at four? I can't count too many people in this side ATM who are consistent performers even in the bowling, as much as I love Jimmy you have to be realistic and of late he's bowled way too short at the start of the first innings and Broad has lost his fear factor. Never thought I'd ever look forward to Woakes coming back, any news on when that might be?

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
Woakes is out until the ashes. Barrington never batted at 3 and he has to be the best English batsman ever. England don't have to use the Aussie model, 123 all play down the left (or right) shoulder types, no-one else in world cricket bats that deep, nor has for years. Hameed at 3, he is the future, he isn't a cupcake like Bell. Not sure about Jennings, I'd be more keen on opening with Hales again.

Last edited:

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
As far as bowling goes I think people need to look at Ball, he has more of the hint of young Angus Fraser in him. Future champion.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
No you're quite right, it's just my opinion on where he should bat, especially with the fragility at the moment. Essentially it's a side with a lot of holes at the moment and there is no easy solution.

People keep talking about Hameed like he has a god given right to be an ATG, his time may come but at the moment it would be cruel to play him and could possibly break him even more than he already is.