• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't you mean 'typical except at Perth' -odd? Not that I'm annoyed at last summer or anything.

Kuhn listed retired hurt, anyone know what's with that?

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
Even for England weather this has been pretty dire.
Proteas should be okay with their performance so far.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even for England weather this has been pretty dire.
Proteas should be okay with their performance so far.
This Summer seems to be feast or famine, weather-wise, either blistering heat (for us) or miserable cold rain.

Looks like it's improving again tomorrow and for awhile.

Interesting to see how Broad does in the Lords final, should decide if he plays.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'm ambivalent about them selecting Ballance. I doubt he's any different a batsman technically to when he last played (so why should this time be any better), just more confident right now. But I don't see anyone else as particularly deserving, or of international level at county cricket.

However him batting 3 would be lol bad. Hopefully Etheridge is just speculating on that part.

Sounds like a shootout between TRJ and Dawson for the last spot.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What, Dawson? Why on earth would he play?

Edit: Just read above. I suppose that should be why on earth is he in the squad?

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Sam Northeast!! Has Ballance got some sort of hold over the selectors or something? Northeast at three, Root at four (where he is better). Jennings is an out-and-out opener but I suppose if they have dropped Hameed they are not going to try any wonky experiments with Keats batting at three.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Sam Northeast!! Has Ballance got some sort of hold over the selectors or something? Northeast at three, Root at four (where he is better). Jennings is an out-and-out opener but I suppose if they have dropped Hameed they are not going to try any wonky experiments with Keats batting at three.
He's been picked because Root wanted him according to the article. It's a thoroughly uninspiring selection and we'll no doubt see him getting out in the same manners as always against quality bowling and his position will be under threat after a couple of tests.

I felt like the new captaincy was a good time to blood some new middle order players but this is horribly conservative selection.

FBU

International Debutant
I thought the squad would be announced on Saturday but I see on the ECB site

Joe Root (Yorkshire) (Captain)
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Liam Dawson (Hampshire)
Keaton Jennings (Durham)
Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Mark Wood (Durham)

S.Kennedy

I quite like Toby Roland-Jones's selection mind. Because their inclination would have been Finn. In fact they will still find a way to pick Finn I'm certain. In one hundred years' time the ECB will be propping up Gary and Finn's skeletons and saying, ''come on Gary and Steve, we knew along you would be good eventually so show us we were correct''. One of life's certainties is Finn and Ballance will be selected for England.