• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah absolutely. Lots of batsmen getting starts and something in it for the bowlers also. Couple of early wickets and it's game on I reckon.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Disappointing that qdk and hash gave it away. Whether its an ok score depends if the pitch gets quicker tomorrow.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wood could really do with a few poles sooner rather than later - when Woakes comes back in for him, there has to be a worry that the next time they need a replacement they'll look somewhere else

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Would it be so crazy to suggest Woakes comes in for Anderson? I mean that never happens but he looks like he's lost his zip and his line/length isn't super consistent anymore. I've seen him bowl sides out in better batting conditions than yesterday morning, and S.A are hardly a solid batting unit.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Would it be so crazy to suggest Woakes comes in for Anderson? I mean that never happens but he looks like he's lost his zip and his line/length isn't super consistent anymore. I've seen him bowl sides out in better batting conditions than yesterday morning, and S.A are hardly a solid batting unit.
It's a fair question, even if we all know it won't happen.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah would say perhaps SA a nose ahead but very close, really good days play.
It's a pretty big nose imo, if Phillander or any of the other SA quicks find the same movement that was there yesterday. Which wouldn't be entirely unexpected at TB.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing that qdk and hash gave it away. Whether its an ok score depends if the pitch gets quicker tomorrow.
I was truly disappointed with both those shots. QDK has had enough experience to know it was not the time to play that shot, he is that sort of player, but first ball after lunch. Hash`s wicket disappointed me because he had got away with a few pulls from outside the off stump, but rather than putting it away for awhile he continued playing the shot. I expected better from him. They had been playing well and if either of them had got to a biggish hundred would have put huge pressure on the Eng batting line-up.

That all said, I think Philander has been great with the bat last few series and has supported QDK and Bavuma a few times to make sure we got a decent total on the board. Would be great if he pushed on to get a 100 cause he has done a good job for us over the years.

Bijed

International Regular
Re the question of potentially dropping Anderson, I don't think it needs to happen right now anyway, even though Jimmy definitely is on the way out. He had a decent test at Lord's so whilst he probably won't be running through sides anymore, he's not yet a spent force. Wood really hasn't done much so far and though he can save his place by doing well from here on in, he's the only seamer that we should be looking at dropping right now.

There's the argument that bringing Woakes in for Wood might leave the attack a bit samey, but the probable step up in quality would more than make up for that.

That said, one more injury will probably be the end of Jimmy so between that and the undeniable fact that he is fading away, giving Woakes another shot with the new ball wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

I'm sure there is a proper succession plan in place and I hope it doesn't involve Jimmy going to Australia in all honesty, as I think he'd really struggle and would in all likelihood finish him off - not only would he deserve a better end to his career but if we rest him over the winter it's not inconceivable that he'd be able to play in some of our home tests next year, should he be needed (since by then we really ought to be at least trying to move on)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a fair question, even if we all know it won't happen.
Anderson might not be as good as Woakes anymore but he's definitely still better than Wood.
Are you blokes mad or am I missing something?? Why is everyone so quick to right Jimmy off? Woakes walks straight back into this side but be ****ed if he comes in for Jimmy Anderson.......Anderson is still > than Woakes.

Also how bad was Wood yesterday? Only got to watch bits of the first session but his first few overs were right on the money, from the comments in this thread I assume he didn't maintain that through the day?

SeamUp

International Coach
I was truly disappointed with both those shots. QDK has had enough experience to know it was not the time to play that shot, he is that sort of player, but first ball after lunch. Hash`s wicket disappointed me because he had got away with a few pulls from outside the off stump, but rather than putting it away for awhile he continued playing the shot. I expected better from him. They had been playing well and if either of them had got to a biggish hundred would have put huge pressure on the Eng batting line-up.

That all said, I think Philander has been great with the bat last few series and has supported QDK and Bavuma a few times to make sure we got a decent total on the board. Would be great if he pushed on to get a 100 cause he has done a good job for us over the years.

Same old adage , 100s win you test matches & both let us down yesterday from that perspective. I don't think we can forget Kuhn's role yesterday - It was proper test opening batting that gutsed it out for both of them to cash in.

Kepler Wessels says he remembers Greg Chappell getting to a stage where he couldn't concentrate for long hours anymore so just decided play his shots and play a riskier game. But Amla middled 2 pulls/hooks for 4, one middled and out & 3 top edges landed safe. Quite an innings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Are you blokes mad or am I missing something?? Why is everyone so quick to right Jimmy off? Woakes walks straight back into this side but be ****ed if he comes in for Jimmy Anderson.......Anderson is still > than Woakes.
I think this has more to do with the fact that I think Woakes is gun than anything else. :p

Anderson's still a long way ahead of Wood for mine but if I had to choose between Anderson and Woakes for whatever reason I think I might be stretched these days.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Re the question of potentially dropping Anderson, I don't think it needs to happen right now anyway, even though Jimmy definitely is on the way out. He had a decent test at Lord's so whilst he probably won't be running through sides anymore, he's not yet a spent force. Wood really hasn't done much so far and though he can save his place by doing well from here on in, he's the only seamer that we should be looking at dropping right now.

There's the argument that bringing Woakes in for Wood might leave the attack a bit samey, but the probable step up in quality would more than make up for that.

That said, one more injury will probably be the end of Jimmy so between that and the undeniable fact that he is fading away, giving Woakes another shot with the new ball wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

I'm sure there is a proper succession plan in place and I hope it doesn't involve Jimmy going to Australia in all honesty, as I think he'd really struggle and would in all likelihood finish him off - not only would he deserve a better end to his career but if we rest him over the winter it's not inconceivable that he'd be able to play in some of our home tests next year, should he be needed (since by then we really ought to be at least trying to move on)
OK I'm starting to doubt my own opinion now, as too many posters who I respect in their knowledge are posting like this about Anderson.

He's played 2 tests this year, was decent at Lords and had a bad day yesterday.........last calendar year he took 41 poles @ 23. Why is he finished? No way is he sitting out of the Ashes this year, if he's fit he's on the plane.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this has more to do with the fact that I think Woakes is gun than anything else. :p

Anderson's still a long way ahead of Wood for mine but if I had to choose between Anderson and Woakes for whatever reason I think I might be stretched these days.
I rate Woakes too (in home conditions) but blimey.......there was a discussion a couple of days ago on who's better out of Broad or Jimmy and that's so close there is no clear answer. And now we're talking about Woakes V's Jimmy?

After Furball I'm probably JImmy's next biggest fanboi........is this clouding my judgement here?