• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #2- South Africa vs Australia - November 16th - Eden Gardens, Kolkata (D/N)

Spark

Global Moderator
Not surprising actually. IND and ENG are the only Team that have beaten AUS in ICC tournaments in knockouts in last 20 years

2004 ENG beat AUS in semi CT
2007 IND beat AUS in WT20 SF
2010 ENG beat AUS in WT20 F
2011 IND beat AUS in QF WC
2019 ENG beat AUS in SF WC
God that 2011 team was grim. The top seven looked okay on paper but a lot of that team was past it and the less said about the bowling attack picked the better.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
My issue with Bavuma is that he wasn't fit, you can't carry an unfit player to a World Cup Semi Final , fair enough he decided to take the risk, and now the consequence should be that he steps down as captain or gets sacked. There were others that underperformed in this match for sure, but that was the one controllable we failed at.

Spark

Global Moderator
That ball was still hopping around and going past the edge a lot of balls also in their powerplay. Don’t think enough credits given to head and Warner in that stage.
Well yeah but they would have batted like that anyway. Good conditions are no good if you don't use them properly.

Molehill

International Captain
Was the new ball stuff majorly conditions? I didn't watch the start of the SA innings closely enough to remember, but based on the rain delays it seems like it was overcast AF. From what I saw in the SA innings their pacers didn't get nearly as much out of the new ball as starc and haze did, despite rabada and jansen being quality new ball bowlers.
It certainly wasn't a bad time to bowl, but it wasn't 18-2 after 10 overs either (and shortly after 24-4). 250 was definitely achievable.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Was the new ball stuff majorly conditions? I didn't watch the start of the SA innings closely enough to remember, but based on the rain delays it seems like it was overcast AF. From what I saw in the SA innings their pacers didn't get nearly as much out of the new ball as starc and haze did, despite rabada and jansen being quality new ball bowlers.
Yeah there was a lot going for the bowlers that first innings. But South Africa didn’t really try out much pressure to get the bowlers out their rhythm as well. I just don’t think you can play that way where you’re just trying to survive for a long period. Was a lot of runs left out there for sure. South Africa went away from what worked in their batting today while Australia took their chances and didn’t.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, despite the fact we won thjs game, I don't think we played much differently to how we did in the first group stage game vs india. We've still got the same middle order issues vs spin. Zampa struggling to land the ball on the pitch this game also worries me going into a finals vs India. We need him at his absolute best to keep the pressure on them if we use the new ball well. Was one of the major reasons india got home so easily despite us getting them 2/3 in that group stage game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hazlewood and Starc basically didn't bowl a bad ball for eight overs and any they did were stopped in the infield. The one really aggressive shot QdK tried obviously didn't work at all

loterry1994

International Debutant
Think Bavumas wicket also made the others second guess themselves a bit as well. I said before the game started it would be on how de kock went. He just couldn’t get out early.

Molehill

International Captain
Honestly, despite the fact we won thjs game, I don't think we played much differently to how we did in the first group stage game vs india. We've still got the same middle order issues vs spin. Zampa struggling to land the ball on the pitch this game also worries me going into a finals vs India. We need him at his absolute best to keep the pressure on them if we use the new ball well. Was one of the major reasons india got home so easily despite us getting them 2/3 in that group stage game.
Agree with this. SA didn't quite have the manpower to exploit these issues. But I just don't see Head/Warner getting freebies off Bumrah/Siraj whilst the Indian spinners will be all over the middle order.

If the Indian batsmen see off the new ball ok, they will attack the spinners far more than SA did.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Agree with this. SA didn't quite have the manpower to exploit these issues. But I just don't see Head/Warner getting freebies off Bumrah/Siraj whilst the Indian spinners will be all over the middle order.

If the Indian batsmen see off the new ball ok, they will attack the spinners far more than SA did.
Lot of them in form but I don’t think they’ve had many complete performances all tournament. They’ve more had it if one or two guys fail. Another few guys would pick up the slack and have a big individual score and bowling spell

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Same old Aussies always winning
Same old south africa always losing in WC
Same old south africa always choking 😂.

Australia beat India too the Roman Empire about to fall.

East Bay Ray

Cricket Spectator
Squarely on the two Aust opening bowlers. They set the stage for the entire game in first 15 overs.
Maybe a 270 wicket. Miller showed it was not even close to being a minefield.

Congrats to Oz, but SA can go home knowing its an incredible year in sport. Rugger World Cup, plus SF in Cricket WC. Thats huge. The SA resurgence started halfway thru those warm up games v Oz in Sth Africa.

Never bet against Australia in a big tournament. I'll back them in on Sunday.

East Bay Ray

Cricket Spectator
Easy to forget, but if Australia win on Sunday it would make for an incredible and dominant 5 months of cricket.
World Test Champions, Retain Ashes, World Cup.
For what seems an ordinary Australian team, that would be nothing short of massive.