• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #2- South Africa vs Australia - November 16th - Eden Gardens, Kolkata (D/N)

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
batting first was a choke at toss as were all the drops

aus only had to deal with spin. sa had to battle movement from pacers and spin
Not really that much of a choke. The toss. Yeah there was more for pacers in the first innings and the bowling and fielding was immaculate but there was some bad and negative batting from SA in the first 10 overs. Some extremely poor shots.

And Rabada did got some help from the surface but the fielding and Jansen were thrash in the 2nd innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think Bavuma's call to bowl was that shocking tbh. Yeah it was spicy early but the back half of the SA innings was probably when batting looked the most comfortable, and there's no way SA would have wanted to chase a total of any magnitude on that surface.

Molehill

International Captain
I will say this: getting to the final already is well above what I thought this team could achieve this WC. Credit to Cummins and co for cobbling a campaign together given how ramshackle it looked at the start. India are the far better team on paper but finals can be funny things.
Apart from that semi in 2019, they generally always manage to find a way to perform to their utmost potential. I agree that India look far better and it appeared that everyone else was kind of much of a muchness, but Aus have made sure it's them who will at least be challenging India for the trophy.

I'm not sure if they've over-performed, but they found a way. Wish my lot did the same occasionally.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I don't think Bavuma's call to bowl was that shocking tbh. Yeah it was spicy early but the back half of the SA innings was probably when batting looked the most comfortable, and there's no way SA would have wanted to chase a total of any magnitude on that surface.
It’s one the luckiest toss losses imo.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
My brother in christ. You need to stop seeing the world in black and white, lol. De kock had a bad game. Quote me the post where I said bavuma's captaincy was good throughout the game, or when I said he's been fantastic this WC or this semi.
Bavuma was great this game. Perfect captaincy. Also, this woke nonsense has got to end. I'm sick of seeing MY childhood characters cast as people of colour.

Shri

Mr. Glass
aus would have been rolled below 150

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
I will say this: getting to the final already is well above what I thought this team could achieve this WC.
Agreed!

Did anybody back them to do so immediately after they went down 0-2 in their group?

I think most people had India vs South Africa or New Zealand at that stage.

Clicked at the right time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Apart from that semi in 2019, they generally always manage to find a way to perform to their utmost potential. I agree that India look far better and it appeared that everyone else was kind of much of a muchness, but Aus have made sure it's them who will at least be challenging India for the trophy.

I'm not sure if they've over-performed, but they found a way. Wish my lot did the same occasionally.
Yeah the one thing I'll say for the way this team is structured is that they have packed the team full of players who can just have "their day" and win a game of cricket on their own. Even if it seems patchy and inconsistent, all it needs is for two or three of them to have the sort of game we all know they're capable of putting together - if Starc bowls like today and it swings for a few overs etc - and the paper evaluation goes out the window compete

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both semifinals were great games and the unfancied opponents gave the favorites a proper run for their money.

Awesome stuff from RSA today after that start. For a change, they almost had their opponents choke.

Sunil1z

International Regular

Not surprising actually. IND and ENG are the only Team that have beaten AUS in ICC tournaments in knockouts in last 20 years

2004 ENG beat AUS in semi CT
2007 IND beat AUS in WT20 SF
2010 ENG beat AUS in WT20 F
2011 IND beat AUS in QF WC
2019 ENG beat AUS in SF WC

loterry1994

International Debutant
I don't think the toss was that important in the end. The key to it was a couple of top order batsmen throwing their wicket away instead of grinding it out. 250 was a winning total and was definitely achievable.
I think it was both captains wanted to bat. It could have easily been Australia 3 wickets down in the powerplay had they batted first and the momentum’s on the other end. Don’t think many predicted the pitch being this spicy

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not surprising actually. IND and ENG are the only Team that have beaten AUS in ICC tournaments in knockouts in last 20 years

2004 ENG beat AUS in semi CT
2007 IND beat AUS in WT20 SF
2010 ENG beat AUS in WT20 F
2011 IND beat AUS in QF WC
2019 ENG beat AUS in SF WC
This is good content. So it turns out Australia can't beat England in knockout games. Good to know

Spark

Global Moderator
I think it was both captains wanted to bat. It could have easily been Australia 3 wickets down in the powerplay had they batted first and the momentum’s on the other end. Don’t think many predicted the pitch being this spicy
They wouldn't have gotten any wickets if the sticks quicks bowled like they did with the new ball tonight, that was rancid stuff. Jansen bowling nine ball overs, Rabada serving leg stump half volleys or short wide trash etc

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Was the new ball stuff majorly conditions? I didn't watch the start of the SA innings closely enough to remember, but based on the rain delays it seems like it was overcast AF. From what I saw in the SA innings their pacers didn't get nearly as much out of the new ball as starc and haze did, despite rabada and jansen being quality new ball bowlers.

loterry1994

International Debutant
They wouldn't have gotten any wickets if the sticks quicks bowled like they did with the new ball tonight, that was rancid stuff.
That ball was still hopping around and going past the edge a lot of balls also in their powerplay. Don’t think enough credits given to head and Warner in that stage.