• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Official' Semi Final 2 - Pakistan v India

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pakistan v India
Wed Mar 30
Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local | 05:00 EDT | 04:00 CDT | 02:00 PDT

Pakistan Squad

Shahid Afridi (captain), Misbah-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Ahmed Shehzad, Asad Shafiq, Junaid Khan, Kamran Akmal (wicketkeeper), Mohammad Hafeez, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Akmal (wicketkeeper), Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Younis Khan

India Squad

MS Dhoni, (captain/keeper), Virender Sehwag, Ravichandran Ashwin, Piyush Chawla, Gautam Gambhir, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Virat Kohli, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Yusuf Pathan, Suresh Raina, Sreesanth, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Call this a defeatist attitude if you like, but I'd be far less shattered if we lost in the semi than had we lost tonight.

Not because India were playing Australia, but simply because had India lost tonight it'd have been a second unconvincing World Cup. A tie with England after scoring 330+, a loss to SA after being 250-1 or whatever, and then a measley win vs. an under-manned WI team that is rubbish at full strength anyway followed by a knock out in the quarters would have just been terrible.

Now if they lose to Pakistan, who are playing awesome cricket, whilst it'll really hurt some Indian fans, it'll be a far more reasonable result.

I really would just like to bat first against Pakistan. I do not want to chase again in a knock out match, let alone against a team with some quality spinners and Gul who can bend it like a boomerang under lights.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Call this a defeatist attitude if you like, but I'd be far less shattered if we lost in the semi than had we lost tonight.

Not because India were playing Australia, but simply because had India lost tonight it'd have been a second unconvincing World Cup. A tie with England after scoring 330+, a loss to SA after being 250-1 or whatever, and then a measley win vs. an under-manned WI team that is rubbish at full strength anyway followed by a knock out in the quarters would have just been terrible.

Now if they lose to Pakistan, who are playing awesome cricket, whilst it'll really hurt some Indian fans, it'll be a far more reasonable result.

I really would just like to bat first against Pakistan. I do not want to chase again in a knock out match, let alone against a team with some quality spinners and Gul who can bend it like a boomerang under lights.
Come hell or high water, we CANNOT lose to Pakistan at home!

Sure, I'll probably get over it (in 45 years or so) and Pakistan are really good and it won't be a shame to lose to them.. but this tie will be the biggest match of their life for most of our players.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
There was already a good article on cricinfo by Sambit Bal comparing the 2007 edition of the world cup & this one. 2007 world cup had everything going for it:
-> Super 8 format (that is supposed to produce more quality games)
-> World cup in the Carribean - the ultimate party land
-> Aussies slipping just before the world cup (to NZL) to open up the competition.

Yet it turned out to be a disaster, as Ind-Pak went out early, Woolmer died, Stadiums were empty, games were one sided and the super 8 was a yawner.

This world cup on the other hand had many things going against it:
-> Potentially boring group games
-> Stadiums were still not ready
-> Terror threats
-> Knockout format

Yet, this world cup has seen competitive games, packed stadiums, relatively contraversy free progress thus far. Needless to say, a Ind-Aus QF, Ind-Pak semis has further spiced it up. The ICC & BCCI wanted India to play as many games as possible to maximise TV revenues & it has almost happened. Financially successful and some great entertainment. Thats what world cups are supposed to be.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Imran wants Shoaib to be retained. He feels that while it's a risky move, he's a wicket taking bowler and that's what Pakistan will need against the mighty Indian lineup. I'm conflicted about that tbh. I see Imran's point, but that's a massive risk. He's past his prime, not in the best shape, and I can see him getting torn a new one by Sehwag and Tendu.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Come hell or high water, we CANNOT lose to Pakistan at home!

Sure, I'll probably get over it (in 45 years or so) and Pakistan are really good and it won't be a shame to lose to them.. but this tie will be the biggest match of their life for most of our players.
I understand that. But they'll get over it.

Now losing to Pakistan in a final would be a bit different IMO.

smash84

The Tiger King

agreed. If India do bat first the will give themselves a great chance to move to the final. Will be massive favorites if they bat first.

Waqar has been working hard on Gul and the results are there to see. Bowls really well with the old ball

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Battle of two of the most skilled fast bowlers in this tournament (irrespective of the conditions, state of the ball).. Zaheer and Gul. Both have all the tricks in their armoury and are bowling at a world-class standard ATM.

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran wants Shoaib to be retained. He feels that while it's a risky move, he's a wicket taking bowler and that's what Pakistan will need against the mighty Indian lineup. I'm conflicted about that tbh. I see Imran's point, but that's a massive risk. He's past his prime, not in the best shape, and I can see him getting torn a new one by Sehwag and Tendu.
Imran does have a point tbh but I can see the other side of the argument as well.

Besides Wahab Riaz has not been doing that well either...........a good strategy might be to get Shoaib's overs out of the way before the 40th over.

lol@ the part in bold

smash84

The Tiger King
Actually Wahab Riaz has not impressed at all in his 2 outings which makes the case for Shoaib somewhat stronger........and Shoaib has done decently against India I think