• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semi Final 1 - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T-Dub

Cricket Spectator
I wouldn't take too much out of last nights game with england; you're going get smashed if the best your bowlers can do is lob it down wide of off stump all night. England looked beaten within 10 overs, and the fielding was half-hearted against 2 batsmen in good form.

Though they are a good team, I don't think Sri Lanka are impossible to beat by any means. They've got 2 great bowlers, and 3 great batsmen, but not a whole team of stars.

The key will be getting Jayawardene and Sangakkara out cheaply and surviving Murali. If we can do that, we're in.

The best part is there is no expectations on NZ's shoulders, whereas because we're a team that is seen as easy-beats, the pressure on the Sri Lankans, playing at home in a crunch match, is amplified.

NZ showing grit in the field and with the bat will take it home.

That's possibly the most positive post I've written in months.

Lostman

State Captain
If SL bats first and make anything >225, I think it should be a SL win. SL's bowlers have had the edge over NZ for the past 10 years it seems. Under lights and chasing I just don't think NZ has the batting quality to chase anything significant against 30 overs of Murali, Malinga and Mendis. With the other 20 overs coming from a combination of Dilshan, Mathews and Herath.

I think NZ's best chance is to bat first and make 250ish.
A couple of early wickets and they can put SL's weak middle order under significant pressure.
So toss would be crucial for NZ.

If SL bat first I reckon; 80-20 SL
If NZ bat first; 55-45 SL

A couple of early wickets and they can put SL's weak middle order under significant pressure.
That really is the problem isnt it ? Getting those early wicket ?

Dilshan and Tharanga are in form of their life , Jayawardene and Sangakarra are World Class players and its zillion to one odds that they will make mince meat of the inspid kiwis bowling attack .NZ needs the balls seaming and jumpings under the lights to stand a chance

Mike5181

International Captain

Dilshan and Tharanga are in form of their life , Jayawardene and Sangakarra are World Class players and its zillion to one odds that they will make mince meat of the inspid kiwis bowling attack .NZ needs the balls seaming and jumpings under the lights to stand a chance
Had a rough experience with a New Zealand girl...guy before or something?

Flem274*

123/5
Kiwis are going to meet with the same fate as Pommies . They're going to be led like lambs to the slaughter.on tuesday and will go back home . They' be happy having gotten this far and simply lack the killer instinct to get into the final

Very weak bowling with no chris martin , Kyle mills. and I doubt they would even take the gamble of playing well the old strike bowler Tuffey for the next game. and They dont have any matchwinners like Shane Bond to trouble Sri Lanka .Also Vettori isnt 100. Nathan Mcullum is nothing exceptional

Kiws are also the chokers like Proteas and this would be 6th Would semi final loss. Period.
I meant Vettori isnt 100% fit .

Here are my score prediction for this game

If NZ bats first

NZ 165 all out
SL 165/1 in 30 Overs

If SL Bat first

SL : 320/5
NZ : 205 all out
Cant get what you're trying to say . Whats with Pat Symcox ?
The News Headlines would be

Lankan Lions thrash hapless kiwis.

:)

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yep, it was a big mistake not picking Chris Martin, one feels.

A zillion to one odds, huh?

Lostman

State Captain

Dilshan and Tharanga are in form of their life
Southee is one of the highest wicket takers in this WC, and Tharanga/ Dilshan always look edgy at the start. SL could easily be 1 or 2 down in the first couple of overs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Utter tripe being spilled here. If NcCullum's catch was given we'd have probably won that last match. Sri Lanka have an excellent top order and beyond Mathews very little in the middle to lower order. This is exactly the same problem the Yarpies had and look what happened there.

Beyond Malinga their pace attack doesn't really threaten us, Kulaskara is quite similar to a few NZ pacers and we seem to take to him. Their spinners will be the key to their bowling us out. Their frail middle order will be the key to our victory.

Vettori is likely to go for nothing and conditions might assist the likes of Oram and Styris to be difficult through the middle overs. NcCullum might spill a few runs but their is a huge amount of tension between him and the Sri Lankan top order that could potentially see him have a blinder of a match. Southee could be just as brilliant as Malinga if conditions suit.

This is a game that we're more likely to win than the last one. Sri Lanka's batting isn't as good as South Africa, and Sri Lanka's bowling well fancied isn't exactly overwhelming. Murali isn't at his best and the other spinners while decent are unlikely to entirely blow us away.

Backing us all the way, but naturally I was the whole way.

For the ball to Seam and bounce like it does Down Under and in England , there should be good layer of grass on the surface .The pitch at the Premadasa Stadium is like a Sahara desert . Absolutely Bald like Woodcock''s head and there is not a damn thing kiwis can do about it

And this is something they would need to take note of going into the next world cup which they're hosting in 2015 and The semifinal chokers would do well if they prepare grassy surfaces for a homeside advantage

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
For the ball to Seam and bounce like it does Down Under and in England , there should be good layer of grass on the surface .The pitch at the Premadasa Stadium is like a Sahara desert . Absolutely Bald like Woodcock''s head and there is not a damn thing kiwis can do about it

And t his is something they would need to take note of going into the next world cup which they're hosting in 2015 and The semifinal chokers would do well if they prepare grassy surfaces for a homeside advantage
:)