• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #1- India vs New Zealand - November 15th - Wankhede, Mumbai (D/N)

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he realised after last WC heartbreak that top scoring in WC doesn’t count for anything if you don’t win the cup.
Kohli needs to be reminded of that.

From overs 36 to 41 there was only 1 over where more than 5 runs were scored.

It was 2, 5, 5, 10, 5.. in those 5 overs

It brought down India's total by around 20 runs, all in the vain of trying to reach individual milestone. Overs 36 to 40 were the best time to go after the bowlers with 4 fielders outside the circle yet even Iyer only just tried to give the strike back to Kohli so that Kohli could keep ticking off the runs one single at a time. (Prior to this India were going at 8-10 an over)

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It brought down India's total by around 20 runs, all in the vain of trying to reach individual milestone. Overs 36 to 40 were the best time to go after the bowlers with 4 fielders outside the circle yet even Iyer only just tried to give the strike back to Kohli so that Kohli could keep ticking off the runs one single at a time. (Prior to this India were going at 8-10 an over)
They bowled well.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I don't get the slowdown criticism that much, when it's about a milestone that a lot of players and fans care about enough to do the same thing to reach it. It's a rare player who accelerates through consistently.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't get the slowdown criticism that much, when it's about a milestone that a lot of players and fans care about enough to do the same thing to reach it. It's a rare player who accelerates through consistently.
His personal milestone isn't more important than a World Cup match, let alone a knockout match.

Its hardly like the milestone wasn't going to end up happening anyway

Daemon

He started trying to smash immediately after his ton which was a dead giveaway tbh. I think the reaction to stuff like this is always ott, but it's undeniable he slowed down intentionally a bit.

As long as India keep winning, no one is going to remember.
Yeah he definitely slowed down for the ton. It was not ideal but will be forgotten and I hope he’s done with that sort of thing for good.

loterry1994

International Debutant

I think he did slow it down a bit that period. But hard to fault his innings cause he pretty much anchored most Indias innings at a good strike rate and didn’t take much risks to throw away his wicket. India didn’t have to rebuild at all once Kohli came in they just kept going at a good rate,The rest the batters that came in after felt no pressure to bat mainly due to Virats innings. People looking at a small period of his innings and not the bigger picture of what he set up for India.

Last edited:

Daemon

I think he did slow it down a bit that period. But hard to fault his innings cause he pretty much anchored most Indias innings at a good strike rate and didn’t take much risks to throw away his wicket. India didn’t have to rebuild at all once Kohli came in. The rest the batters that came in after felt no pressure to bat mainly due to Virats innings. People looking at a small period of his innings and not the bigger picture of what he set up for India.
Not really, most people acknowledge both are true. His innings went from a 9/10 to a 8.5/10 imo because of the slow period, which is still pretty ****ing good.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Not really, most people acknowledge both are true. His innings went from a 9/10 to a 8.5/10 imo because of the slow period, which is still pretty ****ing good.
If they lost that you’re blaming the bowlers more than that 5 over period of Virats. You should be able to defend 400 on any pitch. I know india won by a comfortable margin in the end. But when Phillips and Mitchell were going big it was still on till Kuldeep dragged it back with his last two overs

Silver Silva

International Debutant
This is like scolding your child for scoring 95% in an exam because you expected 100% score , it's a mountain out of a Molehill. 100 in a semi final at 100+ SR every Indian fan would have taken that from Kohli at the start of the game, his job was to bat through the innings and let others express themselves and he did his job.

Could have taken on a bit more risk? Definitely , but had he not gotten that 100 it could have also had a negative effect on the Indian team unless there are some toxic individuals we don't know about, because celebrating a 100 gives the team a brief moment to forget about the stressful game and applaud the innings and for sure the entire mood of that stadium would have changed if Kohli got out on 90 odd ..

This wasn't just any hundred, it was a 100 to move past Tendulkar on the all time list with Tendulkar in attendance at The Wankhede of all places. Let's not kid ourselves here , there are very few human beings out there that wouldn't be aware of such history that awaits and wouldn't be influenced by it , and those few probably wouldn't be good enough to reach 100 as often as Kohli has done in his career. We have to appreciate the circumstances and we all know the nature of Kohli , the same qualities that made him concentrate to get that 100 no matter what , are the same qualities that got him in that position in the first place.

Shri

Mr. Glass
think batters slowing down between 35-40th over is a team strategy rather than kohli's

conservative sure but maybe they are still worried about being 7 down in the 45th and losing the 60-70 runs that are guaranteed in the last 5

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Even in a scenario where NZ chased this total that the Indians ended up with, Kohli taking his time to get to his ton wouldn't be the main thing that cost India , it would have most certainly been the bowling that would have come under scrutiny the most .

For sure it would have been talked about, but if we take it for what it is , it actually is a very minute problem , not enough to bang on about it. Batsman slow down for a variety of reasons , and I believe one of the bowlers who came on with Kohli in the 90's was Santner , who is a master at not conceding a boundary at any stage of a batsmans innings.
I mean if you wanna use selective SR to beat a batsman with you've got to apply that same energy to everyone. For example Kane Williamson was 6 off 21 at one stage in a 400 run chase , if SR is the thing that matters most to you then 6 off 21 is still really bad regardless of the situation. But not a word about Williamson so far ..

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
think batters slowing down between 35-40th over is a team strategy rather than kohli's

conservative sure but maybe they are still worried about being 7 down in the 45th and losing the 60-70 runs that are guaranteed in the last 5
Iyer showed no signs of slowing down.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Of all the things that happened in the match, I care least about Kohli's record 50th century. Like, I care more about that one maiden over by Bumrah. Just putting it here for the record.