• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well played Ireland - dominant in all areas. As John Kirwan said, Ireland were favourites leading into this series so this isn't really surprising. When was the last time a touring team were favourites on NZ soil? Probably not since the Todd Blackadder days.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It felt like we didn’t play that well, although playing against 14 often feels that way. New Zealand were as poor as I’ve seen them.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It felt like we didn’t play that well, although playing against 14 often feels that way. New Zealand were as poor as I’ve seen them.
That first try was great... Ireland seem to just lose loose structure on occasion, and make silly mistakes. When at their best as good as anybody.

Uppercut

What did he do wrong? I thought he refed the game pretty well...
They reckon there was another clear red and a penalty try on NZ that he didn’t give. And that his commentary on the red he did give was absurd, just called it completely wrong.

Also when NZ went down to 13 and uncontested scrums they were supposed to lose another man, and he just plain got the rules wrong.

James

Cricket Web Owner
What did he do wrong? I thought he refed the game pretty well...
Yeah no complaints with the ref. Ireland well and truly deserved that win.

New Zealand were as poor as I’ve seen them.
If you've been following NZ Rugby the past couple of years, it's in a sorry state of affairs with the losses we've have and the depth of players. The calls for Foster to be dumped as coach will only get louder as the weeks go by. We're at our weakest in probably 20 years.

If you were naming a World 15 today, you'd have to think hard whether a single All Black would form part of the team which is almost unheard of.

Uppercut

1657359275123.png

This is one of them. No penalty try when 13 was taken out without the ball because ‘there was a covering defender’(???).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
They reckon there was another clear red and a penalty try on NZ that he didn’t give. And that his commentary on the red he did give was absurd, just called it completely wrong.

Also when NZ went down to 13 and uncontested scrums they were supposed to lose another man, and he just plain got the rules wrong.
So the first yellow did not hit the guy in the head. Never seen a red given for that unless you hit him in the head. The red was clear but also clearly unintentional. Hence his apology to player, showing empathy for a player is not the same as bias.

They lost a second prop after the red. They could not easily substitute until the yellow had passed. It was why they ended up losing Ardie Savea.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It has to "foul play prevents a probable try being scored". It was possible Ireland could've got a try, not probable. Very well deserved victory to the men in green though.

Uppercut

Can’t speak for the rest of the world but in Europe that collision gets a red every time these days. I have no strong opinion on whether it should.

With the penalty try, I saw some arguing that ***ton had missed the offload opportunity. I think it should be a penalty try, both in spirit and by the letter. I’d call it a probable try for sure, and I don’t see why the player who cynically wipes someone out off the ball gets the benefit of the doubt.

But it’s a defensible decision. The frustration on Twitter was more that the ref’s reasoning was insane. Literally saw a covering defender that didn’t exist.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on for usually watching UK commentary, but I'm watching the Australian commentary for the England vs. Australia game and some of the Australian bias is ridiculous.

ripper868

International Coach
Maybe I've got rose-tinted glasses on for usually watching UK commentary, but I'm watching the Australian commentary for the England vs. Australia game and some of the Australian bias is ridiculous.
I'm watching the sky sports feed and the English commentary has been horrid.

If you've got Phil Kearns etc on the aussie feed though, they are turgid.

England deserved that win tbf. Critical moment for me was the not straight lineout throw call on England 5m, where they subsequently went 90m and put 3 points up to make ot 25-17. If Faingaa gets that throw right, Aus maul, acore, take 2 point lead. But on such margins international matches are won.

2-0 NH so far. Reverse sweep of last week?

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's honestly a massive blight on Australian rugby and it feeds a whole culture of it among the fans and even people who should know better like the coaches. You used to be able to see Michael Chieka responding to literally every penalty conceded by Australia with outrage at the referee. There are plenty of Australians who seem to think they've never lost a fair game, especially against England.

Pretty sure social or someone will be in here shortly to explain why the referee was horribly biased in this game too, like all the refs were for the 8 games in a row they lost against England. Ripper is an absolute saint for rising above itbt

~

Edit: For a comparison with Sky commentary, the bias is there but I think it's different. It's usually taking the form of either overrating English players or just never talking about the opposition because they don't know who they are. They (looking at you, Stuart Barnes, but others are guilty as well) also have a bad habit of trying to badly wax poetic and start trying to show off instead of focusing on the actual game. It's dire but I don't mind that so much, as penalty whinging is the thing that really gets me.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
2-0 NH so far. Reverse sweep of last week?
3-0 if you count France beating Japan if you subscribe to the notion of the hemisphere battle as 'europe stick'.

Though on your second part I reckon Wales threw absolutely everything at getting within 3 of South Africa last week and they've barely a snowball's chance of getting over them today.

Flem274*

123/5
Merthens was baaaaad tonight. Noticeably more pro-aus than last season so perhaps orders from above.

Australia had an opportunity tonight. Not sure they get close next weekend with their injuries.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile the Fijian women's team beat PNG 152-0! They scored 24 tries and 15 conversions. That's the highest score ever in test rugby (men's or women's). This was a match in the 2022 Oceania Rugby Championship.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think that makes Ireland only the fifth* national side to win a test in NZ after the Boks, the Wobblies, Les Bleus & Albion.

Kudos.

*Excluding multi-national test teams like the Lions & the World XV, obvz.