• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not primarily aimed at Aussies I dare suggest; Lions tour seen as a huge cash cow from the Brits and Micks that will inevitably descend.

Disgraceful for all that though, yeah.

Molehill

International Captain
Not primarily aimed at Aussies I dare suggest; Lions tour seen as a huge cash cow from the Brits and Micks that will inevitably descend.

Disgraceful for all that though, yeah.
That's basically Twickenham. About £140 for your bog standard seat (I can't really see anything less than silver on the seat map). I'm guessing most of the Lions fans will be getting cheaper as part of packages anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's basically Twickenham. About £140 for your bog standard seat (I can't really see anything less than silver on the seat map). I'm guessing most of the Lions fans will be getting cheaper as part of packages anyway.
And it's still an absolute bastard to get tickets for England internationals at Twickers except for Italy and the token tier two nation we throw an autumn international at.

Molehill

International Captain
And it's still an absolute bastard to get tickets for England internationals at Twickers except for Italy and the token tier two nation we throw an autumn international at.
Played golf with a guy last week who was heading up to Twickenham in the afternoon for the Ireland game. His company had 8 tickets to every game and they were shared out between staff and customers. He had no idea on cost, he didn't even care much for rugby either (along with another mate of mine who regularly goes and used to utterly hate the sport). It's basically a corporate networking location now.

ripper868

International Coach
I know it's only once every 12 years, but that's steep. and rich to call the corner seats 'gold' at Suncorp. great stadium, great views, but the corner seats are silver at best.

Molehill

International Captain
I know it's only once every 12 years, but that's steep. and rich to call the corner seats 'gold' at Suncorp. great stadium, great views, but the corner seats are silver at best.
It's going to be utterly pointless anyway. Australia managed to lose to Wales in the World Cup who couldn't win a single game in the 6 Nations, god knows what an Irish dominated side does to them. I'm not even sure any Welsh will make the squad.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Here's your chance to fix it

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's going to be utterly pointless anyway. Australia managed to lose to Wales in the World Cup who couldn't win a single game in the 6 Nations, god knows what an Irish dominated side does to them. I'm not even sure any Welsh will make the squad.
RA is so incompetent that nobody here will know that the games are on anyway so results are irrelevant

ripper868

International Coach
Can't blame guys for going where the money is, hope they all make big bucks.

Sydney and Brisbane test sold out already apparently.

Going to be an absolute sea of red.

Molehill

International Captain
Wobblies want to get shot of Giteau's Law and select from players based anywhere.

Fair to say it hasn't done the Boks any harm.
Domestic rugby is falling in a hole in all but about 3 countries. There's a half decent squad of unselectable English players now developing in France....

ripper868

International Coach
Yep i understand the various unions wanting the domestic product to be strong, but perhaps it's time we accept French and Japanese rugby as where the money is, and then pick whichever players have said they'll play for which nation.

Course, the roll on effect of that is many many players becoming French/Japanes eligible...if Tupou were to go next year (or this if the Rebels fold soon) - he'd possibly be eligible for France/Japan if doesn't play another test for Aus while overseas.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Yep i understand the various unions wanting the domestic product to be strong, but perhaps it's time we accept French and Japanese rugby as where the money is, and then pick whichever players have said they'll play for which nation.

Course, the roll on effect of that is many many players becoming French/Japanes eligible...if Tupou were to go next year (or this if the Rebels fold soon) - he'd possibly be eligible for France/Japan if doesn't play another test for Aus while overseas.
And it's not like operating closed shops has helped the domestic game in all countries either, especially England, Wales and Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

As I understand players who want to change national allegiances must have a pre-existing qualification (birth, parents or grandparents) to the country they wish to play for in the future.

So if Tupou has a granny from Tokyo or Toulon he could play for the Cherry Blossoms or Les Bleus 3 years after his last Wobblies' cap.

Otherwise it'd be Tonga (I guess?) who'd benefit from the lure of the yen/euro.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And it's not like operating closed shops has helped the domestic game in all countries either, especially England, Wales and Australia.
That’s the crux of the problem

Very few people in Australia care about franchise rugby and never have but RA is broke more often than not so keeps signing up for it because it offers guaranteed income

However, given that it’s not popular, the income is limited so player salaries have to be as well

Don’t know the exact issue in England but do know that the Premiership (?) is tiny compared to say NRL and yet they wanted to pay similar salaries and inevitably some went broke