• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
It is a bit hypocritical when the English cricket team goes and picks those of South African birth. Surely they hand out English passports at birth over there just like they give out Italian passports in Brazil and Argentina?
Bit unfair to single out our cricket team! Our Union team is probably worse, if anything. In our 22 for today we've only got Van Gisbergen (Kiwi with Dutch passport who qualifies for us on residence), but recently we've had South African-born players like Matt Stevens, Mike Catt, Fraser Waters (although he was at least educated over here), Stuart Abbott & will cap Pat Barnard as soon as he's fit. Perry Freshwater, who would've played today were he fit, is NZ-born too.

& we're still crap. :p

PY

International Coach
Voltman said:
Well, when PY uses the word "ringer" to describe the players with Pacific Island heritage, can you see why we have a sense of humour failure about it?
I don't want you to spit it again but why do you react like that to everyone who merely mentions it without prejudice? I said it wasn't said with judgment and if any of the NZ team weren't born in NZ but play for NZ then to me, they are ringers. I don't know how many that applies to though from the way you've reacted?

I'm not criticising because we always do the same thing for us so it'd be hypocritical. To me, Pietersen is a ringer, as was Nass and all the other England cricketers who we've poached.

To me, they wear NZ and they're brilliant which is all I need to know.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Interesting decision in first few seconds. That looked good from Noon to me...

PY

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Looked foolish to me, walk in outside and he went for glory
Yeah definitely, seen it again and it's inconclusive but I've certainly seen them given on less evidence.

PY

International Coach
Bit of a thumping really, not sure the scoreline was quite fair but it never lies. They didn't play anywhere near their best but I've no idea where England's best is because we haven't hit it for such a long time. :(

We're going to be the whipping boys at the WC I reckon against top sides.

Love the way Dan Carter is flirting outrageously with the lady interviewer. :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
Bollocks. We've never given you a thrashing at Twickenham, and we won't be starting this weekend either.
21 points a thrashing, then Volts? Something not unadjacent to one at any rate. Rarely has being right given me so little pleasure. :p

Hard to take too many positives, really. The line-out was about the only area where we achieved parity. A curate's egg of a performance from young Allen; made the break that lead to Noon's try (the one that was given), but that pass for Rocokoko's try before the break wasn't so much telegraphed as gift-wrapped.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I got up and watched this game and I was suprised how willing England were to attack, shame Hodgson didn't have his kicking boots on though. Is anybody else sick of the NZ commentators having an orgasm over Carter everytime he catches a mildly difficult pass? Sure give the guy credit when he does something special but ordinary stuff doesn't need to be greeted with "Magical hands by Dan Carter" It really irks me.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
I said it wasn't said with judgment and if any of the NZ team weren't born in NZ but play for NZ then to me, they are ringers.
See,. that's just a ridiculously simplistic way of looking at it. Take Andrew Mehrtens for example - his parents were in South Africa on a working holiday and he was born in Durban. But is he a Kiwi? Of course he is - his dad was a Junior All Black after all.

Your definition of a ringer doesn't allow for the Pacific migration that naturally occurs in New Zealand (and any migration throughout the world) - rugby or no rugby. Joe Rokocoko moved to New Zealand with his family when he was 5 - are you saying he is a ringer, despite having spent all his childhood past infancy in New Zealand? The likes of Rodney So'oialo and Jerry Collins also arrived in New Zealand before they were 10.

Yes, I know it's just your opinion, but I'm disappointed if that's the only way you can look at it.

For the record, Sivivatu is a bit dodgier - having moved to New Zealand to take up a scholarship at Wesley College, and if young Auckland winger David Smith ever makes the All Blacks, I'd be decidedly uncomfortable about that, seeing as former All Black winger Bryan Williams allegedly enticed him over to New Zealand.

Brumby,

I was happy to be wrong. :D

I slept on the couch last night and set my alarm for 4.30am. I woke up and promptly fell back to sleep and woke up with 20 minutes to go, thus missing all the AB tries. :@

Craig

World Traveller
PY said:
I don't want you to spit it again but why do you react like that to everyone who merely mentions it without prejudice? I said it wasn't said with judgment and if any of the NZ team weren't born in NZ but play for NZ then to me, they are ringers. I don't know how many that applies to though from the way you've reacted?

I'm not criticising because we always do the same thing for us so it'd be hypocritical. To me, Pietersen is a ringer, as was Nass and all the other England cricketers who we've poached.

To me, they wear NZ and they're brilliant which is all I need to know.
What about Andy Caddick? :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, he's actually bloody good. He's a wee fella - probably about 1.75 at most - but he's got a sizzling step and great acceleration.

Matteh

Voltman said:
Joe Rokocoko moved to New Zealand with his family when he was 5 - are you saying he is a ringer, despite having spent all his childhood past infancy in New Zealand?
I still support Germany (behind Eng and Aus in the pecking order though) and i left there when i was 3.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Voltman said:
Joe Rokocoko moved to New Zealand with his family when he was 5 - are you saying he is a ringer, despite having spent all his childhood past infancy in New Zealand?
It's just like Strauss gets called a South African, despite moving over when he was about 4 or 5. It's mostly tongue in cheek for guys like this.

Matteh

Doesn't Geriant Jones actually still have an Australian twinge in his voice?
Then there's Greg Rusedski. Who is Canadian when he's not playing well, and English when he is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I think he was still playing grade cricket over here at about 18/19. Healy played some grade cricket or something against him, and remains an advocate.

PY

International Coach
Voltman said:
See,. that's just a ridiculously simplistic way of looking at it.
I never said I wasn't simple. :happy:

I can see how it gets annoying having it said but when you look at AllBlacks.com at the official squad and about a third of them aren't from NZ, I wonder how much better the Pacifics would be with those players and how NZ might not have this depth. :p